Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old June 1st, 2005, 06:33 PM

Smile some thoughts about this site...me rambling on a little too long, basically

I have a friend that i work with who had been thinking about getting a cat. She was planning on purchasing one or looking through the papers for a free one. She was also planning on declawing. She loves cats but was pretty ignorant about things. I have spent the last few months trying to educate her and found myself reciting a lot of the things i have seen posted here. I just found out today that she got her cat a few days ago. Not only did she adopt from the humane society, but she adopted an older cat (i had been trying to convince her she did not have the time or patience for a kitten) who happened to be the cat that had been at our local HS longer than any other animal. Her boyfriend has also been set to work on making a kitty gym/ scratching post so they can start training her not to claw the furniture...no declawing!

Today i came into my "nursery" to find that two of my five newborn kitten fosters had their eyes open..... the four month old, extremely scared and aggressive feral i have been working with for the past month or so slept with me last night and the founder of the rescue i volunteer with asked me to become co-coordinator of the adoption events. To think a few years ago i was researching puppymills for a random college assignment, horrified that i could be so ignorant about where those cute little puppies i fawned over in petshop windows came from. I had no idea what a BYB was and i had no idea how terrible the pet population problem was. I would have easily purchased a puppy from any person with an ad in the paper when i was ready for my own pet. I guess the point of my post is that education is so powerful and while there are some that may never be open enough to hear the truth, there will always be the people that take that information and do great things for the animals with it. Regardless of the people that come on this site and sulk when they don't hear the advice they wanted, or the people that whine about posters not being nice enough, i have been so amazed by the wealth of knowledge that can be found here. This site has helped me with everything from fostering to my own cat's medical issues and has made me feel prepared and confident enough to start volunteering with puppymill rescues, which is what i really wanted to do in the first place but was nervous about taking on that kind of work. So for everyone who takes a few minutes out of their busy life to help educate someone else: thank you!
Old June 1st, 2005, 10:22 PM
Senior Contributor

I like it too. I learn a lot here and have a place to vent.
Old June 2nd, 2005, 12:14 AM
banned user

What a wonderful post!

I agree, wholheartedly.
Old June 2nd, 2005, 12:06 PM
Senior Contributor

well said and oh so true.
As I said many times I had no idea of the extent of puppy mills or the fact that pet shops used them. I had no idea about Iams and issues regarding them. I did know neuturing was imporant but not to the extent I know now. And I even know some stuff about cats and I have never owned one.
Love this site!
Old June 2nd, 2005, 02:29 PM
banned user

Agreed, wholeheartedly!

I had no idea about puppy mills or BYBs before coming to this site, and I had no idea about rescues, but I'm very grateful that I found this site.
Old June 3rd, 2005, 06:11 PM
Hazel's Personal Servant

This is a great post! I have learned so much, and the things discussed here often lead to me doing research just to find out more or see if I can find something that might help someone else. I like the discussions that go on, and I like that everyone will give you their honest opinions - no sugar coating. I'm here so much I think that my husband is getting really tired of hearing ... "I read on my site today......".
Old June 6th, 2005, 10:32 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Wow it warms my heart to read that post.

I cannot tell you how happy it makes me feel to read that this board is helping MANY people daily.

I too have learned a TON reading the posts and I too will ONLY adopt/rescue in the future.

Thank you to everyone that contributes so much to this site.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter