Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old July 17th, 2005, 11:20 AM

Is a stuffed kong a meal?

Some kong stuffing ingredients seem very elaborate!

I am wondering if people give their dogs a stuffed kong as a meal replacement or as a treat, over and above the regular meals your dogs eat?

I just gave Toby a stuffed thigh bone (boy, that sounds gross ). I smashed up a banana, mixed in some of his regular food kibbles, stuffed the bone, and then froze it for about 2 hours. He is having the time of his life getting it all out .

Should I call this lunch? (He's still eating Wellness 3xday, heaping 1/2 cup each time)
Old July 17th, 2005, 01:00 PM
banned user

I would still consider that a treat, my dog gets half a puppy kong of Rice Krispies every day, along with her 1 1/2 cups of Nutro.
Old July 17th, 2005, 01:42 PM

Dogs like bananas???
Old July 17th, 2005, 02:10 PM
Agility Addict

This is a great question! I've been wondering that myself too!

Dodger gets a kong no more than 2 times a week (often less as he is rarely alone!). Instead I love using his treat ball as a way of him getting his breafest or dinner.

Anyway, in a kong I put different variations of peanut butter, yogurt, fruits, kibble and sometimes as a speacial treat, some cheese or hot dog.

I have in the past bought a peanut butter and liver can of kong stuffers...it didn't last long and I figure that I can come with healthier treates to fill his kong with! Plus, the can stuff was too easy for Dodger to get out!

P.S - Dodger likes bananas too and I've never thought of adding that to his kong - great idea!
Old July 17th, 2005, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freyja
Dogs like bananas???
Mine does! We discovered this when he hijacked 2 bananas from the counter of a friend's camper...he took a bite from the centre and sucked the insides clean. Since then I have been giving him little banana slice treats each time I make myself some cereal. Today I discovered a use for the bananas that are too soft for me...they made a great kong (well, actually today it was a 6-inch hollowed out bone) stuffer and he loved it!

He normally eats 1/2 cup of kibble/meal. There was almost 1/2 cup worth of kibbles mixed in with the banana... Wouldn't that be a meal?

Maybe I should be asking how much people usually give as a treat...and when does a treat become a meal?
Old July 17th, 2005, 07:15 PM
Agility Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by toby's tracy
He normally eats 1/2 cup of kibble/meal. There was almost 1/2 cup worth of kibbles mixed in with the banana... Wouldn't that be a meal?

Maybe I should be asking how much people usually give as a treat...and when does a treat become a meal?
I would base that decision on how old Toby is, how big he'll get, how much he weighs and how active he is!

Dodger just turned a year old and weighs 70lbs. He has always (4 months and up) had long hikes, about 2-4 hours a day. So I never worried about giving him too much because he is so active. I am a bit more careful now because he is reaching adulthood and he doesn't need as much anymore. Anyway, if I gave him 1/2 of kibble as a treat I wouldn't decrease his food - unless I did this on a daily basis. To me a treat like this shouldn't happen everyday unless you decrease Toby's other meals (or he is very active!).

You have to be careful though, especially as puppies. You need to balance it out and make sure your still meeting their daily requirements. You don't want to get in the habit of decreasing his meals if you aren't giving him that full 1/2 in his kong/bone!