Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Foster talk - Rescue talk - NO listings please

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old June 25th, 2005, 07:03 PM
mafiaprincess's Avatar
mafiaprincess mafiaprincess is offline
Performance Spaniels
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Whitby, ON
Posts: 2,395
A tongue in cheek letter to those that abandon their pets

I found this on another board I visit, and after seeing so many animals dumped lately, I guess it's getting to me..


Dear Mr. and Mrs. Average Idiot,


We receive an extremely high volume of inquiries and requests to accept surrendered animals. To help us expedite your problem as quickly as possible, please observe the following guidelines:

1. Do not say that you are, "considering finding a good home," or, "feel you might be forced to," or, "really think it would be better if," you unloaded the poor beast. Ninety-five percent of you already have your minds stone-cold made up that the animal will be out of your life by the weekend or holiday at the latest. Say so. If you don't, I'm going to waste a lot of time giving you common-sense, easy solutions for very fixable problems, and you're going to waste a lot of time coming up with fanciful reasons why the solution couldn't possibly work for you. For instance, you say the cat claws the furniture, and I tell you about nail-clipping and scratching posts and aversion training, and then you go into a long harangue about how your husband won't let you put a scratching post in the family room, and your ADHD daughter cries if you use a squirt bottle on the cat, and your congenital thumb abnormalities prevent you from using nail scissors and etc., etc. Just say you're getting rid of the cat.

2. Do not waste time trying to convince me how nice and humane you are. Your coworker recommended that you contact me because I am nice to animals, not because I am nice to people, and I don't like people who "get rid of" their animals. "Get rid of," is my least favorite phrase in any language. I hope someone, "gets rid of" you someday. I am an animal advocate, not a people therapist. After all, you can get counselors, special teachers, doctors, social workers, etc., for your ADHD daughter. Your pet has only me, and people like me, to turn to in his or her need, and we are overworked, stressed-out, and demoralized. So don't tell me this big long story about how, "We love this dog so much, and we even bought him a special bed that cost $50, and it is just killing us to part with him, but honestly, our maid is just awash in dog hair every time she cleans, and his breath sometimes just reeks of liver, so you can see how hard we've tried, and how dear he is to us, but we really just can't ... ."

You are not nice, and it is not killing you. It is, in all probability, literally killing your dog, but you're going to be just fine once the beast is out of your sight. Don't waste my time trying to make me like you or feel sorry for you in your plight.

3. Do not try to convince me that your pet is exceptional and deserves special treatment. I don't care if you taught him to sit. I don't care if she's a beautiful Persian. I have a waiting list of battered and/or whacked-out animals who really need help, and I have no room to shelter your pet because you decided you no longer have time for your 14-year-old Lab. Do not send me long messages detailing how Fido just l-o-v-e-s blankies and carries his favorite blankie everywhere, and oh, when he gets all excited and happy, he spins around in circles, isn't that cute? He really is darling, so it wouldn't be any trouble at all for us to find him a good home. Listen, we can go down to the pound and count the darling, spinning, blankie-loving beasts on death row by the dozens, any day of the week. And, honey, Fido is a six-year-old shepherd-mix weighing 75 pounds. I am not lying when I tell you big, older, mixed-breed, garden-variety dogs are almost always completely unadoptable, and I don't care if they can whistle Dixie or send smoke signals with their blankies. What you don't realize, though you're trying to lie to me, you're actually telling the truth: Your pet is a special, wonderful, amazing creature. But this mean old world does not care. More importantly, you do not care, and I can't fix that problem.

All I can do is grieve for all the exceptional animals who live short, brutal, loveless lives and die without anyone ever recognizing they were indeed very, very special.

4. Finally, just, for God' s sake, for the animal's sake, tell the truth, and the whole truth. Do you think if you just mumble your cat is, "high-strung," I will say, "Okey-dokey! No problem!" and take it into foster care? No, I will start asking questions and uncover the truth, which is your cat has not used a litter box in the last six months. Do not tell me you "can't" crate your dog. I will ask what happens when you try to crate him, and you will either be forced to tell me the symptoms of full-blown, severe separation anxiety, or else you will resort to lying some more, wasting more time.

