Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Foster talk - Rescue talk - NO listings please

Old July 27th, 2005, 04:15 PM

Skittles

Skittles is the cat who was hit by a car, dragged, and then left for dead in the Plateau. He was crawling, dragging his body, by his front legs when he was found. I saw him at my vet clinic where I happened to be visiting my 19 yr. old cat who wasn't feeling well. They were going to euthanize him because they didn't have the expertise to deal with such a massive wound (8" diameter on his thigh right down to the muscle layer) but he had such a look of determination in his eyes that I couldn't let them. I brought him to the DMV. The original quotation was much lower than the final price turned out to be when I had him transferred yesterday back to my regular vet. His entire wound was stitched up and his leg was amputated because there was no more femur. In other words, they did a great job.

Thanks to lots of kind folks from the States, I have received about $1200 CAD in donations that were called straight in to the DMV. I am now collecting donations through my vet clinic to help with his massive bill. If you can help, please send a donation to:

Skittles Fund
***Please do not request donations be made to a private individual. Please make arrangements with your veterinary office to set up an account "in trust" for Skittles. Please feel free to post that information once the account is active. Thanks, WW***

THANK YOU.

PHOTO OF SKITTLES TAKEN YESTERDAY: WARNING: GRAPHIC
(he is a billion times better than he was before)
Attached Images

Last edited by White Wolf; July 27th, 2005 at 07:58 PM.
Old July 27th, 2005, 04:55 PM
Crazy About Chow Chows

He looks great now! All you have to do now is wait for the hair to grow back! You are an .

EDIT: 100th post! Woohoo!

Surria (Clos de Lion's Spirit of Fire), 1 yr old Chow Chow (female)

Tigra, 2 yr old Pomeranian (female)

Kiki (Angelspur's Icy Dream) 1 yr old Persian (female)
Old July 28th, 2005, 11:16 AM
Senior Contributor

How much is left on the bill,you paid $2ooo and you also had $1200 donated yes?
Old July 28th, 2005, 04:03 PM
Senior Contributor

I also wondered about this when I read your post. Please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe you are Lisa. If so, I would suggest that the cheques be made payable to the vet clinic, with funds designated for Skittles treatment, rather than to you personally. Should collected funds exceed Skittles' expenses, they should be allocated to assist other pets in need at your vet's discretion.
Old July 28th, 2005, 04:41 PM
Senior Contributor

Yes, this is Lisa. She is well known to our rescue and others, and also to vets in the area as a person of enormous and endless compassion who will do whatever it takes to help animals in desperate need.

She takes animals whose only other option is euthanasia, and who NO one else will adopt or care for, and spares no money, time or emotional committment to make them well and happy!

Nice going Lisa!!!
Old July 28th, 2005, 06:56 PM
Senior Contributor

Lucky, I can apprecate Lisa's efforts as I know many, many people who do same. But I still feel that as Lisa is asking for financial assistance from people who do not know her, a certain comfort level is needed for people wanting to help - knowing the cost of Skittles treatment and making cheques payable to the vet would provide some form of comfort. Just my opinion and really all I have to say on the matter.
Old July 29th, 2005, 02:55 AM
Senior Contributor

I agree with you Snow Dancer.
Old July 29th, 2005, 06:35 AM
Senior Contributor

I don't"know"Lisa personally,but know what a wonderful person she is,I wish we had a million more like her,someone totally devoted to the care of undesirable,helpless animals.
Of course,people are leery to send money to any cause these days,there is so much scamming going on,but I believe Lisa is legit and any moneys collected will go to the care of Skittles,like it has to so many others. :love:
Old July 29th, 2005, 07:23 AM

I think it is great what Lisa is doing! It is awesome that she is trying to save this cat that most people would have euthanized considering the extent of his injuries and the cost associated with the treatments. Like Chico said, people are extremely leery about sending money and want to know more details. I think that for people who don't know Lisa and what she has done, especially new people to the board, it would help to know a bit more about the cost of the treatments. People like to know what they are donating towards. It would allow people to trust her more.

