Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Foster talk - Rescue talk - NO listings please

Old July 17th, 2005, 04:48 PM

Help Needed: SKITTLES

Although I vowed never to post on this board again, I need help from people who are willing to do so.

I was at the vet last Thursday visiting my 19 yr. old cat who is not feeling well. In the cage beside him was a brown male tabby with the most horriifc wound I have ever seen in my life. It is 8 inches in diameter, over his left thigh, and the tissue is gone right down to the muscle layer. I was told that someone had found him left like that at the side of the road and had brought him in. For whatever reason, that person did not want the cat and could not afford treatment. I petted his head and found him to be loving an affectionate and rather young at 2 yrs. of age. He tried to get up to follow my hand when I withdrew it from the cage, but, of course, he couldn't.

When I went to visit my cat on Friday morning, I saw that the tabby was laying on a blanket with no food or water or a litter pan. He was still alert and loved getting his neck rubbed. I discovered that he was about to be euthanized because of lack of funds and because the vet really didn't have the expertise to deal with such a case. This poor boy was looking at me with his green eyes and I just couldn't refuse his silent plea for help, so I brought him to the DMV. I had wanted to bring him to St. Hyacinthe, but they were called and I was told that as there was no surgeon there until Monday, I should bring him to DMV.

At DMV, he was x-rayed and examined immediately. It was discovered that his left rear leg was shattered and that he had no more femur. His wound seemed stable. He was given an IV, major pain meds, and an antibiotic. I was told that his initial care would be an estimate of $1500.00 with an additional $1500.00 for the amputation of the left rear leg. I was told he had a good prognosis and that he was a wonderful cat.

On Saturday, he needed a transfusion because his hematocrit was low because of the internal bleeding in his crushed leg. He also was developing a bad smell in his wound and needed a specialized treatment for his wound. He still was not suffering and was fighting. The cost went up.

Today, it was discovered that his pelvis on his good side is cracked but reparable, during the same surgery. Also, the skin from the leg that they remove would be grafted onto his wound. Because this added onto his time under, the cost of the surgery has gone up dramatically.

The estimate is now $6000.00. I am committed to helping this cat. He wants to live and even eats on his own. His will has impressed everyone. I have put $2000.00 down and would have been able to find that extra $1000.00 to fulfill the initial estimate, but now I am really out of funds. I am unemployed and have been using the money I saved up to replace my 1991 Mazda that I drive.

If you can help Skittles, please call the DMV with your credit card donation. I need to come up with more money before tomorrow so they can do the surgery. The other option is to move him to St. Hyacinthe, but I don't want him to travel with his unaligned bones.

SKITTLES
file: Lisa Saroli
Centre Veterinaire DMV
2300, 54th Avenue
Lachine, Quebec
514-633-8888
514-855-5555
1-800-463-8555
www.centredmv.com

He is being treated by Drs. Lefevbre and MacNeill.

THANK YOU. He deserves a chance.

Last edited by canine14; July 17th, 2005 at 04:51 PM. Reason: spelling
Old July 17th, 2005, 06:27 PM
Senior Contributor

Have you contacted imom.org? They help caes like his tho will ask you for financial info, etc.
Old July 17th, 2005, 10:34 PM
Senior Contributor

Ohhhh a lot of money.

Have you looked into Care Credit ?
Old July 18th, 2005, 09:46 AM

Thanks Cyberkitten but I don't qualify for imom.org. I looked into it. I will try Care Credit, Lucky, but I just bought a farm and I don't know if I'll get the credit.

I have to find a way to help him.

Lisa.
Old July 18th, 2005, 09:56 AM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

That's a huge amount of money for one cat. Have you looked into doing it elsewhere for less? Short distance transportation with sedation should be safe. Also, what are the guarantees about the amputation. I had similar with a cat of mine and she developed a bone abcess in her hip about three months after amputation and had to be pts in the end? Fractured pelvis can indeed repair on it's own with time and restricted movement. My friends cat was hit by a car and her pelvis fractured. The vet did not repair and CC lived a very long and comfortable life after the healing process. Just some suggestions.
Old July 18th, 2005, 10:36 AM
Senior Contributor

Broken pelvis is seldom surgically repaired, due to the difficulty of doing it and the fact that it usually heals on it's own unless it's totally shattered.

