Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old July 14th, 2005, 11:18 AM
Pet Guardian

Question Eagle Pack food = gas?

As I sit here listening to one of my cats chatter through the window at the birds outside, another of my cats sitting on my lap, my nose reminds me that cats and dogs are prone to some of the same problems that humans are. Both my dog and the only cat that I have eating Eagle Pack foods have developed really horrible gas. The dog (Cube) is in the process of switching from an "allergy" food to the Eagle Pack Duck & Oatmeal food, and his gas is bad enough to clear a room. It smells like dead ducks, and only started since I started transitioning him. The cat (Taz) is almost all the way through an 8lb bag of Eagle Pack Indoor Cat food, and his gas smells the same as Cube's but not bad enough to clear a room. The two of them combined mean that I go through a LOT of air freshener.

I'm about to write an email to the Eagle Pack company asking them about this, but I thought I'd post here and see if anyone else had used this food with their animals and noticed the same things? I had lots of good recommendations on this food, which is why I got it, but if this doesn't clear up in a BIG hurry, I'm going to switch them both to something else! Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Melissa
Old July 14th, 2005, 12:22 PM

It's not the first time I have read something about gas and Eagle Pack food on this forum. I don't know what it is, but if it causes that much gas, it might be wise for big dog owners to steer clear of it (bloat).

Is there any soy in it? Apparently soy causes bad gas in doggies.
Old July 14th, 2005, 01:03 PM
Owned by goldens

Gas

Oatmeal is probably the culprit. It might take a few weeks longer for their bodies to get use to the extra fiber. Until then, open some windows. LOL
Old July 14th, 2005, 01:44 PM

I'm using the Eagle Power Pack, actually just transitioning to the Eagle Brand Holistic because of Kenzie's weight problem, but just thought I'd let you know we didn't experience any gas problems with it. Maybe it is the oatmeal as someone said, maybe another mix? With having a German Shepherd and a Malamute, it would be hard to put up with that bad of a gas problem, lol

As a sidenote, do you have any problems with using air freshner? Shannon, the GSD, is allergic to Fabreze and alot of those carpet powders you spread to get rid of doggy odours? Sorry, not to hijack, just asking since you mentioned using it.
Old July 14th, 2005, 04:08 PM
Performance Spaniels

I'm using eagle pack holistic, and mine has never had gas till now, but it doesn't sound nearly as bad as yours, lol. Sorry.

My main issue was we finally had firm 'happy' poop, and on eagle pack now have firm poop, but a lot more poop than before. I'm not sure where it is all coming from..
Old July 14th, 2005, 04:41 PM
Hazel's Personal Servant

I had to feed Parker and Hazel some Eagle Pak Holistic (long story) and only went through a little more than 1/2 the bag, but I never noticed any gas. Of course, I probably would've assumed that it came from hubby before blaming it on the dogs!

I use Febreze and carpet fresh and none of my dogs have ever had a reaction to it. Unless of course they try to sniff the floor powder before I start to vaccuum!
Old July 18th, 2005, 12:03 PM
Pet Guardian

I've noticed more poop as well, which really bothers me. The whole idea of a "good quality" food is that they're supposed to have LESS poop. Seriously, we say this dog is "full of **it", cause he poops like every 3 hours.
I'm going to work him through this bag of food, and see if both the gas and the poop gets better, but if not, I found a store that carries a dog food with literally 5 ingredients in it. Duck food, which I still think I'd like Cube to be eating with his allergies, but there's less other stuff in it to upset his tummy. And no oatmeal.

Oh, and I figured out what was making the cat have gas that smelled like ducks even though his food wasn't made with duck; turns out he's been eating the dog's food when I wasn't looking, cause he's on a diet and got hungry. I've also switched him off Eagle Pack onto Innova Evo (50% protein). He really likes this stuff so far, and no more gas, and he's only been eating it 2 days. Will wait and see how the rest of him responds to it.

As for the air freshner, I don't mind using it, even though I'd rather strap one of those auto-puff freshners to the dog's back. I can't use the powders because they clog my vacuum (hepa-filter) and Febreze is good for getting smells out of fabric, but I haven't tried the air-freshner version of them. I currently have about 3 plug-ins around the house and a concentrated spray in the bathroom which I seem to use at least twice a day. I do have the windows open as well, but sometimes all that does is blow the stink at me! Hopefully it'll get better, if not, he's switching foods again.