And, if you succeed in placing your pet in a shelter or foster care, do not tell yourself the biggest lie of all: "Those nice people will take him and find him a good home, and everything will be fine." Those nice people will indeed give the animal every possible chance, but if we discover serious health or behavior problems, if we find that your misguided attempts to train or discipline him have driven him over the edge, we will do what you are too immoral and cowardly to do: We will hold the animal in our arms, telling him truthfully he is a good dog or cat, telling him truthfully we are sorry and we love him, while the vet ends his life. How can we be so heartless as to kill your pet, you ask?

Do not ever dare to judge us.


At least we tried. At least we stuck with him to the end. At least we never abandoned him to strangers, as you certainly did, didn't you? In short, this little old rescuer/foster momma has reached the point where she would prefer you tell it like it is:

"We picked up a free pet in a parking lot a couple of years ago. Now we don't want it anymore. We're lazier than we thought. We've got no patience either. We're starting to suspect the animal is really smarter than we are, which is giving us self-esteem issues. Clearly, we can't possibly keep it. Plus, it might be getting sick; it's acting kind of funny. "We would like you to take it in eagerly, enthusiastically, and immediately. We hope you'll realize what a deal you're getting and not ask us for a donation to help defray your costs. After all, this is an (almost) pure-bred animal, and we'll send the leftover food along with it. We get it at the discount store, and boy, it's a really good deal. "We are very irritated you haven't shown pity on us in our great need and picked the animal up already.We thought you people were supposed to be humane! Come and get it today. No, we couldn't possibly bring it to you; the final episode of 'Survivor' is on tonight."

~~Author Unknown
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old June 25th, 2005, 09:11 PM
Dogastrophe's Avatar
Dogastrophe Dogastrophe is offline
Senior Member
Helicopter Champion
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 773
Excellent post. If I may, I'm going to add to it by posting the dogs view of things. I pulled this off the Fredericton SPCA site:
***************

How Could You?
By Jim Willis

When I was a puppy I entertained you with my antics and made you laugh. You called me your child and despite a number of chewed shoes and a couple of murdered throw pillows, I became your best friend. Whenever I was "bad," you'd shake your finger at me and ask "How could you?" - but then you'd relent and roll me over for a bellyrub.

My housetraining took a little longer than expected, because you were terribly busy, but we worked on that together. I remember those nights of nuzzling you in bed, listening to your confidences and secret dreams, and I believed that life could not be any more perfect. We went for long walks and runs in the park, car rides, stops for ice cream (I only got the cone because "ice cream is bad for dogs," you said), and I took long naps in the sun waiting for you to come home at the end of the day.

Gradually, you began spending more time at work and on your career, and more time searching for a human mate. I waited for you patiently, comforted you through heartbreaks and disappointments, never chided you about bad decisions, and romped with glee at your homecomings, and when you fell in love.

She, now your wife, is not a "dog person" - still I welcomed her into our home, tried to show her affection, and obeyed her. I was happy because you were happy. Then the human babies came along and I shared your excitement. I was fascinated by their pinkness, how they smelled, and I wanted to mother them, too. Only she and you worried that I might hurt them, and I spent most of my time banished to another room, or to a dog crate. Oh, how I wanted to love them, but I became a "prisoner of love."

As they began to grow, I became their friend. They clung to my fur and pulled themselves up on wobbly legs, poked fingers in my eyes, investigated my ears and gave me kisses on my nose. I loved everything about them, especially their touch - because your touch was now so infrequent - and I would have defended them with my life if need be.

I would sneak into their beds and listen to their worries and secret dreams. Together we waited for the sound of your car in the driveway. There had been a time, when others asked you if you had a dog, that you produced a photo of me from your wallet and told them stories about me. These past few years, you just answered "yes" and changed the subject. I had gone from being your dog to "just a dog," and you resented every expenditure on my behalf.

Now you have a new career opportunity in another city and you and they will be moving to an apartment that does not allow pets. You've made the right decision for your "family," but there was a time when I was your only family.