I had a cat with a broken pelvis. A neighbour decided he didn't like the cat in his garden and hit him as hard as he could with a rake handle.

The healing process was a bit difficult,but there was no permanant damage.
Old July 18th, 2005, 12:49 PM

The surgeon was consulted today and he will not have his hip pinned. He will have the amputation only and the skin grafts. His hip will heal on its own with cage rest. St. Hyacinthe is swamped and can't guarantee a surgery any time soon and I have called other local vets and the surgery is just too specialized for them to do. I decided to keep him at the DMV.

Skittles was alert and purring when I visited with him this morning. I know it's a lot of money but I am confident people who want to help, will. He deserves a chance.

Lisa.
Old July 18th, 2005, 01:12 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Did you check with Dr. Plasse at Lasalle Animal Hospital? I know he did a pit that was hit by a car. He did a beautiful amputation and the scarring was minimal. Just a suggestion to get better rates and reduce the costs.
Old July 18th, 2005, 01:20 PM

Can he do skin grafts? I understand that not many vets can do it. The problem with this amputation is that there is no skin to close up the hole with as there is an 8" hole in the area already. They need to graft the skin from the leg they are removing onto the wound and then provide skin flaps. Because there is no skin on the wound, the flaps have to be done just so because they have no skin to attach to so they have a high chance of failure. This is what I got from calling local vets.

Ugh. Skittles really deserves a chance.

Lisa.
Old July 18th, 2005, 01:24 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

I'll call him as I know he does procedures that require stretching over a slow period and grafting too. Let me check.
Old July 18th, 2005, 01:27 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Dr. Plasse is not in today, but Dr. Leroux who assists him will call me back this afternoon and let me know if he can do it.
Old July 18th, 2005, 07:22 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Canine14, please contact me about Skittles, Dr. Plasse thinks he can help and would like to see him and know more. I tried your number but as you moved it's no longer in service.
Old July 18th, 2005, 08:03 PM

Thanks BMD. He is scheduled for surgery tomorrow though and needs it done ASAP as he is bleeding into his crushed leg. Does Dr. Plasse offer 24 hr. care? Skittles is in the ICU and needs 24/7 post-op care to monitor infection and for wound management and for a drip with pain meds.

I will contact you tomorrow morning when I am back in town. It's almost impossible to reach me now thanks to the move!

Lisa and Skittles.
Old July 18th, 2005, 08:17 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Dr. Plasse provides whatever is needed accordingly to each case. If she is scheduled for tomorrow then I guess it will be done at the DMV. I tried to reach you earlier but couldn't. Sorry I could not help more quickly.
Old July 19th, 2005, 07:19 PM

Hello all,

I just went to go and see Skittles. He is out of surgery and in an incubator. They removed his leg and with the skin from the leg and a lot of creativity, they managed to sew up his ENTIRE wound. Poor Skittles was under for 5 hrs. and now he is quite groggy but he still managed a faint purr when he felt me kissing his little head. They found a lot of abrasions on his skin when they shaved him so they are pretty sure that he was hit and then DRAGGED by a car. It horrifies me beyond belief how anyone could feel the impact and then leave a fellow creature to die an agonizing death by the side of the road.

I will update again tomorrow. My heart swells with love for my new little guy. I was meant to find him at the clinic and then help him.

THANK YOU. Thanks especially to BMD for trying to help.

So far: $600 CAD raised! Only $2400 CAD to go!!!

SKITTLES
file: Lisa Saroli
Centre Veterinaire DMV
2300, 54th Avenue
Lachine, Quebec
514-633-8888
514-855-5555
1-800-463-8555
www.centredmv.com

He is being treated by Dr. Lefevbre.

Last edited by Dragonfly; July 20th, 2005 at 10:00 AM.
Old July 19th, 2005, 09:03 PM
Senior Contributor

Have you tried calling the Bond Foundation?

What's up with Paypal? I can't get on the site and even when I try getting there through Google, it says Page Cannot be Found.
Old July 19th, 2005, 10:13 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Glad to hear that Skittles made it through surgery! Maybe if you have another case like this again, you can let me know quickly and I can see what can be done. It's just great Skittles has made it thus far.