Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old June 17th, 2005, 08:52 AM

cats "helping" to clean the litterbox

I was cleaning the litterbox this morning. I pile all the cleaned litter on one side of the box as I clean it. Well Honey jumped in the litter box and started leveling all the litter I had piled, I was only half done. She digs around in it for a couple of minutes, then leaves me to clean it all again. UGH

Sometimes I will be half done and both of them decide that they have to use the bathroom. So I have to wait till they are done before I have to reclean it all. Or they will wait until I have finished and then go and use it. Fu usually will wait until it is cleaned, then have a nasty smelling #2.

I was wondering if any other cat owners have any of these fun litterbox stories?
Old June 17th, 2005, 08:59 AM
Senior Contributor

my oldest cat growls at us when we clean her litter, shes unusually possessive about HER box, we ahve a separate box for the other 2 cats.

when we do the other box they wait for us to pour the fresh litter in and they race to see who is the first one who gets to use it.

sometimes if the looser is unimpressed they will squabble over it but usually the winner of the race struts her stuff awhile and takes her time using the litter.

my cats can be pretty competative with one another

I should take a pic of the 2 of them standing behind my husband cleaning the litter one day, they both assume the pounce position waiting for him to walk away so they can race

hehe

Eleni
"I used to look at [my dog] Smokey and think, 'If you were a little smarter you could tell me what you were thinking,' and he'd look at me like he was saying, 'If you were a little smarter, I wouldn't have to.'" - Fred Jungclaus
Old June 17th, 2005, 09:05 AM
Agility Addict

When I clean Minnow's box, she will usualy supervise for a minute, decide I'm boring and leave!

She makes no attempt to cover-up her poops so I think she is just as happy for me to clean it! But she loves to poop in that garden and then cover it up!
Old June 17th, 2005, 09:51 AM
Senior Contributor

my little one, lulu, does the same thing - she'll come "help" me, then I shoo her out, and she waits at the laundry room door, to just come in and crap when it's all clean. she'll also cover up her "business" for about 20 minutes, putting ALL the litter in the box on top of what she just did. both my cats have their own box, but lulu decides to claim both.
Old June 17th, 2005, 10:23 AM
Cat Whisperer

Loki's favorite trick was to wait until I turned my back to finish up the box and then hop into the bucket of litter and use the bathroom there.
Tailchaser and Scuffledig, Gerbils
Old June 17th, 2005, 11:13 AM
And Zoodle's Mom!

My one cat, George, would come and use the litte box while I'm cleaning it! ANd I have one cat that doesn't cover her poo. She also likes to dig forever in the box before she pees and afterwards so that the litter goes out of the box! She's an old girl, so she has a lower litter box. She won't go in the hooded ones!
Old June 17th, 2005, 11:24 AM
Senior Contributor

I have 3 kitties at the moment - two foster sphinbes and my YY. They each have their own box and they each have individual habits. Chelsea I think is digging to China and YY always manages to leave some litter outside the box tho she is generally scrupulously neat! Casey just does her bix and looks at the other two as if to say "c'mon, get ocver it already". They all do like to inspect their boxes tho and to supervise the cleaning, lol
Old June 17th, 2005, 11:54 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

When Sega was a kitten he would bury "things" in the litterbox .
One day my hubby called me at work and said he couldn't pick me up because he couldn't find the car keys, I took the bus home, and while scooping the litter that evening, There the were, buried in the litter box !!!

He had a love for "shiny" things, and some of the other things he buried were: a watch, necklace, engagement ring, lots of change (money)

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old June 17th, 2005, 07:38 PM

I had to respond to this thread, because it made me laugh...particular the cat burying car keys and other shiny things. Perhaps the kitty is part raccoon?

Maya is very bad about burying her poop. Chaco will scratch and scratch and scratch...the litter, the side of the box, the side of the hood...she will spend more time scratching and attempting to "bury" than she does actually going to the bathroom.

Linda
Old June 18th, 2005, 07:35 PM
Senior Contributor

When I clean the kittens litter, in a few minutes here comes the kittens and they will have to do both numbers in it and I will have to clean it again. I am glad to hear that you have problems with this as well I just thought I had wicked cats! LOL

Proud mommy to...
Meat Loaf (Brittany Spaniel) 13 months
CryBaby (5 years old)living with grandpa now
Chino (Doberman mix) 7 months old
2 new kittens (8 weeks old) Felix and Gizmo
Old June 18th, 2005, 09:13 PM
Meowwww!

LOL. Mine sit in wait and as soon as I'm done they each are in one!

As I can't smell (sometimes a blessing) and apparently lax in my regular cleanings, my little Clio let's me know when it's due for a cleaning by poping in and out of the hallway looking at me and mewwing. She's done this for years and it still gives me a chuckle.

Sporticus takes somewhat of a tantrum and starts digging loudly.
Sport aka "Sporticus" - 4 year old black & white kitty
Clio aka "Baby" - 4 year old grey kitty
Old June 19th, 2005, 12:19 AM
banned user

Quote:
Maya is very bad about burying her poop. Chaco will scratch and scratch and scratch...the litter, the side of the box, the side of the hood...she will spend more time scratching and attempting to "bury" than she does actually going to the bathroom.
I have 2 cats like this. Snook will scratch the box, top and side, then the wall, then the carpet underneath the box, then the box again. Sox will do all of that PLUS scratch in the litter like mad, like she lost something and is frantically trying to get it.
And all 4 of them will sit and watch till the litter is clean then politely take turns smelling it up again.
Old June 19th, 2005, 07:51 PM
Meowwww!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneaky2006
Snook will scratch the box, top and side, then the wall, then the carpet underneath the box, then the box again.

Clio does that too! Except for underneath the box as she's a little too small.

Here's a few pics I use to use for my recycle bin icons.
Attached Images

Sport aka "Sporticus" - 4 year old black & white kitty
Clio aka "Baby" - 4 year old grey kitty
Old June 19th, 2005, 07:58 PM
IHeart Marty&Minou's Paws

Marty and Minou like to watch me clean their boxes. . . once I'm done, there in there to inspect my work - if its satifactory, they show their appreciation by soiling it all over again. I now wait until the 'inspection' is over before I throw away all the dirty litter.
Old June 30th, 2005, 09:52 PM
Long Term Member

hehe!
Pepsi is ALWAYS doing that 'inspecting my work'
lol! Once I'm done she'll make it right, she'll level it and dig
it up, make sure theres not too much in there... haha
My cockatiel Jayson- 3months
Hailey- My cockatiel-2 years :love: