Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old July 30th, 2005, 08:50 AM
Senior Contributor

Canadian SPCA?

Interesting article re Canadian SPCA.

http://www.spcans.ca/library/Press_R...un05_CSPCA.htm
Old July 30th, 2005, 09:02 AM
Senior Contributor

The Canadain SPCA is actually the SPCA Montreal. There Employees have high salaries and the animals get euthanised.
Old July 30th, 2005, 09:05 AM
Senior Contributor

The article mentions that it is a Montreal group.Misleading campaign I think.

All SPCAs euthanize animals.
Old July 30th, 2005, 09:07 AM
Senior Contributor

Not all SPCA'S euthanise animals....SPCA Monteregie is the largest no-kill SPCA in the Province of Quebec. All animals are healthy and sterilized. SPCA Monteregie has over 250 dogs and 75 cats (not including kittens)

SPCA Montreal is known to hussle money from other Provinces.
Old July 30th, 2005, 09:11 AM
Senior Contributor

They dont ever euthanize animals?I find that hard to believe.No kills kill animals all the time.
Old July 30th, 2005, 09:17 AM
Senior Contributor

Only if the animal is EXTREMLY sick and there's no hope for it.Cancer...
Besides that NEVER! Check out their website www.spcamonteregie.com
or call them and ask them for yourself. NEVER! Unless the animal is EXTREMLY sick no hope and the animal is suffering from that sickness.

I also posted your news article on the news section about a month ago and the Director of the SPCA Montreal was defending his actions for asking people from Nova Scotia for money

Last edited by poodletalk; July 30th, 2005 at 09:19 AM.
Old July 30th, 2005, 09:22 AM
Senior Contributor

Wow,its different here in Ontario.I had always heard Montreal was worse so that is surprising that its not.
Old July 30th, 2005, 09:27 AM
Senior Contributor

Like I said, SPCA Monteregie is the largest no-kill in the Province of Quebec. SPCA Monteregie is NOT affilated with other SPCA'S. They are on their own.
If you are impressed with the SPCA Monteregie, well you can always show your support by sponsoring an animal or buying their annual calendars. Or telling people to adopt animals from them. They are raising money for their new building fund. (see their website and you will see the details about their new building)

The SPCA Monteregie is out in the country, so the animals are not in cages all day long, they are put outside to run in large enclousures. It's very beautiful out there.
Old July 30th, 2005, 09:30 AM
Senior Contributor

Sounds great.I guess they have to turn down animals when they are full.Our no kill shelters do euthanize animals when rescues cant take them(the ones that will deal with rescues).I saw some posts about urgents dogs in the other SPCA in Monreal,can this one take them in?
Old July 30th, 2005, 09:38 AM
Senior Contributor

Even though they are running at full capicty, adoptions create roations which ables to take in one more. You have to understand, SPCA Monteregie does a great job on very limited funds.Animals are coming in every day from people who were going to euthanise their dog or cat neglect cases, abused cases, dogs cats who just had a litter and they are still nursing their animals and of course strays. If more people adopted from no kill SPCA'S or rescue groups, their wouldn't be a need for kill SPCA'S OR pounds.
Old July 30th, 2005, 09:39 AM
Senior Contributor

I believe the SPCA Monteregie is the ONLY no-kill shelter in this province, and to my knowledge also the only one to actually promote their animals and do something to try and get them homes.
Old July 30th, 2005, 09:41 AM
Senior Contributor

I do understand that,I run a rescue.Ontario shelters face the same thing as well.But they do euthanize animals when rescues cant take them,so they are animals that could be saved IMO.I hope they can take the ones in need from the other shelter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by poodletalk
Even though they are running at full capicty, adoptions create roations which ables to take in one more. You have to understand, SPCA Monteregie does a great job on very limited funds.Animals are coming in every day from people who were going to euthanise their dog or cat neglect cases, abused cases, dogs cats who just had a litter and they are still nursing their animals and of course strays. If more people adopted from no kill SPCA'S or rescue groups, their wouldn't be a need for kill SPCA'S OR pounds.
Old July 30th, 2005, 09:45 AM
Senior Contributor

Actually Lucky, theirs a new no-kill SPCA just opened about 6 months ago. They are not running on the scale of SPCA Monteregie yet. But they are a no kill SPCA. I believe they are located in the laurentians! (can't remmber) I wll do some research and let you know.

Yes, the SPCA Monteregie works very hard to promote their animals and find them their forever homes.

Theirs a dog adoption day in Knowlton on August 20th at mill pond park between the hours of 12:00-3:00. All animals are sterilized with up to date vacinations. For more info go to www.spcamonteregie.com

Last edited by poodletalk; July 30th, 2005 at 09:49 AM.
Old July 30th, 2005, 10:27 AM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

Montreal SPCA

I heard heresay - SPCA euthanizes over 75% of animals that go through their doors. They do have adoptions and charge I believe $185/dog which includes s/n and vacc - but no follow up if adopters actually do this. meaning if u want to breed say a purebred - hey, it only cost u the adoption fee.