I was excited about the car ride until we arrived at the animal shelter. It smelled of dogs and cats, of fear, of hopelessness. You filled out the paperwork and said "I know you will find a good home for her." They shrugged and gave you a pained look. They understand the realities facing a middle-aged dog or cat, even one with "papers."

You had to pry your son's fingers loose from my collar as he screamed "No, Daddy! Please don't let them take my dog!" And I worried for him and what lessons you had just taught him about friendship and loyalty, about love and responsibility, and about respect for all life. You gave me a goodbye pat on the head, avoided my eyes, and politely refused to take my collar and leash with you. You had a deadline to meet and now I have one, too.

After you left, the two nice ladies said you probably knew about your upcoming move months ago and made no attempt to find me another good home. They shook their heads and asked "How could you?"

They are as attentive to us here in the shelter as their busy schedules allow. They feed us, of course, but I lost my appetite days ago. At first, whenever anyone passed my pen, I rushed to the front, hoping it was you - that you had changed your mind - that this was all a bad dream...or I hoped it would at least be someone who cared, anyone who might save me. When I realized I could not compete with the frolicking for attention of happy puppies, oblivious to their own fate, I retreated to a far corner and waited.

I heard her footsteps as she came for me at the end of the day and I padded along the aisle after her to a separate room. A blissfully quiet room. She placed me on the table, rubbed my ears and told me not to worry. My heart pounded in anticipation of what was to come, but there was also a sense of relief. The prisoner of love had run out of days. As is my nature, I was more concerned about her. The burden which she bears weighs heavily on her and I know that, the same way I knew your every mood.

She gently placed a tourniquet around my foreleg as a tear ran down her cheek. I licked her hand in the same way I used to comfort you so many years ago. She expertly slid the hypodermic needle into my vein. As I felt the sting and the cool liquid coursing through my body, I lay down sleepily, looked into her kind eyes and murmured "How could you?"

Perhaps because she understood my dogspeak, she said "I'm so sorry." She hugged me and hurriedly explained it was her job to make sure I went to a better place, where I wouldn't be ignored or abused or abandoned, or have to fend for myself - a place of love and light so very different from this earthly place. With my last bit of energy, I tried to convey to her with a thump of my tail that my "How could you?" was not meant for her. It was you, My Beloved Master, I was thinking of. I will think of you and wait for you forever.

May everyone in your life continue to show you so much loyalty.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old June 25th, 2005, 09:35 PM
mafiaprincess's Avatar
mafiaprincess mafiaprincess is offline
Performance Spaniels
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Whitby, ON
Posts: 2,395
I hope you don't mind me crossposting (with credit of course)

I'm just too emotional about pets lately.. and I'm only on the edges of rescue.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old June 25th, 2005, 09:41 PM
Dogastrophe's Avatar
Dogastrophe Dogastrophe is offline
Senior Member
Helicopter Champion
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 773
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafiaprincess
I hope you don't mind me crossposting (with credit of course)

I'm just too emotional about pets lately.. and I'm only on the edges of rescue.
Feel free to cross post. I can't see any reason why not (then again I'm not the copyright holder ). When I first saw this on their site, it was not credited to anyone. I now see that they have indicated that it was written by Jim Willis (http://www.crean.com/jimwillis/).

Last edited by Dogastrophe; June 25th, 2005 at 09:43 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old June 25th, 2005, 10:06 PM
mafiaprincess's Avatar
mafiaprincess mafiaprincess is offline
Performance Spaniels
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Whitby, ON
Posts: 2,395
Thank you, I included the website asking people to include it if they crosspost it.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old June 27th, 2005, 04:40 PM
coppperbelle's Avatar
coppperbelle coppperbelle is offline
Owned by goldens
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Montreal
Posts: 1,806
Rescue

