Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Pets that have passed away - Rainbow bridge

Old June 28th, 2005, 02:03 PM
Senior Contributor

Keeper

I just received an e-mail from the organization where Keeper was brought too. They confirmed that he was euthanised today!

Keeper buddy, rest in peace! I wish I took you when I had the chance! This would have never have happened! We tried Keeper to get you out, but the people wouldn't budge about releasing you. You deserved better than this!
Old June 28th, 2005, 02:08 PM
Senior Contributor

This makes me so mad. I can't even type on this forum what I am feeling right now.

RIP dear Keeper. :sad:
Old June 28th, 2005, 02:20 PM

This is just so very sad. I just don't know what to say. Keeper's story has brought me to tears many times. I feel horrible that Keeper was never given the chance on the life he so deserved. Such a young life needlessly taken.
Old June 28th, 2005, 02:32 PM

I am furious and sad at the same time. FURIOUS. Do you know what we would have given for our puppy to have been well enough to have gotten into our garden or chewed a hole in our wall??

Keeper, sweetheart... Just for you.. My husband and I are going out tonight when he gets home.. And we're going to chop down two of our favorite hydrangeas in your honor. And next year when they don't bloom and our neighbors ask what happened to them.. we will take that opportunity to tell them about YOU and maybe just maybe someone will listen... and in your honor maybe someone will think twice about throwing another little life away.

All the way down here on the coast of the Gulf of Mexico - you will be remembered and honored and your story will be told. I promise you. Rest in peace, baby. You won't be forgotten.
Old June 28th, 2005, 03:16 PM

You're in our thoughts Keeper. You didn't ask to be brought into this world, and you certainly didn't ask for the a**holes that adopted you to be so cruel. Your life was worth more than some stinkin' hydrangeas or a little hole in the wall that could be patched up!

Poodletalk, what did you mean when you said:
Quote:
We tried Keeper to get you out, but the people wouldn't budge about releasing you.
?

The Ottawa SPCA, who supposedly "assured" the adoptive mom that he wouldn't be euthanized, wouldn't adopt him out???? I hope that's not the case!

Keeper, your story will be told here in Calgary aswell. If only you knew how much the people on this site cared about you, but no one gave us the chance to save you! Rest in peace little Keeper.
Old June 28th, 2005, 03:20 PM
Coopers mom

I really can't beleive that!!! the referance to the flowers helped me remember the baby we were so angry about the other day, (not mad at him).
I and others offered to try to help find a home

RIP
Keeper now you can be the puppy that you weren't aloud to be...

Cooper ate new my shoe yesterday..... and he's staying right here with his family... but I will look at that shoe and think of Keeper.

Last edited by angie79; June 28th, 2005 at 03:29 PM.
Old June 28th, 2005, 03:28 PM
Senior Contributor

Poodletalk,I was hoping beyond hope,Keeper had been saved..I am sooo very angry and crying at the same time,sometimes I just HATE the human race :sad:
Old June 28th, 2005, 03:41 PM
Senior Contributor

Chico, I was hoping for a miracle! I know thousands of dogs and cats die everyday. Keeper was just a misunderstood dog, that deserved a second chance. He was only ten months old.
Old June 28th, 2005, 03:57 PM
Performance Spaniels

Quote:
Originally Posted by heeler's rock!
You're in our thoughts Keeper. You didn't ask to be brought into this world, and you certainly didn't ask for the a**holes that adopted you to be so cruel. Your life was worth more than some stinkin' hydrangeas or a little hole in the wall that could be patched up!

Poodletalk, what did you mean when you said: ?

The Ottawa SPCA, who supposedly "assured" the adoptive mom that he wouldn't be euthanized, wouldn't adopt him out???? I hope that's not the case!

Keeper, your story will be told here in Calgary aswell. If only you knew how much the people on this site cared about you, but no one gave us the chance to save you! Rest in peace little Keeper.
The OHS failed to mention that the dog has to pass a medical and temperment test. Without passign both they won't adopt out a dog. They I guess didn't mention that to the owner who surrendered Keeper. Couldn't pass the temperment test, on 2 occassions, so no one could pull him....

The surrender signed a full release too.. so..

I'm so sorry Keeper.. I'm in tears over this too

Last edited by mafiaprincess; June 28th, 2005 at 04:05 PM.
Old June 28th, 2005, 04:07 PM
Senior Contributor

I dont believe that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by heeler's rock!
Old June 28th, 2005, 04:12 PM
Senior Contributor

No, I don't beleive that at all. The lady has a history of lying to us, so I don't believe one word that comes out of her mouth or anything she typed here. Any animal who gets dropped of at the SPCA,must go through two tests. Behavorial test and medical test. Keeper failed the behavorial test twice. They have a team of people who could foster and work with troubled animals, they thought Keeper was beyond the word repair. This is the fault of the women who was not honest. Please don't send awful e-mails to this SPCA, it wasn't there fault, its the women who dropped off the dog!
Old June 28th, 2005, 04:38 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

OMG Pags you're making me start to bawl again.
Old June 28th, 2005, 11:01 PM
Senior Contributor

I just have to say that no SPCA is going to tell someone who is dumping their pet there that it will be killed. Everyone is told it's going to be adopted to a loving home.

I guess a lot of people choose to believe that to relieve their consciences and want to think that of the 50, 60 or 70% of the animals in killed in any particular shelter that theirs is miraculously not one of them.

I know nothing about the OHS (I'm sure they do the best they can) and am not making any derogatory comments about their operations - just about the people who dump so many pets, wanting someone else to do their dirty work, that of course most of them will not survive.
Old June 29th, 2005, 07:34 AM
Senior Contributor

Lucky,you are probably right and the owner did a final indignity to Keeper,by leting him be killed among strangers
I suppose OHS has soo many abandonned animals,that trying to help a misstreated dog getting over his agression and fear,is just not feasable or worth the effort,unlike a private rescue,who does not give up easily,with their main goal being to save a life.
Hundreds of"good"animals are killed every day,but somehow the puppy Keeper,hit really hard :sad:
Old June 29th, 2005, 07:53 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

I don't blame the OHS. I blame the owner, because she was offered by many good people here to re-home Keeper for her, if she could just wait a few days. I guess a "few days" was much to long to wait!!

And yes, I do understand that she feared for her childrens safety, but she could have kept the dog separated from her kids for a few days!! I know there are people on this forum who have been doing it for years!!

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old June 29th, 2005, 08:03 AM
Coopers mom

I'm thinking I really missed something I reread the posts about Keeper and I did not see anything about the children's safety being threatened. I saw that thier toys were chewed. and I didn't see anything posted until today that keeper was agressive (besides to walls and plants)

Is there another thread were these issues were addressed?
Old June 29th, 2005, 08:49 AM

The worst part about all of this is....... this owner will probably go out and pick up another byb or puppymill puppy to 'raise with the kids'. It's a vicious circle and until she gets educated won't be broken.
I'm sorry Keeper and all the others that may follow

Is it really too much to ask that people crate train??? I think that would have been a very good start for this puppy... I guess we'll never know now
Old June 29th, 2005, 08:53 AM
Rottie owner and lover

Just to let you know, NO she will not be taking in anymore dogs, she is still distraught over this.
Old June 29th, 2005, 09:07 AM
Senior Contributor

Rottielover,not to sound cruel,but I am glad she is at least distraught..many people here,including me,have had sleepless nights and cried a million tears for a dog we had not even met :sad:
It's over now,Keepers life is forever stilled and I hope we'll never have to read about this kind of injustice again. RIP Keeper :love:
Old June 29th, 2005, 12:37 PM
banned user

Quote:
Is there another thread were these issues were addressed?
Yes, but the thread was pulled.
Old June 29th, 2005, 01:02 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

She should be distraught....as are a LOT of people on here who offered help that wasn't taken. Too many people dumping too many dogs who dont' care enough to try and fix a problem then make it someone elses OR kill the dog.

Keeper I lit a candle for you, a very special candle that I was saving for a special occassion. It was just for you, and that flame flickered bright and tall for a very long time my friend you have much love sending you 'home'
Old June 29th, 2005, 03:15 PM
banned user

where can i find the original thread to this please?
Old June 29th, 2005, 03:27 PM
Senior Contributor

Chico, I agree with you, I hope she will ALWAYS remember the pain she feels right now about sending Keeper to the SPCA and him getting euthanised! This way, it will KEEP her AWAY from adopting ANY other animals!

It's NOT only her, its everyone who dumps animals at the SPCA'S or local pounds. Animals have feelings, I don't think too many people realize that! If they did, the SPCA'S and pounds woudn;t be bursting at the seems with unwanted animals. Pets are for life not just until the garden season starts or moving day!
Old June 29th, 2005, 03:42 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

There are (4) threads, one of which was deleted...it had most of the info in it...however under adoptions you can find the original thread.
Old June 30th, 2005, 11:24 AM
Senior Contributor

This is what the orginal rescue wrote about our Dear beloved Keeper on their website.

It is with a very heavy heart and many tears, that I write these words to you.

I remember with fond and loving memories that cold and dreary day that you came into my life. A happy and boisterous pup all of 5 months old. No one understood you and you were scheduled to be euthanized. I looked at you and all the love in your eyes, your kisses never ending and the tail that never stopped wagging. I knew the minute I laid eyes on you that you didnít deserve what life was about to dish out to you.

I made you a promise at that very moment that I would take you with me and find you what you so very much deserved. While we shared a hot dog and hugged each other, I though to myself what a beautiful and wonderful dog, if only I could have taken you with me. Keeper was the name that I gave you, as to me you were most definitely a Keeper to me. You instantly found a place in my heart that will never never go away.

On June 28, 2005 you were sent to be with the Angels at the hands of people who did not understand you. I am so sorry that I did not know of your expected fate sooner or maybe you would still be with us. My promise to you failed and for this my tears will never stop. You are peaceful now dear Keeper and you can run with the animals and play in the fields. There are gentle and loving people with you now, who will love you and kiss you and play with you forever. Keep your kisses coming and you tail wagging.

Look for my darling Sasha, she will help you and guide you and love you. She is an amazing dog who lives among the Angels. With Sasha by your side, I will always know that you are now truly happy and loved.
Old June 30th, 2005, 01:30 PM

From what i remember, is the quote Poodletalk posted from the rescuer, the same rescue who would not take him back once they found out the adopter no longer wanted him? Of course, i dont know the rescue's side of the story, but why is she so sad if she decided not to take him back?
Old June 30th, 2005, 01:38 PM
Rottie owner and lover

That rescue did not know what was happening until after the fact......
Old June 30th, 2005, 01:42 PM

She said she had tried the rescue first and they said they couldn't take him back. What a mess. How did the rescue give her a dog in the first place? I have to say I am a bit relieved that she's distraught-- makes her seem a tad less heartless, uncaring and cold.
Old June 30th, 2005, 01:49 PM
Senior Contributor

The orginial rescuer went to the States for the long weekend with her children. She had no idea the "owners" took Keeper to the OHS until she came back, which was Monday evening. Keeper was euthanised Tuesday morning.
Old June 30th, 2005, 01:52 PM
Senior Contributor

I am getting so confused.

So the person that originally adopted Keeper from the rescue adopted him out to the "owners" who then turned him into the HS???