I also just found out the Montreal SPCA accepted and signed a municipal contract Dec 7/04 with our Sud/Ouest city (part of Montreal) to act as OUR pound...

It's a no wonder - they don't have the time to say act when a complaint is made against animal abuse!!!!! Their TOO busy picking up unwanted animals - just to sell them. IMO of course
Old July 30th, 2005, 10:29 AM
Senior Contributor

They charge for neutering and dont do it?
Old July 30th, 2005, 10:30 AM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by LL1
Interesting article re Canadian SPCA.

http://www.spcans.ca/library/Press_R...un05_CSPCA.htm
someone e-mailed me this in June as well! Imagine
Old July 30th, 2005, 10:36 AM
An Honest Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LL1
They charge for neutering and dont do it?
They don't enforce it, is what I meant. I mean rescue's from what I know charge adoption fees but usually s/n n vacc b4. once in while for health/age adoption is done but they follow up and make sure u s/n. But SPCA charges fees - and if animal is not s/n yet - u just make an appointment.

ex: My sister 3 yrs ago adopted a non s/n dog from there, signed a contract that she agrees to s/n but decided to go to her own vet instead. Yes at her own cost but no one ever questioned her!
Old July 30th, 2005, 10:38 AM
Senior Contributor

Wish they neutered before adoption,thats awful,is this for adult animals or just pups/kits?
Old July 30th, 2005, 10:53 AM
An Honest Contributor

All I know is if the animals are not s/n prior for whatever reason's you can adopt but must sign a contract that you will have it done at their expense bec it's included in fees. But this too is not enforced - who's checking ...

At least with my sister's dog - this is exactly what happened. She has the contract but she also has her vet bill to prove s/n but no one every questioned her.

That's why alot of rescue's here are contacted prior to adoption esp if they c it's a pure bred. But these rescue's don't get paid for their work !!! SPCA does.
Old July 30th, 2005, 10:56 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Wish they neutered before adoption,thats awful,is this for adult animals or just pups/kits
NO animals are spayed/neutered. Period.

Adopters pay for it, and take a voucher home, but if they decide to breed that dog or cat the next day, they are perfectly free to do so.

Obviously the voucher system does not work and does nothing at all to cut down overpopulation.

Right here on this board someone told of her friend adopting a cat from the SPCA, then whoops - it's pregnant. Think of this happening 500 times a year, and imagine the consequences.

They adopt out one cat, and get back 5. Or much worse, if just one of the offspring has a litter as well.
Old July 30th, 2005, 10:57 AM
Senior Contributor

Who contacts the rescues?
Old July 30th, 2005, 11:04 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
theirs a new no-kill SPCA just opened about 6 months ago.
Is this the one you mean? Laurentides-Labelle?

http://www.petfinder.org/shelters/QC11.html

Quote:
Who contacts the rescues?
I know there are some volunteers who try to help by contacting rescues. This is how we heard about the 2yr old Himi, who was subsequently killed.

Last edited by Lucky Rescue; July 30th, 2005 at 11:08 AM.
Old July 30th, 2005, 11:09 AM
Senior Contributor

Yes Lucky, thats the new no kill shelter.

Yes, I know of a story of a family adopted a female husky. OOPS, the female husky got pregent the family dumped the husky and her litter. Of course, they didn't go back to the SPCA Montreal because they didn't want their dogs euthanised!

Last edited by poodletalk; July 30th, 2005 at 11:12 AM.
Old July 30th, 2005, 11:10 AM
Senior Contributor

Thanks for clarifying that they do not neuter anything Lucky.When rescues are contacted by volunteers are the animals released to the rescues or do they want them to adopt them?Or send adopters?
Old July 30th, 2005, 11:13 AM
Senior Contributor

SPCA Montreal

Yes Lucky, thats the new no kill shelter.
Yes, I know of a story of a family adopted a female husky from the MOntreal SPCA unsterilized. OOPS, the female husky got pregent the family dumped the husky and her litter. Of course, they didn't go back to the SPCA Montreal because they didn't want their dogs euthanised
Old July 30th, 2005, 11:13 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

How horrible that they don't spay or neuter

Sounds just like TAS
Old July 30th, 2005, 11:14 AM
Senior Contributor

Do either of the two you posted are no kill release to rescues?
Old July 30th, 2005, 11:15 AM
Senior Contributor

Those 3 urgent German Shepherds that are going to be euthanised, from what I heard and I believe this, they are NOT in the adoption room. They are in the basement where the strays are. They can't get adopted if they are not in the adoption room.
Old July 30th, 2005, 11:20 AM
Senior Contributor

Will the no kills you mention take them?Do the no kills release to rescue as well?
Old July 30th, 2005, 11:22 AM
Senior Contributor

Even though they are no kill shelters, they cannot rescue every dog or cat in Quebec. I don't know if they release their dogs to rescues. You need to contact them and talk about it.