Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Foster talk - Rescue talk - NO listings please

Old June 6th, 2005, 05:32 PM

small dog wanted

I'm new to this but hoping it brings results. my husband & I recently moved to Calgary, AB & have been look'g for a small dog... preferably a rescue dog. We've been "close" so many times -- miss'g dogs sometimes by seconds. If you know of a dog, *please* contact us... we so want to be parents.
Old June 6th, 2005, 05:37 PM

Hi there,

I am currently fostering a 1-year-old bichon/shih tzu in Calgary! He has an amazing temperament (he doesn't do a thing when my dogs bark at him), but isn't completely housetrained and hasn't had any obedience training. He's a smart little guy though and is picking up on things very quickly. He is up-to-date on all his shots, has been dewormed, and is getting neutered on Thursday. He is an absolute doll! Anyways, please let me know if you're interested, and I'll give you some more information. Here's a picture of the little cutie:
Attached Images

Old June 6th, 2005, 05:50 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh he is adorable I hope this works out for him, and way to go for you chocolatecoffee for taking in this sweetie fostering is a very rewarding experience isn't it!
Old June 7th, 2005, 05:23 PM
Senior member - formerly goldengirl

There are a number of dachsunds in Sask looking for homes. A mini doxie breeder has died and all his babies are up for adoption. Contact Canadian Dachshund Rescue if you are interested.
Old June 10th, 2005, 11:11 AM

Check Petfinder.com I know the Brooks Shelter has a few small dogs that are adortable and they will ship them to Calgary.
Old June 10th, 2005, 01:14 PM
Helicopter Champion

My experience here in Halifax is that small dogs rarely make it to the petfinder postings. It certainly wouldn't hurt for you to visit your local rescue and or shelter and discuss what you are looking for. Perhaps even get pre-approved and ask them to let you know when small dogs come in. On another note, medium and big dogs don't take up a whole lot of space and can be wonderful 'lap' dogs (my 10lb silky terrier takes up the same sleeping area as my 40lb dog ... he's a full stretch kind of guy)
Old June 12th, 2005, 11:40 AM

I live in Halifax as well and when I was looking for a small dog I couldn't find any. I looked on all the N.S. rescue sites, called vets, etc. and none of them had any small dogs. When I did find one, they'd be snatched up so fast, you couldn't even blink! One vet told me to put my name and the breed of dog I wanted on a list (some vet's offices have lists of people who want a certain dog) as well as the lists at the SPCA (they have the same type of lists) and then they would call if they got one in.

I'd say, if you really want a small dog, you have to get out there. Way out there. Put your name on every list possible. Check rescues. Check local classified sites for 'dogs to adopt' (watch out for BYB). Call local vet offices. Ask friends to spread the word (you might know someone, who knows someone who knows someone... ).

Last edited by levimh; June 12th, 2005 at 11:42 AM.
Old June 16th, 2005, 11:03 AM
Helicopter Champion

As the small ones are hard to find, I thought I'd post a link to this one. There is a ~2yr old silky terrier (mix ??) for adoption at the Celtic Pets Rescue Assoc in Cape Breton. http://www.petfinder.com/pet.cgi?act...50&tmpl=&stat=