Would also like to add that the email I sent to the Eagle Pack person resulted in them telling me that I should supplement both the cat & the dog, and transition them faster to the new food, and also them telling me that it's highly unlikely that my dog is allergic to anything, and it's more likely a chronic ear infection or disease that's making his ears gross. He has been checked at the vet and they said he has "allergy" ears, and if I couldn't figure out what it was with changing foods, they'd run allergy tests. They didn't want to do that without trying food changes because it's expensive. Just wanted to mention that the Eagle Pack support people weren't very supportive or helpful.

Thanks for your help.
Melissa

Last edited by dogmelissa; July 18th, 2005 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Add air freshner response
Old July 18th, 2005, 01:20 PM
Performance Spaniels

I have maybe 15 days of Eagle Pack Holistic left.. Been on it almost a month now.

The poop got better, but not as good as wellness was. Wellness was morning and night... and currently it's like 4 a day. I am unimpressed too.

Makes me fully understand that some foods are bettr/ worse for some dogs and appreciate finally finding that 'great' food.

I will travel to another feed store if I can't find the wellness I want. Enough trials for me.
Old July 18th, 2005, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mafiaprincess

The poop got better, but not as good as wellness was. Wellness was morning and night... and currently it's like 4 a day. I am unimpressed too.
Toby has been on Wellness for about a month now...maybe a bit longer...and he poops 3 to 4 times a day. And the poops are enormous! If someone were to find one on my lawn (yes, my boyfriend likes to tell me, "Toby pooped when I took him out. It's in the front", so sometimes it isn't cleaned up right away. He reminds me that Toby is my dog when that happens... ) they would swear Toby was a great dane or an elephant or something!

For now we are just so happy that it is firm (after over a month of diarrhea!) that we aren't changing foods anytime soon!

I guess different foods work differently on different animals...maybe there are some who are fine on the Eagle Pack. I guess it just takes time for each dog (and owner) to find the 'right' food!
Old July 18th, 2005, 01:59 PM
Performance Spaniels

Yeah.. As I said it's totally how a certain dog takes to a food. I get firm poop, I just happened to use wellness first and know that she pooped less, making me less impressed now.

LOL @ the dane sized poop.

It wasn't till now that I saw that not all good foods are equal to each dog.
Old July 18th, 2005, 09:25 PM

I had my cat Rocky on Eagle Pack when we first got him at 8 weeks and he was the stinkiest thing I have ever smelt. After a while of him smelling up the whole apartment we went to the pet store and asked them to recommend something else for Rocky. The pet store employee said Rocky had "rank bowel" (how gross does that sound!). As soon as we switched brands of food he was much better. It may have been a coincidence though you never know!
Old July 19th, 2005, 06:14 AM
Owned by goldens

Gas

Personally I wasn't impressed with Eagle Pack dog food. I haven't checked all the formulas but the ones I did contained corn.
The large poops may be a result of the dog adjusting to the new food.
Once they get use to it the poops may return to a normal size.
Just a word of caution about Innova Evo. I have heard from a number of people that their dogs have had trouble on this food. It is very high in protein and the dogs develop more serious problems as a result.
Old July 19th, 2005, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coppperbelle
The large poops may be a result of the dog adjusting to the new food.
Once they get use to it the poops may return to a normal size.
Do you know about how long it takes for the adjustment? I can't remember the exact date we started Toby on Wellness, but I do remember bringing roughly the last 1/2 of his first bag (a 4lb bag) on a camping trip for the June 24th holiday weekend, so he probably started it a week or so before then.

That would make it about a month that he has been on it so far.
Old July 19th, 2005, 08:16 AM
Senior Contributor

I have Tron on Eagle Pack Holistic.As I did also with Yukon.And to be honest,he has no problems on it.No gas,and no extra pooping......

As for the cats,I have them on Performatrin Ultra.It's all natural Holistic and hormone free.They do great on it.They are coming out with the cans,so I'm just waiting for that.
Old July 19th, 2005, 09:17 AM
Owned by goldens

How old is Toby? When I switched my dogs to Solid Gold, I noticed a difference within weeks with my older golden Chloe. Hunter who was 11 months old took months before he adjusted to the food.
Solid Gold does not put additives in their food so there is nothing to ensure that the poops are firmer etc... You can check the ingredients on Wellness to make sure but this is probably also the case.
WEllness is a good food and you will probably notice a difference soon. Make sure you are not overfeeding as this could also cause him to poop more.
Old July 19th, 2005, 01:00 PM

Toby will be 5 months old next week...and his poops are the size of rather large sausages (like the italian ones you can buy at the grocery store - about 6 inches long, with maybe over an inch in diameter), sometimes 2 at once!

We feed him approximately 1.5 cups/day...slowly moving him up to 2, since he is getting bigger and gaining weight. He weighs approximately 28 pounds (I weighed him yesterday - held him on the scale then did the math!)

