Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old June 3rd, 2005, 10:33 PM
Agility Addict

Exclamation Anybody Watch "Cruelty To Owners"?

I hope that I am allowed to post this, if not then I'm sorry - I'm not trying to cause problems!

Did anybody watch 20/20's SPCA Cruelty to Owners - Animal Rescuers or Thieves?

I read a post saying the it was on this Friday so I tuned in. I'm not really sure what to think about it! I taped it so I could re-watch later in case I forget or missed something.

I found myself being easily drawn into their angle and I can only wonder how non-pet lovers received it! The news team had quite a few good points but I just do won't to believe that the SPCA (Texas) could be the villain in this case! I just hope that if it is all factual reporting material that it is an isolated incident and not widespread within the SPCA AND that it doesn't stop people from supporting the "good rescues".

At the moment the only thing that makes me think 20/20 pushed too far is that most of their case studies involved dozens if not over a hundred animals that were "wrongfully rescued" from breeder(s) and a shelter-rescue lady. A reputable breeder couldn't possibly have that many dogs, right?

Does anybody else have any thoughts?
Old June 7th, 2005, 10:10 AM
Senior Contributor

Haven't even heard of it. What did it show, exactly?
Old June 7th, 2005, 11:17 AM
Senior member - formerly Lezzerpezzer

20/20

here's a website with the show info. I didn't see it either, unfortunately.

http://abcnews.go.com/2020/story?id=817494&page=1
Old June 7th, 2005, 11:27 AM
Agility Addict

It was accusing the Texas SPCA of stealing animals from owners. By convincing the legal authority that the animals were living in deplorable conditions, being neglected etc...and going in and taking the animals away so that they could later be sold for a profit to the SPCA. Some of the dogs and horses were championship show winners (or however you say it) and were worth thousands or tens of thousands of dollars.

I don't know how true it is but it was a real shock! At first I refused to believe that an organization devoted to saving animals would do such a thing but bringing in money can be a big motivator!

20/20 went undercover and brought a vet along who posed as a camera man. According to him, the animals were not being starved or neglected etc....a particularly disturbing part was that the animals were being assessed for overall health by general staff memebers - not a vet. And many couldn't pin-point anything wrong with dogs. Also, quite a few were euthanized - but they didn't say why.

So, it's really a matter of how much you trust the media. Although they are good at spinning a story, it really makes you wonder just how much truth there is to their story.
Old June 7th, 2005, 05:37 PM
Hazel's Personal Servant

I saw something that also gave the Texas SPCA's responses to 20/20's allegations. It might be on the link that was given. There was also another thread about this I think. You still have to wonder how much of it is true, and how much is just media hyping to make the story better.