Last week I picked up a foster. She is only 6 months old and has been abandoned twice in her short life. The first time she was found as a stray on the streets of MOntreal. The second time her owner at least had the decency to contact a rescue. Her problem was that she mouthed and jumped on everyone. Keep in mind that this dog looks like a full fledge golden retriever and probably is as she also has all the traits of a golden.
Within a few days the mouthing issue is resolved (she will bark when frustrated instead) and she no longer jumps on the counters or people. All this in less than a week. Time and patience is all it took to solve this dogs problem. Tonight a potential adopter is coming to see her and with luck she will be going home on Thursday with her new mom. Good thing because I have become so attached and if she stays any longer she will staying forever.
I loved your letter. It says it all. If anyone wants to read another version go to our web site: www.goldenrescuequebec.com
While the people leave a lot to be desired in rescue seeing the success some animals make, makes it all worth while.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old July 17th, 2005, 06:48 PM
Cookie's Mom Cookie's Mom is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: FL
Posts: 32
Anyone who abandons an animal has no heart

All of our four pets were abandoned, three in our neighborhood, and one found starving in a wooded area.
You can learn much about a person from observing how they ineract with animals. Something to ponder.......almost all serial killers begin by killing and/or torturing animals.
Animals are the only beings on earth who are incapable of prejudice, who love unconditionally, who don't care about impressing someone, who don't care how they look or how we look, who will be loyal to their owners, sometimes, even if their "owners" abuse them. Many people who have pets, don't deserve them.
From what I know of the human race, in general, I much prefer the company of animals to the company of many humans. God bless the creatures, great and small, over which we have been given "dominion", and who are FAR superior to us in so many ways.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old July 18th, 2005, 10:22 PM
Cookie's Mom Cookie's Mom is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: FL
Posts: 32
Some nerve !!!!!

Two of our three cats were abandoned by the same person, when she and her family moved. We found out later that they moved to another home IN OUR NEIGHBORHOOD. A few years after she abandoned the cats, she actually had the audacity to show up at our front door, wanting to see the cats. Hubbie told her, "I don't think so."
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old March 20th, 2006, 07:34 PM
mom_to_many's Avatar
mom_to_many mom_to_many is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 246
Wow...no matter where I surf the net for help with something animal related....I find myself right back here!! I was looking for a polite way to deal with the "owners" of all the loose and abandoned dogs in town. I had 5 different ones "visit" my house today...weather is wet and cold.. My son and his GF just took another feline fur baby (4-5 mos) that had been forced outside because she unplugged the fridge?! I find that real hard to believe.

Anyways...back on the subject at hand...this is a VERY SMALL town with quite a few SMALL MINDED people when it comes to cats and dogs. The Editor of our local paper is very animal oriented and I think she would publish a letter that is done in a polite way to explain:

#1. Why they aquired the pet in the first place.

#2. How dependant the pet is..food, health, love, shelter

3# The trials and tribulations of said pet...puppy and kitten years...adult and sick. SPAY AND NEUTER!!

#4 What to responsibly do when said pet is no longer wanted

#5 What they are putting the pet through when pet is abandoned or let out to run the streets.


WE all know, but this is a very backwoods area here...just a dog...damn cats..



I have a real hard time being polite about certain things...this being one of them. I cannot write about this without anger and prejudice. Hence, it will not get published...been there before.

The headliner will be "Could this be written by your pet?" Of course I will put the descriptions of all my visitors also.

Any and ALL input will be greatly appreciated.. Oh the reason for the rant tonight was the little beagle at my fence...all wet and forlorn looking....I was going to bring him in...but can't get close to him:sad:

THANKs TO ALL OF YOU FOR THIS SITE!!

Last edited by mom_to_many; March 20th, 2006 at 08:35 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old March 20th, 2006, 08:03 PM
mom_to_many's Avatar
mom_to_many mom_to_many is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 246
This is the cutie thrown out in the cold for unplugging the fridge? Gimme a break...I would love to keep her....but 6 is enough:sad: Name:  DSCF0873.JPG
Views: 259
Size:  39.1 KB
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old March 20th, 2006, 11:07 PM
mom_to_many's Avatar
mom_to_many mom_to_many is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 246
Ok, I might have to change the title, and this is a real rough draft. Critics welcome!


Today I had 5 visitors at my house. All had 4 legs and tails that wagged. Some with collars, some without.Today was cold and rainy and I couldn't help but wonder why on this day were my visitors out?
Where were the owners of these visitors with fur? Do they know where their animals are? I think not; as this is not their first visit to my porch.
The visitors were of various breeds and size. One stood out above all. A little Beagle at my back fence all wet and sad. I would bring him in, if he would let me. But all my visitors seem a little skiddish. Do they really have a home I wonder?
I think of my own fur kids and how lucky they must feel when these cold, wet visitors come around. They know they have a warm house, full bellies, fresh water and a human with a soft touch and warm heart. They also know that I know they cannot survive without me.
What would happen if I were to abandon them or turn them loose everyday?
Well, it would be dodge ball with cars, bb's and birdshot, food out of trash cans; bigger, more aggressive dogs/cats.....or Animal Control. Those that are abandoned will live this life until death. And may death come quickly for those who would otherwise suffer.
Or maybe this is all a horrible dream as I could never abandon my pets. They are my fur children who rely on me for EVERYTHING! In return I get purrs, tail wags, and doggie kisses!
Yes we have had our share of ups and downs. Scraping up money for spay and neuters, vaccinations, fixing holes in the fence, fixing dirt holes under the fence, carpet cleaning, a trip or two to the sewer ponds and the bond money to bail the escapee out (better than a burial!) But this is what owning an animal is all about! If you do not have the time or money to "deal" with a pet, please do not get one. If you already own one and are considering abandonment, PLEASE take it to the Woodward Shelter or have the City call Animal Control out of Jet. Both facilities are great with placements, and the animal gets a second chance. And if needs to be euthanized, I'm sorry. But it is more humane than abandonment.

WELL?????????????????????
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old March 21st, 2006, 07:29 AM
twodogsandacat's Avatar
twodogsandacat twodogsandacat is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Niagara Region
Posts: 1,361
That's a great letter. They will still abandon their pets but at least they will have some chance without a horrible and slow death.

Only one recommendation: I would replace the word "skiddish" with "skittish" but that's it.
__________________
Don't blame me I voted NDP.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old March 21st, 2006, 08:59 AM
mom_to_many's Avatar
mom_to_many mom_to_many is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 246
Thank-you!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old March 21st, 2006, 09:49 PM
Byrd's Avatar
Byrd Byrd is offline
Flyball Mom
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Oshawa, Ontario
Posts: 1,906
I don't know how anyone could do such a thing. Just the thought of giving up Willow upsets me. No matter what, I have made a commitment for 15 or so years! She's my child... would a person give up their human child that easily?

I am going on a trip soon, and my mom will be watching her, if I couldn't find anyone to watch her I would take her to a nearby kennel that has a play all day program (no matter what the cost). The hardest thing for me is people that give up an animal because they are too lazy to find somewhere for them to stay while on vacation (my own sister did this... still a sore spot to this day between us).

But, then, I am a true dog owner, it's not a whim, it's a commitment.

That second post made me bawl, something that doesn't happen easily.
__________________

www.dogster.com/dogs/563959

If you learn one new thing from each person you meet, you will be a fountain of knowledge and your life complete. --Me
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old March 23rd, 2006, 11:02 PM
mafiaprincess's Avatar
mafiaprincess mafiaprincess is offline
Performance Spaniels
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Whitby, ON
Posts: 2,395
It's good. I hope it's published.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old March 24th, 2006, 12:23 AM
mom_to_many's Avatar
mom_to_many mom_to_many is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 246
I hope to give it to the Editor tomorrow.. And the owner of the kitten above came in to where I work today...He got a polite earful on how to deal with babies, baby proofing and a big "you do not just throw the kitten out after making her a pet"...chicken "you know what"...said NOT ONE WORD! OK, family site...I'm done! lol
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old March 24th, 2006, 06:52 AM
chico2's Avatar
chico2 chico2 is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Oakville Ontario
Posts: 26,594
Mom-to-many,what happened to that little beauty??
That little face is just saying"Please love me":sad:
__________________
"The cruelest animal is the Human animal"
3 kitties,Rocky(r.i.p my boy),Chico,Vinnie
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old March 24th, 2006, 07:47 AM
catsnatcher-CDN catsnatcher-CDN is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montreal
Posts: 651
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom_to_many
I hope to give it to the Editor tomorrow.. And the owner of the kitten above came in to where I work today...He got a polite earful on how to deal with babies, baby proofing and a big "you do not just throw the kitten out after making her a pet"...chicken "you know what"...said NOT ONE WORD! OK, family site...I'm done! lol
I don't know how people think..When I went to feed my homeless 5 yesterday, as I have been daily for the last 3 years (while losing sleep trying to home them), the kitties were looking at this older lady on the street who had stopped in my alley to watch them. When she saw me, she pointed to the tiger and said (get ready for it): " That one use to be mine."