Even though he is gaining weight, he is still quite skinny...I think he is gaining in structure, not mass! you know...that long legged, lanky puppy look!

As I wrote earlier, we are so happy that they are firm and nicely formed that we haven't really thought of changing foods, but if this isn't a good sign, like it means he isn't absorbing the food properly or something, then we will need to reconsider!
Old July 19th, 2005, 02:01 PM
Owned by goldens

Dog poops

I wouldn't worry that he is not absorbing. AS long as you don't mind picking up the land mines then he is better off on a good quality food like WEllness. Keep in mind he is a puppy and they do poop more often.
Old July 20th, 2005, 12:24 AM

The quantity of load is relative to the amount the doggy absorbs. Corn is not absorbed well, and dogs on food with corn in them tend to dump WAY more than dogs getting fed the same amount of a better, corn-less food.

If you are feeding a dog too much, and the food does not have stool hardeners, then the stool will be soft. It took me months to figure that one out. The quantity in the beginning will be enormous, but it will go down gradually as the dog gets used to it, and eventually it will be smaller than it used to be. After a few months on the Solid Gold, my doggies are finally there.
Old July 20th, 2005, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prin
After a few months on the Solid Gold, my doggies are finally there.
So I should expect another couple of months of giganto-loads and then things'll get back to normal?

...at least as normal as can be expected with a puppy in the house! :love:

DogMelissa, I'm starting to feel as if I've hijacked your thread...that wasn't the intention and I hope the conversation has helped you out!
Old July 21st, 2005, 03:51 PM
Senior Contributor

We had Brick on Eagle Pack too, and it was NASTY GAS!!! We switched him over to Nutro, but are thinking of putting him back on Eagle Pack as it made his poop a bit harder and we never had trouble with his anal glands. Since we switched to Nutro, his poop is softer and we've had to excrete his anal glands twice now. I think I might have to live with the farts (can't be any worse than my husbands!!) or learn how to do Brick's anal glands myself!!!
1 very mean tiger barb (who killed all of our other fish)
3 leopard geckos - Dave, Jenn & Jane (gone back to their original owner)

GONE TO CRITTER HEAVEN:
1 house gecko - George (RIP)
2 giant african land snailS - Kaimah (RIP) & Kamau (RIP)
2 baby african land snails - Tiny & Pokey (RIP)
1 Veiled Chameleon - Chip (RIP)
Old July 21st, 2005, 03:53 PM

Give it time, the stools should firm up when he gets used to the food again.
Old July 21st, 2005, 06:23 PM
Senior Contributor

That's what I thought, but he's been on it for about 9 months or so!!

GONE TO CRITTER HEAVEN:
Old July 21st, 2005, 09:08 PM
Owned by goldens

Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catt31
We had Brick on Eagle Pack too, and it was NASTY GAS!!! We switched him over to Nutro, but are thinking of putting him back on Eagle Pack as it made his poop a bit harder and we never had trouble with his anal glands. Since we switched to Nutro, his poop is softer and we've had to excrete his anal glands twice now. I think I might have to live with the farts (can't be any worse than my husbands!!) or learn how to do Brick's anal glands myself!!!

My dogs didn't do well on Nutro. Both dogs would vomit every day at the same time. As soon as I switched them the vomiting stopped.
Old July 21st, 2005, 09:09 PM

9 months, eh? That's a bit long. Too long. I think it is time to change foods.
Old July 22nd, 2005, 01:26 PM
Senior Contributor

Yep, I agree!!! We are at the bottom of the bucket of this food, so the next bag I buy will be Eagle Pack. There is just enough left to mix in for a few days!! Guess I should invest in some nose plugs!! LOL

GONE TO CRITTER HEAVEN:
Old July 29th, 2005, 10:39 AM
Pet Guardian

No worries about anyone hijacking the thread... I'm glad to hear insight from other people, or at least hear that I'm not alone.

Here's the latest news. Cube the dog is still eating a mix of the Eagle Pack Oatmeal & Duck with the Nature's Recipe Allergy formula, simply because I still had quite a bit of the Allergy left and just chucked the Eagle Pack into the bin with it. It's probably about a 75% E.P. mix. Within 2 weeks he'll be completely on the Eagle Pack food. In the last week, his poops have gotten much better. They're still quite volumous, but they're relatively firm, so it's ok. He is pooping LESS than before, though still more than I think is "normal", but they're of better quality. The gas is still there, but has decreased. I think it'll go away once he's fully on one kind of food for awhile. He seems pretty happy lately, and his coat is good, poops are getting better, gas is decreasing, so I think I will try another back of the Eagle Pack food and then judge how he's doing. Not sure I want to risk another transition with him right away. Poor doggie has been on so many kinds of food in the last 6 months trying to find one that doesn't give him allergies.

