Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old July 14th, 2005, 12:16 AM
Senior Contributor

Just a thought...

There is another thread about homeless people and dogs. It got me to thinking. We have plenty of groups that find dogs forever homes. I have never heard of a group that helps homeless people care for their pets. This is not to say that they aren't out there - just that I have never heard of one.

If you were homeless, what would you need for your dog?

And yes, there is a reason for this question. But it is just a fledgling thought and needs input.
Old July 14th, 2005, 01:05 AM
Senior Contributor

I can't remember what group was responsible or the details of the drive, but I remember when some of the local grocery stores had a large carton in the front of the store that was for bags of pet food and kitty litter for the pets of needy people. Seems like it was advertised in the newspaper grocery ads that people could make a purchase of the products and then place them in the cartons where they would be picked up and distributed. It was a nice feeling to just pick up a sack of food, pay for it, and then put it in the carton. And they made it so easy to do. Many people would like to do something, but then put it off. I remember there were a lot of sacks of food in there.
I wish there would be something that would help senior citizens with the expenses of pet ownership. Pets have been proven to be so beneficial for seniors. Unfortunately, so many live on such a meager income. Seems like pets and seniors would help each other. Then again, I realize many pets are left homeless when their owners go into care homes. Maybe seniors fostering pets would be the answer?
Old July 14th, 2005, 05:53 AM
Senior Contributor

I'm not sure where in Canada this took place, but I heard about a few vets who set up a weekend clinic for homeless people with pets. Needless to say, it was very well attended. They were impressed with how well cared for the animals were. Mainly they were vaccinating, worming and treating wounds and infections. No neutering, alas.

Food banks here accept dog and cat food, which is great, but I imagine there's never enough.
Old July 14th, 2005, 12:22 PM
Senior Contributor

There is a group in the US (and I forget the web site - came across it once when surfing or searching) that helps homeless ppl with pets. Most homeless ppl do take care of their pets very well in my edxperience, better than they care for themselves. Not that we have that many in Hfx or the Maritimes but there are som, sighhh!!
Old July 14th, 2005, 12:28 PM

They should be given fidelity cards for dog food, where if they buy say, 3 little bags, they get the 4th free or a bag of cookies free (I don't see them lugging around 40lbs bags...).

Otherwise, maybe some doggy coats for the winter, vaccines, worming, ear cleaning, maybe some pad moisturizer (they walk on cement all day)... Maybe twice a year they can go somewhere and give their doggies a bath... Oh and I have seen a few who could use new leashes and collars that fit.

Is that what you asked for? Or did I go on and on about something completely different?
Old July 14th, 2005, 01:18 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

I know the Toronto Humane society provides a food bank for people with pets, to ensure the pets have adequate diets while their owners are suffering financially.