I was in shock, I couldn't answer her. I wouldn't have said anything nice, anyway.

She walked away, I went to feed her cat!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old March 24th, 2006, 08:14 AM
mastifflover's Avatar
mastifflover mastifflover is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,007
This is one subject that makes me fume. I was at the Humane Society last year when this couple came into dump their dog. The usual excuse we are having a baby and can't keep the dog. So since I do not work there I added my unwanted 2 cents. I asked them if they will be giving up there first child when they decide to have a second one since they can not even care for a dog with a child how the hell will you manage 2 kids? The guy started to get really pissy with me and said it was none of my business and I said it is because I am one of those people who try and find your abandonded animal a new home. With with people like you dumping animals for no good reason. The rescues and humane society and animal control are bursting with animals because of people like you. So once you leave here without your dog who would probably lie down his life to protect you cannot be adopted and is euthanized I am sure you will not lose one moment of sleep. Well when you are old or no longer of use to your kids maybe they will dump you off at some old age home and just forget about you. Well the wife was in tears said we are not doing this and grabbed the dog and ran out. I thought the guy was going to slug me but I also think it was his idea to get rid of the dog. I hope they kept the dog but it makes me so mad. I cancelled a vacation because I could not find someone I trusted to take care of Bud. Oh well next vacation will be a road trip with Bud. My guy is here for life. He has been through enough in his life before he came to me.
__________________
Robin
A dog has so many friends because they wag their tails not their tongues.
R.I.P. Buddy 2002-2008 The best Mastiff ever.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old March 24th, 2006, 08:40 AM
catsnatcher-CDN catsnatcher-CDN is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montreal
Posts: 651
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastifflover
This is one subject that makes me fume. I was at the Humane Society last year when this couple came into dump their dog. The usual excuse we are having a baby and can't keep the dog. So since I do not work there I added my unwanted 2 cents. I asked them if they will be giving up there first child when they decide to have a second one since they can not even care for a dog with a child how the hell will you manage 2 kids? The guy started to get really pissy with me and said it was none of my business and I said it is because I am one of those people who try and find your abandonded animal a new home. With with people like you dumping animals for no good reason. The rescues and humane society and animal control are bursting with animals because of people like you. So once you leave here without your dog who would probably lie down his life to protect you cannot be adopted and is euthanized I am sure you will not lose one moment of sleep. Well when you are old or no longer of use to your kids maybe they will dump you off at some old age home and just forget about you. Well the wife was in tears said we are not doing this and grabbed the dog and ran out. I thought the guy was going to slug me but I also think it was his idea to get rid of the dog. I hope they kept the dog but it makes me so mad. I cancelled a vacation because I could not find someone I trusted to take care of Bud. Oh well next vacation will be a road trip with Bud. My guy is here for life. He has been through enough in his life before he came to me.
THAT'S RIGHT! GOOD FOR YOU!
I'm close to letting someone have it too!
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old March 24th, 2006, 08:41 AM
chico2's Avatar
chico2 chico2 is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Oakville Ontario
Posts: 26,594
Cat-snatcher,I admire your restraint!
I would have given this woman an earful,just to vent my own frustration
She obviously has no problems having someone else care for"her"cat.
OMG,I hate all these heartless cruel people and I hope they all get their deserves one day but unfortunately it seems to be people who care,who are suffering the most and the poor animals.
__________________
"The cruelest animal is the Human animal"
3 kitties,Rocky(r.i.p my boy),Chico,Vinnie
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old March 24th, 2006, 09:08 AM
mastifflover's Avatar
mastifflover mastifflover is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,007
I feel that most don't care but if one changes there mind it helps. I usually say what I think and it is not always a popular choice but oh well. I feel for those who are trying to deal with these morons and must keep a check on what they can say. I am sure there are a lot of bitten tongues at the end of the day. My hats off to all of the rescue workers you have a really hard job that breaks your heart daily. I am sure. Just helping out breaks mine. But when you place a dog in a forever home it sure does feel good.
__________________
Robin
A dog has so many friends because they wag their tails not their tongues.
