Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old August 3rd, 2005, 06:24 PM
Senior Contributor

My first time spending some time with a pit bull

I just had to say,the guy i am seeing has a boxer and a pit..I went to his house and spent about an hour or so with both,his pitbull was the sweetest thing i have ever seen,it would have a bone in its mouth and th boxer would get right up on him and put his mouth on the pits to get the bone and the pittie loved it,it was the cutest thing ever..The boxer was actually the mean dog.....Just wanted to say that,ok bye,....
Old August 3rd, 2005, 06:43 PM
Senior Contributor

A friend of mine has a very large pit and it's the nicest dog you want to meet. Takes a cookie with a softer mouth than my lab does. He suggested the dog would give me kisses and he nearly broke my nose by bouncing up to kiss me. Great dog!
Old August 3rd, 2005, 06:51 PM
Senior Contributor

I tell u he was so sweet the boxer was the holy terror,when they were on the bed the pit had the bone all the way in his mouth and the boxer would try and try to get it out and the pit bull would not growl or anything and finally gave it up to him,then on the couch he would just jump right in my lap,i tell u iam sold,he is a sweetheart/
Old August 3rd, 2005, 09:20 PM
And Zoodle's Mom!

Heidiho, did you get kisses from the Pit Bull?? Let me tell you, it's a kiss you'll never forget!! LOL Just be sure to take a deep breath before the kiss begins, you'll start gasping for air!!!! LOL

That's great you got to meet a Pit Bull! So many people just don't understand their personalities. It's those people that think us Pit Bull owners are all full of crap when we boast and brag about our dogs being soo friendly. They wonder why we do all we can to fight BSL to save our dogs and other breeds when these dogs are "inherently dangerous."

Hey, this is how I got hooked on the breed. An ex boyfriend had one and I fell in love with his dog! Most people say, I stayed in the relationship for the dog --which is mostly true! Jesse(dog) was the sweetest, most loving dog. I will never ever forget about him. I have a pic of him in my living room - he was like my own. And well, now I have 2 of them!!!! :love: It will be a sad day when my two pass on - knowing I can never own another.......unless I move out of the province!
Old August 3rd, 2005, 11:03 PM
Senior Contributor

Welcome to our world Heidiho...hope the boyfriend can compete with his dogs LOL He must be a pretty good guy to if he has good dogs though...not the worst way to size up a new beau...!spelling??? Does anyone say Beau anymore? no comments please Coppers Mom OL
Old August 4th, 2005, 09:16 AM

I've loved pit bulls ever since I can remember. They truly are very loving dogs!

I had the pleasure of living with one for a few months. He wasn't mine, but my cousins who was staying with us for a few months while they looked for a new place that would allow dogs. He was the sweetest, most loveable and playful dog ever! Boy, was he strong though and wasn't even full grown. Everytime he saw me, he would go bananas, he knew I would play with him forever. Pit Bull kisses are great! He is actually the dog that convinced my husband that Pitties are great dogs if raised correctly.

I have a few family members that have pitties or have had them in the past. All of which have been and are truly amazing dogs! I had always hoped that someday I would be able to have one all to myself, but with this new law, it doesn't look like that will be in the foreseable future.
Old August 4th, 2005, 09:36 AM
Senior Contributor

I was amazed the first time I met a pit bull too! I couldn't believe that this beautiful, sweet, people-loving, soft-natured silly clown with the expressive eyes was the man-eating monster the newspapers were yelling about!

Quote:
Let me tell you, it's a kiss you'll never forget!
Yeah, just keep your mouth closed if you don't want a foot-long tongue down your throat!
Old August 4th, 2005, 09:44 AM
Senior Contributor

That is to funny,yes he is a kisser when i sat on the couch he jumped right on my lap,heavy thing he is,and we kissed,his name is Blue,he is a blue pitbull,never heard of that,but he said he is a blue pitbill,and he actually looks blue,..Yeah i had a better time with the dogs then him,they were sweethearts and when my boyfriend went to the gargage for about ten minutes,the pit bull cried and cried at the door for him,i am in love....He is an awesome dog ,i now full y understand everyones love for them,i would get one in a second in ihad the finances......Greta dogs..
Old August 4th, 2005, 10:31 AM
Senior Contributor

The blue ones are gorgeous. And yes, they are lickers!
Old August 4th, 2005, 10:38 AM
Hazel's Personal Servant

Every pitty I've ever met has been a big sweetie! The only thing I didn't like was for those who have tails - the tail is like a whip, only harder, and will leave major welts because they wag em so hard! When I'm petting a pit, I always make sure I stay closer to the front end so they can't get me with that tail!
Old August 4th, 2005, 10:38 AM

There really are few other breeds that give kisses just like pitties. Anybody who receives one is hooked for life! Michael Bryant should have received one and maybe then he would have realized how dumb this law is!
Old August 4th, 2005, 10:45 AM

Honestly I have always been afraid of pit bulls...Everytime we would be near one my mom would grab and me and tell me not to look at it in the eye. My friend Kate has two pits bulls (a brindle and a blue) so I would never go to her house...
Finally after being left out from going to Kates house I sucked it up and went...I am so glad I did because I got to met two of the cutest and sweetest dogs in the world. They are so loving, loyal and have great personalities.
I am still a little nervous of pits that I dont know or who i think might be mean but for the most part Tuna (Brindle) and Rosco (Blue) have gotten me over my fear.
I think one reason they are so sweet is because Kate is very strict and has given them tons of training.
Old August 4th, 2005, 11:19 AM
Senior Contributor