Now... after 5 days of eating Innova Evo, Taz, the cat, had to go to the emergency vet clinic. I came home one day after work to find my house literally covered in diarrhea, and the puddles he left in the bathroom while I cleaned up were bloody. He got some fluids, and some medication (can't remember what it's called now) and a mass quantity of the Hills Veterinary W/D (gastro) canned food. He had basically lost his appetite during the last week he's been recovering, and though the vet recommended he get 3 cans of this stuff a day due to his weight, he started out barely eating 1/2 can. He's now eating 2 cans a day but his poops aren't great yet. He actually was good for a day and I let him out of the bathroom, and he ate the dog's food and got the squirts right away again, so he's back in the bathroom now. I know that a sudden change in diet can cause diarrhea, but because this was a full 6 days after he'd changed over and because it contained blood, I'm not putting him back on the Innova food. I'm going to try to return it, but I doubt they'll give me any money back. I will be feeding him the w/d canned food until the diarrhea clears up and then I think I might put him on a combination of the dry & wet formulas of this food or of the Hills Z/D (allergy). The emergency clinic stocks both and since they're open 24 hours, it's really easy to get food. Side benefit of him being sick and having lost his appetite is that he's definetly lost some weight. Not ideal to lose it this way, but since he's still eating some food, I'll take it.

Anyhow... that's all I have time for today.
Thanks for all the ancedotes, stories and suggestions!!

Melissa
Old July 29th, 2005, 11:39 AM

Both my dogs love Nutro.Never had any problems with either. I guess every dog is different.Stools are regular and they have the occasional gas. No worse than my two boys.
Old July 29th, 2005, 12:47 PM

That's horrible Melissa!! I hope your kitty gets better soon! Do you think an allergy test would help figure out what the problem is? I just know that Boo gets violently ill from anything with chicken in it.. I don't know if cats can be intolerant too (Although I think most are lactose intolerant but I may be wrong)...
Old August 3rd, 2005, 10:01 PM
Pet Guardian

Still-ill kitty

Prin,

Yes, cats can be allergic to things, but in this case, I don't think he is, I think he just ate something that did NOT agree with him. Not sure what it was, but I'm not going to feed him the Innova anymore. I was wrong about the kind of foog I got at the vet's, it was Medi-Cal Hypoallergenic/gastro. Today I bought some of the dry version of this food as well. I've also been adding some of the Eagle Pack food that he was eating previously to the canned Medi-Cal over the last few days, and the poops seem to be getting better. They're not improving rapidly, but they're not getting worse, so I'm trying not to worry.

I know for a fact that my dog is allergic to beef. He used to get horribly infected ears and my vet treated them twice and they just wouldn't go away, so she said I should try putting him on an allergy food and see if they got better. So I did, and they did. Then I accidentally dropped a bit of hamburger on the floor and he ate it, and within 24 hours, both ears were infected again. And NOTHING else had changed in his diet or environment. So he now is living a beef-free life. No rawhide (which makes him sad), no treats, and have to be careful which people I leave him with (people who like to feed dogs human food). I also have to make sure that he doesn't eat any of the cat food or pick up anything off the floor that I might have dropped. It's a pain in the butt, but his ears aren't infected, which bothers both of us much more, so it's ok. As for other things that he might be allergic to, I'm not sure at the moment. I'm not willing to spend tons of money on allergy tests when it's being controlled with an allergy diet (currently Eagle Pack Duck & Oatmeal), and he's otherwise healthy. As for the cat.... well, he has an appointment back at the vet next week because he's licked his butt raw and the diarrhea still isn't totally cleared up. It might be a parasite or a disease, though I'm not sure how he'd have gotten either so suddenly.

Will keep you up to date.
Melissa
Old August 3rd, 2005, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmelissa
As for the cat.... well, he has an appointment back at the vet next week because he's licked his butt raw and the diarrhea still isn't totally cleared up. It might be a parasite or a disease, though I'm not sure how he'd have gotten either so suddenly.

Will keep you up to date.
Melissa
Poor kitty! I don't know if it works the same way for cats but Toby had horrible diarrhea for over a month. There were weekly visits to the vet, with medi-cal gastro food and antibiotics. Each tme we weaned him from the meds and the food it would return. A new vet finally just de-wormed him (even though there was never a positive fecal analysis...apparently it is very difficult to detect worms with a fecal analysis!) - twice! and that's what cured it!
Instead of wondering if it is parasites, it might save a lot of time and worry to just treat it as such. The worse thing that can happen is you rule out parasites!
good luck, Melissa!