R.I.P. Buddy 2002-2008 The best Mastiff ever.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old March 24th, 2006, 09:40 AM
mom_to_many's Avatar
mom_to_many mom_to_many is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 246
The older I get the less I bite my tongue and the more I bark!! The kitten is now with my son and his GF..but I have a feeling she will become a member of my house as the GF's dad may not let them keep her...have to convince him that 2 will keep each other occupied and out of trouble!! I also saw that A/C was in town 2 nights ago and my visits have all but stopped. Let one owner complain....I might need bail money!
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old March 24th, 2006, 03:43 PM
chico2's Avatar
chico2 chico2 is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Oakville Ontario
Posts: 26,594
Mom to many,I'm happy for that little sweet kitten,either way he'll have a home
I find as I am getting older and older I do not put up with any bull from anyone,it does not matter from whom(evil old woman ),whether I know the people or not.
I would not do well in rescue,other than I would try my darndest to help the animals,the evil owners,I would club over the head and off to jail I would go!
__________________
"The cruelest animal is the Human animal"
3 kitties,Rocky(r.i.p my boy),Chico,Vinnie
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old March 24th, 2006, 03:48 PM
mastifflover's Avatar
mastifflover mastifflover is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2
and off to jail I would go!
We will take up a collection and bail you out.
__________________
Robin
A dog has so many friends because they wag their tails not their tongues.
R.I.P. Buddy 2002-2008 The best Mastiff ever.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old March 24th, 2006, 03:54 PM
chico2's Avatar
chico2 chico2 is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Oakville Ontario
Posts: 26,594
Awwww thank's:love:
__________________
"The cruelest animal is the Human animal"
3 kitties,Rocky(r.i.p my boy),Chico,Vinnie
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old March 24th, 2006, 03:56 PM
Writing4Fun's Avatar
Writing4Fun Writing4Fun is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastifflover
I was at the Humane Society last year when this couple came into dump their dog. The usual excuse we are having a baby and can't keep the dog. So since I do not work there I added my unwanted 2 cents. I asked them if they will be giving up there first child when they decide to have a second one since they can not even care for a dog with a child how the hell will you manage 2 kids? The guy started to get really pissy with me and said it was none of my business and I said it is because I am one of those people who try and find your abandonded animal a new home. With with people like you dumping animals for no good reason. The rescues and humane society and animal control are bursting with animals because of people like you. So once you leave here without your dog who would probably lie down his life to protect you cannot be adopted and is euthanized I am sure you will not lose one moment of sleep. Well when you are old or no longer of use to your kids maybe they will dump you off at some old age home and just forget about you. Well the wife was in tears said we are not doing this and grabbed the dog and ran out. I thought the guy was going to slug me but I also think it was his idea to get rid of the dog. I hope they kept the dog but it makes me so mad. I cancelled a vacation because I could not find someone I trusted to take care of Bud. Oh well next vacation will be a road trip with Bud. My guy is here for life. He has been through enough in his life before he came to me.
Yeah!! OMG, I just about cheered when reading this post! Good for you! It's about time these people get told the truth. I bet, had they gotten rid of this dog, they'd probably get a new puppy in a few years because the child asked for one. Oh, I hope more rescue workers tell it like it is. Gosh! Getting rid of the dog because you're having a baby! That's the most insane thing I've ever heard. Our dog was 8 when we had our first child. There was NO WAY she was going anywhere. Know what? She was my son't first best friend. She died when he was 3, and he still talks about what a great dog she was and how he misses her - it's been 3 1/2 years now. See? I could never work in rescue. I'd forever be getting in trouble with people like this. Excuse me. I have to go hug my dog now.
__________________
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup. - Dilbert
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old March 25th, 2006, 12:44 AM
mom_to_many's Avatar
mom_to_many mom_to_many is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 246
WOOHOO...Teri said she would print the letter!! I don't know how much she will change..but I will show the printed version!! Oh and Shayla...the above Kitty is here for the weekend....she is soooooo sweet!!
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old March 28th, 2006, 01:53 PM
maigrey maigrey is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto
Posts: 68
While its one thing to get rid of your pet, its something entirely different to justify it so that you're doing them a favor.

When I was 13 and living in New Zealand, I decided to get a cat. And my parents, bless them, agreed even though they knew nothing about cat-rearing, so all the how-tos were provided by me. And I'm sad to say that I made one critical error at that time and it was that I did not get my cat spayed before her first litter of kittens. I didn't even realize she was pregnant till quite a ways down the line. Cutting the story short, she had three kittens - beautiful creatures. We gave two to the SPCA and I kept the eldest (the one that crawled the wrong way just after he was born and pee-d on me once). My dad and I went back once after we donated the kittens and one of them had already been adopted. (A few years down the line my dad confessed that he went back a second time and would have taken the other one back had he not been adopted - which he had been).

And years later, although they were kittens and although I was 13-14, I still take responsibility for that. I should have gotten her spayed and I still think about the other two kittens and pray that they're somewhere safe and happy and that if they aren't, its my fault. It breaks my heart sometimes, so I can't even imagine how people could leave animals they've had for years at a shelter with poor odds of being adopted.

Oh and if you're wondering what happened to my other two cats, well just imagining them confused and alone at a shelter was so unbarable that I took a firm stance when my parents said we were moving to Canada. "If my cats don't go, I don't go." My mother wasn't so keen on spending $1,500 NZD shipping my sweeties but my dad's half-hearted arguements went down like a house of cards. I mean, how can anyone leave their pets alone, in a small cage, waiting for something better that might not come? And JUSTIFY it?

I really hope that Buffy and Scampers (I was 14) are somewhere in New Zealand, safe and happy and loved though. I hope that with all my heart.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old April 16th, 2006, 11:11 PM
sealady sealady is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Pa.
Posts: 19
Pets?

I have three terriers, but a fourth has been added.
The ad said small female terrier, $25.00.
Being in rescue I didn't want someone taking her that didn't understand terriers so a call was made and off I went to see her.
I found a 11 month old 9 pound little thing tied up outside.
The guy was mad because she was digging and wild acting.
I found out I was to be her fourth owner, why?
Because no one knew Terriers were so "wild"
I just could not send her on, one look at that happy face as she tried to jump in my car, she just seemed to know, I have a forever home.
Yes she has problems, she lunges at big dogs and barks as if she could bite them.
I have no idea what caused this, maybe a dog tried to fight with her while she was tied up, I only know I will work with her and love her.
She fast became my shadow, waking me up with kisses and always so happy to see me.
Don't people read up on a dog before they get it?
Don't they check to see what it's like, how big it will get?
I have even heard of someone getting rid of the dog because he didn't match the furniture anymore.
As long as I live I will never understand how someone can look into those big soft eyes and then turn them over to a dog shelter.
I foster and it breaks my heart to send them on to their forever home.
But I tell myself, I was the way they took to get home.
SeaLady
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Terms of Use

  • All Bulletin Board Posts are for personal/non-commercial use only.
  • Self-promotion and/or promotion in general is prohibited.
  • Debate is healthy but profane and deliberately rude posts will be deleted.
  • Posters not following the rules will be banned at the Admins' discretion.
  • Read the Full Forum Rules

Forum Details

  • Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
    vBulletin Optimisation by vB Optimise (Reduced on this page: MySQL 9.09%).
  • All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:02 PM.