Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old June 2nd, 2005, 10:15 AM

Unhappy Now I know how Animal Foster people feel...

So, my first foster kitty ever was adopted out about a month ago to a seemingly nice lady who is married with one daughter who is older living at home. Anyways, the cat, Smoky, is about 6 years old and was found by an elderly woman on a reserve. When she was found and taken to the vet, they found out that her tatoo linked her right back to the rescue I foster for, meaning she had been placed in the past. Anyways, we went to pick her up and her tail was shorter than normal, probably due to frost bite. You can just imagine what she went through. As a kitten she's adopted to a loving home, who then abandons her on the streets, she comes to us with a partial tail, and then finally, some light! She's adopted! YAY!! I was so happy for her. Anyways, she got to her new home, and she started peeing on the daughter's bed! One of the other volunteers asked her to try changing the litter to the clumping kind. They did that, and it worked! The lady that adopted Smoky, seemed pretty keen on making it work too, which gave me hope that this would work out. I should add that they already have a male cat who's 4.5 years old, that could have triggered the peeing. Anyways, she calls me last night and says they're returning Smoky because she started peeing on the daughter's bed again. That's fine, and I can understand that, but I asked her if she's been to the vet, and she said no. She also said Smoky was scratching her ear to the point where she was crying. I said that it may be a medical issue like a bladder infection or something, and ya know what she said?? "Well, we don't want to invest a lot of money into her if it's not working out." WHAT??? Seriously, what the hell is that?? It's not working out because she could have something medically wrong with her! And at least rule out anything medical before giving up on her! Anyways, I'm so pissed off that I could scream! When I rescued my dog Red, I invested so much money into her health and well being, but it never even crossed my mind to give her up! She's my dog, no one else's and I loved her. That goes for all my rescues! I mean, look at Helix our heeler cross! He's crazy and was soooo much work. We put so much into him, and I contemplated giving him up because we seriously tried everything and it just wasn't working. But luckily, he turned around and we can't imagine life without him. I just don't get selfish people like that. It's so sad!

Anyways, so Smoky's coming back and getting a proper vet check up to see if something's wrong with her. I don't think we'll adopt out another cat to this lady either, and I hope no other rescue does. She's the type that once something medical comes up, she gives the cat back. I said to my husband that Smoky was so happy with us, that she maybe missed us and the cats and dogs. If we didn't have 3 cats, I'd insist on keeping Smoky. We just can't afford to, and I feel so guilty and bad for the poor thing! She deserves a home with people who have more than a minute's worth of patience. I'll be very careful screening the new adopters this time around. She deserves so much better! Sorry, that's just my rant for the day.
Old June 2nd, 2005, 06:05 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
She deserves a home with people who have more than a minute's worth of patience.
Yes, they all do, but these days it seems if a pet is not 100% PERFECT from the second it enters the home - OUT!!

I wonder how many human adults could instantly fit in if they were placed in a house full of strangers who didn't speak a word of their language?

I know of someone who returned a dog after 4 HOURS when the new dog didn't instantly become best buddies with the resident dog.
Old June 2nd, 2005, 06:26 PM
Senior Contributor

Gawd, that ios horrible - tho I do know it happens!! Sighhhhhhhhh!! I hope this woman never gets another cat from the group you foster for and depending on privcy issues, never gets one from any other group too. Of course there are still the idiots who run those "free to good home" ads,
Old June 2nd, 2005, 07:32 PM
Senior Contributor

This is when I want to believe in the legend and divine justice!
Attached Images

Old June 3rd, 2005, 11:20 AM

Yeah, I think I always knew these types of people existed, but I never really knew until now. She called me last night, wanting to drop Smoky off right away. I haven't moved my other foster kitten into a new foster home yet as that's being done today. I couldn't believe how much of a rush she was in! She also pretended to sound sad about the situation and upon talking to the coordinators of the cat foster side, she's going to be put on the do not adopt to list, incase she tries to get another cat. I'm making a vet appointment right now for Smoky so we can get any medical issues ruled out. If it's not medical, we'll just see how she does with us and try and asses what the peeing problem may be and where it's coming from. She was there last night, and no accidents. Just scratching the crap outta my carpet! I gotta buy a little post for her for her room. She's so sweet! I'll post pics when I can.
Old June 3rd, 2005, 11:39 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Glasslass that is great, and I sure hope it's true!

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old June 3rd, 2005, 11:48 AM

When I brought home my two oldest cats (kittens back then and litter-mates), one of them peed on the bed a few times the first week. One even pooped on the bed once. When I brought home the third kitten 9 months later (their younger full-blood sister), she also peed on the bed a few times during the first week. We never got mad at them or yelled or anything, just changed the sheets and cleaned up the mess.

It stopped in both cases after about a week or so. I think it was just that they were stressed from being taken from a place they were completely familiar and comfortable with. Once they settled in, they stopped.

The funny thing is that they never peed or pooped on my side of the bed, it was always on Alen's side. Guess they are mommy's babies.
Sable
Old June 3rd, 2005, 05:01 PM
Hazel's Personal Servant

Love that quote!

Poor Kitty - and to not even want to try to take it to the vet *shakes head*. Our dog Boon, who was thrown over our fence as a very young pup in the middle of winter, was a very happy destro-mutt! She chewed everything...and I do mean everything! Man, was she rotten and I loved her dearly (RIP). Peeing on the bed wouldn't be that big of a deal - heck, Hazel peed on hubby the first night we had her (she sleeps on her own bed next to ours now - )