Most are sweet to people by nature. It's the mean ones who have been influenced by people.
Old August 4th, 2005, 11:35 AM
Helicopter Champion

I haven't had a PB living in my house for many years so cannot really comment on the 'living with' aspect in today's anti-PB world. However, my most recent direct experience with them has been nothing but positive. I have seen some absolutely wonderful ones come and get adopted while volunteering at my local SPCA. One in particular was a young male (~ 2 years old) named Max. The only thing that he would purposely try to scare were rocks. Max didn't just like rocks, he loved rocks - he liked to carry them, chew on them, chase them, growl at them, push them around with his nose, etc, and the bigger the rock the better (as long as it could fit in his mouth). Even though he loved his rocks, he wouldn't say a word if you walked up to him and pulled one from his mouth (although you were risking getting your face washed). When he wasn't searching for rocks, he was leaving wide slobber marks on any living thing that stood still long enough for him to kiss. I'm not sure his tail ever stopped wagging. Absolutely fabulous dog when in the hands of the right people and treated the way they are meant to be treated.
Old August 4th, 2005, 12:39 PM

I'm so glad for you heidiho!!! Thats great news. I know you allways kept an open mind and never hated pits, but, you were not to sure why some of us loved them so much, but now you get it. My first experience with a pit was very similar to yours heidiho , and I have been hooked ever since. I just got a 15 month old rescued pit bull a month ago, and she is an absolute sweet heart, I thought for sure I would have my hands full with her, and she would have a lot of issues to deal with, but was I ever wrong. She has been the perfect dog since the first second I grabed her leash. She is a deffinet goof ball, loves to play and she is the most obediant dog I have ever owned, ban or no ban I will allways own a pit type dog.
Stanley- Tabby cat and King of the hut
dogster at.[url]http://www.dogster.com/?176592[/url]
Old August 4th, 2005, 01:47 PM
Senior Contributor

I honestly didnt know anything about them,his is beautiful,and sooo sweet,i would love to have one...If you could see him with the boxer it is adorable.......I was nervous when i got there,when he opened the door and he came up to me,it took about 5 seconds to see what a baby he is.......
Old August 4th, 2005, 04:35 PM
Agility Addict

I'm glad you enjoyed and liked the pit bull; from what I've read on this site they sound like amazing companions!

I wish my experiences with them could have been nicer. I really can't wait to meet a responsible pit bull owner and their pit bull(s). Unfortunately, every pittie I have spent time with or met briefly have been not so nice. Honestly, before I came to this site, I wondered why anybody would ever want one.

Thankfully, I came to this site and have been given the opportunity to hear about responsible pit bull owners and their amazing dogs; it has been a huge learning experience. Now, I just need to find someone like you did heidiho, so I can interact with a nice pittie too !
Old August 4th, 2005, 07:37 PM
Senior Contributor

Hey Lissa! anytime your in Toronto Rocky is available for a meet and greet LOL hes a big kisser too! And as mentioned previously "watch out for the tail!"
Old August 4th, 2005, 07:42 PM
Senior Contributor

Heidiho, Ive never seen a blue pit bull except for in books...wow...could you post some pics of your new LUVS? Rocky had one blue spot on his ear, which I cherished but it turned black just like his other spots at some point.
Old August 5th, 2005, 10:57 AM
Senior Contributor

Next time i go over there i will take pics,yeah he really is blue,and his name is blue,he is adorable......
Old August 5th, 2005, 11:14 AM
Senior Contributor

IF you lived in a place like California, you would see a million blue pit bulls - most of them in shelters and pounds. They're a dime a dozen.

There are hundreds, if not thousands, of completely disreputable people churning them out, with visions of getting rich. Yah right.

Here's a gorgeous blue dog, dumped of course, now safe and happy at Pitcrew Rescue!
Attached Images

Last edited by Lucky Rescue; August 5th, 2005 at 11:20 AM.
Old August 29th, 2005, 10:50 AM
Senior Contributor

My friend e mailed me pics of his pit and boxer but i do not know how to get them here,anyone have an e mail i can send them to???
Old August 29th, 2005, 11:22 AM
And Zoodle's Mom!

i sent you a pm HeidiHo!!
Old August 29th, 2005, 04:29 PM
And Zoodle's Mom!

Here's the first Pit Bull Heidiho had the pure pleasure of meeting!! His name is Blue and he's a handsome fellow!!! :love:
Attached Images

Old August 29th, 2005, 04:30 PM
And Zoodle's Mom!

And here is Blue with his buddie the boxer, but I don't know his name!
Attached Images

Old August 29th, 2005, 04:44 PM
Senior Contributor

thank u,went there this weekend i LOVE his pit..........
Old August 29th, 2005, 05:41 PM

it is my opinion that a pit bull is the best dog u can own we have three and one that is about to deliver. they are the sweetiest dogs ever the reason so many have bad nammes and there are so many laws is that alot of people would rather fight them than love them. we will not ever have a puppy go to someone who fights them. we are trying to get a license to become a pit bull rescue. some people just dont care about their dogs but for those of us who do pit bulls are great
Old August 29th, 2005, 06:32 PM
Senior Contributor

He is one of the most docile dogs i have ever met,they are so cut together....
Old August 30th, 2005, 07:32 AM
owned by Tucker

Tucker and I met a pitbull in the park one day, I asked if the dog was friendly as I ask with all dogs. The owner says you relize that it is a pitbull, I said I know but is he friendly, the owner said yes and Tucker ended up having a great time with him. I wonder how they are taking the ban, I don't see him very often.
Old August 30th, 2005, 10:24 AM

He's a cutie pie....