Good work Lisa! I really wish there were more people like you in this world, it would make for a much kinder place to live!
Old July 29th, 2005, 08:52 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
But I still feel that as Lisa is asking for financial assistance from people who do not know her, a certain comfort level is needed for people wanting to help - knowing the cost of Skittles treatment and making cheques payable to the vet would provide some form of comfort
I don't disagree with that in the least. If this were someone I didn't know at all, I would feel the same way of course.

I was just trying to give a little more information, not saying you should send cheques to a stranger.
Old August 2nd, 2005, 04:49 PM

Thank you for your kind words and you are all right.

You can make the cheques payable to The Animal Health Clinic or Dr. Alan Gilmore.

Originally, I put down $2200 CAD at the DMV. The DMV itself gave the maximum donation for his care from a special fund, which is $1000 CAD. I received $1100 CAD in donations made either straight to the DMV or to me via paypal. The total bill was $6800 CAD. I have a balance of $2500 CAD to pay at the DMV. I am accepting donations now at my vet. I will use the money to pay the balance at the DMV and to pay for this last week of treatment he's had at the Animal Health Clinic.

Again, the address is:

The Animal Health Clinic
Skittles Fund
c/o Lori Sholzberg
5601 Sherbrooke St.
Montreal, Quebec
H4A 1W4

You can make the cheques payable to The Animal Health Clinic or Dr. Alan Gilmore, DMV.

THANK YOU and I hope that this info is okay to give out. If not, then maybe the moderators can PM with a way to fix it.

Lisa and Skittles.
Old September 8th, 2005, 05:16 PM
Senior Contributor

Skittles

How's skittles doing?
Old September 12th, 2005, 05:16 PM

Update

Hello Everyone,

I am so sorry for the long gap between updates but
a family member has been very ill.

Skittles is a true joy. He has completely healed. We call him our Mennonite cat because he looks like a quilt as the fur halfway up his back (donated from the inside of his amputated leg) is much lighter than his normal brown tabby fur. We actually are great friends with the local Mennonite community and when we told them this they laughed and laughed.

He is out of "solitary," after being vaccinated, but I have had a hard time getting a photo of him because he hides. I suspect that he was a semi-feral cat when he was hit by the car and that he was forced to be around people (and semi-tamed) during all of his treatments. We do have Skittles "sightings" though and when I whistle to him and stick out my hand, he comes hopping over for pettings. He loves to get his chin scratched and after a few minutes of loving, he will usually flop on his back and purr up a storm. When the dogs are out running around on the farm, he will come out and snuggle on the couch with either Amos, a dark grey kitten saved from a country death, or Norton, our flame-point Siamese kitten that we nursed from the age of 2 days (from SOS Miow). When he hears a noise, he usually will immediately go back under the couch but lately he has been staying out a bit longer. Sometimes, I will happen upon him on the window sill and he will
look at me with those huge, expressive green eyes of his.

He has adapted well to having no back leg. He does occasionally stumble but I notice that he has been doing it less and less. He never licks at where his long Frankenstein wound was and if I run my hand along it, there is no scar tissue - not even a ridge. The wound at the base of his tail has healed so completely that I would be hard-pressed to tell you exactly where it was.

All in all, he seems to be happy. He is our miracle cat and we love having him in our lives. The way that his wound has healed, and the way that he has
come around from being homeless, proves to me time and again that this cat was worth every penny and then some. He has a lot of heart, and we could all learn a lesson or two from him on the will to survive and on how to adapt to physical deformities.

I will try to get a photo and send it soon. I always remind Skittles, during a flop-on-the-back love session, that a lot of people love him and helped him.

He just looks at me with those eyes, and if he could smile, I know he would.

Lisa and Skittles.
Old September 12th, 2005, 08:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Thank you Lisa,that is GRRREAT news,you are the best
Is Skittles going to be staying with you??
It's amazing how much resiliance(sp?)and adaptability these little guys have.
to you and amazing little Skittles!!