Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old June 26th, 2003, 08:04 PM

Unhappy Anal sacs

I took my 2 year old cat into the vet today and was informed that he has anal sac secretion. Although the vet attempted to expel the sacs himself, he was unable to and stoppped due to my cat's obvious pain. He then told me that although Oreo's glands were quite large that I should wait to see what happens. So now I am waiting for Oreo to expell them himself. However, I feel like I am letting my cat suffer. Is there anything else that I can do? He is otherwise perfectly healthy, up-to-date on shots, and appears to be happy. I am a first time cat owner and am not sure what to do. I just want to take the best care of my baby.
Old June 28th, 2003, 11:23 AM

cat anal sacs

I hope by now your cat had expelled his anal sacs.

If he hasn't he will become more and more uncomfortable.

If this were my cat, my baby, I would take him to another vet who may have a better technique for expelling the anal sacs.

Hillary
Old June 28th, 2003, 05:49 PM

Thanks for the advice.

He still has not expelled them so I think that I am going to take him in on MOnday to somewhere else

Kristin
Old July 1st, 2003, 09:51 PM

Unhappy

It has been a week and my cat still has not expelled his anal sacs. I called the vet to make another appointment but they cannot get me in for another week. If anyone has any information on how dangerous/painful/urgent/etc. that this is to deal with please let me know. He has had them for a few weeks now and I don't know much about what causes them or what the best way to deal with them is.

Thanks

Kristin
Old July 6th, 2003, 04:34 PM

Hi Kristin,

If I were you I'd get another vet. While blocked anal sacs are not dangerous, they can be pretty nasty. If the anal gland is not expressed it can become infected, which will be pretty painful for the animal. If the infection is allowed to continue the anal sac will abcess, rupturing through the skin of the animal. Although this will be painful (and distressing for you) it is not life-threatening and a good dose of antibiotics and routine cleaning with saline will clear the abcess up. After the abcess has healed, scar tissue will form in the anal sac which can cause mild irritation in the animal but is nothing to worry about. Clearly the best option is to find a good vet that can express anal sacs effectively (it's not a complex procedure). Don't leave a blocked anal gland too long as bacterial infection can set in quickly.

I hope this helps and hope Oreo's bum is back to normal soon.