Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Gardening

Old August 3rd, 2005, 04:52 PM
Senior Contributor

HELP crap looking night jasmin (jasminoides nocturnum)

oh this sucks, my poor night jasmin will never flower again at this rate.

now this poor thing, it is about 15-20yrs old, it was taken as a cutting from a very special friends mothers house, it was then grown by wonderful friend in a pot, it is now in a huge pot and has been for a very long time... it grows in the centre of the pot and is surrounded by native aussie violets that grow in a carpet and flower purple, very pretty and i have looked and their roots dont seem to be interfering with the jasmins roots.

well stupid mel went and cut it back a few years ago, i cut it right back, now it is all straggly and stringy and has lost its bulky beauty, it has also not flowered in 2yrs....

it jsut does not look full and bright, has any one got any suggestions for this poor plant, how cna i get it back to its former glory?? this is a very special pot plant to me simply because of the wonderful friend that gave it to me, he entrusted me with it andi dont wnat to kill it, it would be very very sad...

any advice will be wonderful, thanks
Old August 3rd, 2005, 05:01 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Melsie I don't know what you can do for that other then just wait?
Old August 3rd, 2005, 05:06 PM
Senior Contributor

when cutting things back should i cut it all the way back or half way??

perhaps i should jsut leave it alone for a few yrs, its getting plenty of water as im bucketing water to it about every 3 days, i dont know, poor thing. how awful

i was thinking about contacting one of our many celebrity gardeners here, and getting their help, it truly is that special aplant, and my friends mum originally had the parent plant for about 30yrs, so all up this plant has 50yrs of history. ny friend is so special to me, he is like my older brother he is so sweet and i will always love him, so its jsut very special to me.... i msut save it i will see...

Last edited by melanie; August 3rd, 2005 at 05:08 PM.
Old August 3rd, 2005, 05:43 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Your climate is so much different then ours

There are bushes I only trim back and at certain times of the year. Others you can cut back fully and they rebloom lovely the following season. But we have months and months of dormancy so I 'm at a loss to say what else to do?
Old August 3rd, 2005, 06:36 PM
owned by Tucker

Try cutting back some of the stringy parts, I wouldn't cut them back more than half way and make cuttings out of them. That way you will have more plants, you could give some away or keep them incase this one dies. That should help thicken up the one you have as it will reshoot.
Old August 4th, 2005, 05:10 PM
Senior Contributor

thanks guys, i will try that. spring will be sprung here soon so i will try it then, agina thanks heaps forthe help, i love that plant...
Old August 4th, 2005, 06:08 PM
Senior Contributor

Has it got good soil? High phophorous fertilizer to encourage blooming. Blooms Plus is 10-60-10.
Old August 4th, 2005, 06:10 PM

mel -- I haven't had much luck with night jasmine but a friend of mine recently told me WHY this could be...

One - I always thought night jasmine was a type of jasmine.. but it's not! It's actually in the nightshade family. And what do I know about nightshade? Sooo.. She told me not to prune it all the way back but just do 'shaping' trims now and then -- particularly of any upward twining stems. THEN to get it to bloom.. Leave it alone! If you happen to be fertilizing -- stop. Apparently this is one of those plants that prefers downright crappy soil to bloom. Aha! In a nutshell - this is one of those plants you can love to death... so love it from a distance and leave it alone some.

http://www.vasavana.blogspot.com
Old August 6th, 2005, 05:17 PM
Senior Contributor

oh guys yoru the greatsest, thank you soooo much. yes i have definatly been loving it to death then, jsut like my dog (bad habbit that). it is in totally crap soil, due to its size its almost impossible to repot, and its surrounded by violets and its so pretty so i have never wanted to disturb it.

see ive been hassling the poor thing for years, abotu 5 yrs ago it was perfect and flowered every year, its the msot amazing smell to go to sleep to just dreamy... so i am going to stop hassling it straight away, thank you all so much, im so grateful, i love this plant...
and interesting to know its not a jasmin, a friend of mine swears its jasminoides nocuturnum, but i suppsoe it could be perhps in refernece to the similar smell, botanical names are a bit like that at times, jsut odd...
Old August 18th, 2005, 07:26 PM
<-----nut ball

Sorry to jump in late, but I would consider repotting it or top-dressing it this spring.

If you want to keep it in the same pot, pull out the whole root bulb and such and wash it off with water.

With sharp scissors cut off 2 inches of the rootbulb all the way around.

Put new fresh soild and compost and such (not too heavy, add some perlite to a ration of 1/3 compost, 1/3 black earth, 1/3 perlite), add the roots back in, the top with more fresh soil. Water deeply until water comes out the bottom of the pot.

If you have Super Thrive there, add a few drops to the water to help with transplant shock.

Make sure you water once a week with a 10-50-10 fertilizer (or numbers close to that) and you should get blooms this year.