Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old June 24th, 2005, 12:02 PM
Senior Contributor

Chicken vs Duck

As I've mentioned before my LabX Halo has food allergies. I know for sure she has poultry allergies and cannot even eat foods that have poultry fat as an ingredient (yeah I know that's supposed to be okay, but not for us). I believe Prin said she was using Wolf King with Boo (?) who has poultry allergies, but having tried that we have a tummy rash again so it doesn't seem to be agreeing with her either. I now am leaning towards it being a red meat & poultry issue. Poor Halo is heading towards vegan... Anyhow, the pet store lady has recommended a food by Dick Van Patten with Duck and Potato (I always liked his show, is it the same guy???) She assures me Duck and Chicken are not connected - I don't know they both got wings... Have any of you tried this diet and what do you think about duck / chicken? We're just slowly mixing it into her diet right now and will see what happens.
Old June 24th, 2005, 12:15 PM
Hazel's Personal Servant

I don't know for sure, but I would think that chicken and duck would both be considered poultry. What formula of WolfKing do you have Halo on? If I was you, I would try a lamb & rice formula or a fish & potato before I tried duck. I've never had a dog with food allergies so I'm definitely not experienced with it. I'm sure that you'll get some responses from folks who have the same problems. Good Luck!
Old June 24th, 2005, 01:32 PM
Senior Contributor

Hi Kandy, Just gotta say boy I love newfs - lucky you. The Solid Gold Wolf King (I think it's solid gold) is fish and bison based. Hence our feeling about the red meat issues. I have had Halo on Lamb and rice before and it didn't work well for her either. She seems best on fish and potato recipies although not perfect. But that could be because BF has moose meat in the freezer that we cook up and sprinkle on the dogs food at night. Again why I feel it may be a red meat issue as well as poultry. This duck and potato one the pet store lady says is being fed to another customer who's lab is poultry sensitive as well and apparently they don't have any problem. So we're really reaching around here. But if it doesn't work out we're going back to the Wellness fish and sweet potato and we'll cancel out the moose meat and see how it goes. But like you I'm not sure there wouldn't be some sort of connection between duck and poultry??
Old June 24th, 2005, 01:39 PM

Yes, there is. As far as Boo goes, anyway. He gets violently ill with turkey, chicken, duck, etc. Nothing with wings in his food.

Is there RICE in all the foods you've tried? Or Oatmeal? Is there any other overlapping ingredient?

Cactus Flower gives Avoderm, totally veggie food because Raj is allergic to meat protein.
Old June 24th, 2005, 02:49 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks for answering Prin

Thanks for that input Prin. I knew you had similar issues. I will keep a very close eye on Halo for the next little while. Fortunately she seems to only get a rash on her belly, but it can get severe if we're not watching. I can normally tell if it's coming on because Shadow will start sniffing Halo's tummy if there's a sore coming up. Will watch VERY closely. Have made a note of Cactus Flower's food just in case. I'm thinking meat protein allergies too. We've also (years ago) sorta included grain and rice allergies so we try to stick to potato when possible. Ah the joys of allergies. Sometimes I think it would be easier just to go for the testing, we've never done that, just gone by process of elimination. My second biggest problem is boyfriend who thinks it's all in my head and thinks the dogs should get unlimited food from the table. Not scraps - they eat better than we do from the table sometimes...
Old June 24th, 2005, 03:13 PM
banned user

Thanks, Prin, for alerting me to this thread.

AvoDerm vegetarian has really saved my Raj. She's never looked better (skin, coat, etc), and the vet says that she is extremely healthy now. One thing to consider is that by the time a dog is showing any outward symptoms, they feel pretty awful on the inside. Food allergies can really drag down their immune system, too.
I would suggest trying a completely vegetarian diet first. If her symptoms clear up, let quite a bit of time pass, then introduce ONE meat protein to her diet. You can prepare the meat you are adding yourself, instead of adding it in the form of another dog food (which might have something else in there that she is allergic to). If she begins to react to that, stop adding the meat and allow SEVERAL weeks to pass before testing the next. You might have to wait even longer. Basically feed her the veggie food again, and when she has returned to "normal", wait a few MORE weeks before adding the next meat that you are going to try. This will give her system a chance to rest and build its immunity up again.
I find that this is a really good way for people to pinpoint exactly what meat protein the dog is allergic to.

Here is the link for AvoDerm vegetarian:
http://www.breeders-choice.com/Dog_P...rmdog_veg.html

Best of luck with this!
Old June 24th, 2005, 04:26 PM
Senior Contributor

Thank you

Thanks Prin and Cactus Flower (and everyone else). I have made a note about the foods discussed and will call my pet food place and ask about the AvoDerm. Fortunately Halo doesn't react too harshly. She gets her little rash on her tummy and right now has one eye (the skin around it actually) that looks a little dry. Other than that her coat is fabulously shiny and she seems in excellent health according to the vet (last week). We get so many comments on her great coat we're lucky with that given her allergies. But we'll definitely go with the vegetarian one and see what happens. I'm a little worried about the rice in it, but will try it anyhow. Thanks again so much you guys, I knew you'd have advice on this.
Old June 24th, 2005, 09:46 PM

Dear Dancer,

Duck and chicken are absolutely not the same. My cat has food allergies and she was on duck and pea for months, after being on Science Diet w/ chicken. The vet said the chicken was most likely causing her problems.

I posted a thread on Eosinophilic Granuloma complex a few rows down. Does your dog have this as well? I am having a hard time getting answers to my question. I am desperate!