Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old May 29th, 2005, 08:46 PM

What Keeps your Dog Busy?

Hi there,

I looking for inspiration on what your dog likes to chew or play with to keep busy. It probably seems obvious, but I could use some ideas. My little puppy has a low motivation issue...he doesn't like to chase balls, doesn't like nylabones, squeaky toys, hide/seek, frisbee or tug ropes. He does like pop cans and a fresh beef bone, but only for about 15 minutes, and then it's on to chewing things he shouldn't chew!

Do you have anything unique or some ideas on new toy/chew things...or maybe something you didn't think your dog would like, but loves?
Old May 29th, 2005, 09:11 PM
Performance Spaniels

Mine shreads most commercial toys even though she's only 20 pounds and pretty much grown..

I've lately taken to giving her 2 litre pop bottle with the cap and ring removed, cattle hooves from petsmart, and double smoked cow pieces. I know they are high in salt, but I've run out of things for her to play with that keep her interested for more than 5 minutes.
Old May 29th, 2005, 09:11 PM

My doggies stay busy by dreaming... Other than that--- kongs, air dogs, "Cuz" squeaky toys, empty water bottles, socks...

Last edited by Prin; May 29th, 2005 at 09:14 PM.
Old May 30th, 2005, 06:42 AM
Owned by goldens

toys

How old is your puppy? Try this: get a Kong, put a bit of peanut butter in the bottom along with a few pieces of kibble and then a little more peanut butter. Freeze it overnight and then give it to him. That should work.

I have read the empty water and pepsi bottles are no good for dogs to play with. I think it had something to do with the chemicals that are used in the making of the plastic.
Old May 30th, 2005, 07:29 AM
Owned by Saints

My pups favourite toy is actually ice cubes. He plays with them for a bit, pushing them around the kitchen floor. Then he lays down and chews on them. Although technically they don't last longer than 5 minutes either. I usually give him 5, which keeps him busy for about 20 minutes.
Old May 30th, 2005, 10:09 AM

socks. My puppy absolutely loves knotted socks. I know it's not necessarily the best idea because it can encourage her to chew other socks, but she will spend hours just chewing on a sock.
Old May 30th, 2005, 11:19 AM
banned user

Get another pup who loves to chew to steal his toys! This is what happened to Diego: he had no interest in any toys until I borrowed my friend's older dog. In just 2 days, he "suddenly" developed immense interest in all his toys. LOL
Old May 31st, 2005, 03:20 PM
Hazel's Personal Servant

The kong is a good idea - although we haven't had to do that yet for Hazel. She is content with an ice cube (which she thinks is a really neat treat) or if you play 'get you' with one of her stuffed toys. She also loves squeaky toys. She chews on my hubby's shoes if you aren't watching her, and she did take one of my slippers outside yesterday. Because she has a playmate every day from 6 am to 5 pm - she seems to be pretty tuckered out at night. Since yesterday was a holiday, I think she was getting bored.
Old May 31st, 2005, 03:25 PM
Senior Contributor

my kids play with the dog so much that when he isnt playing with them hes off in dreamland or snuggling in my lap

a 15 lb lap dog LOL

Eleni
"I used to look at [my dog] Smokey and think, 'If you were a little smarter you could tell me what you were thinking,' and he'd look at me like he was saying, 'If you were a little smarter, I wouldn't have to.'" - Fred Jungclaus
Old May 31st, 2005, 03:36 PM
Agility Addict

My dog has destroyed almost every single toy I've bought him! He hasn't managed to destroy his treat dispensing toys but I found out when I forgot my book at home that he finishes it in 10 minutes - probably less time then it takes ME to prepare it !!!!
So the only way to keep him from being destructive is to make sure he is good and tired before I leave him alone!
He loves the cat as a chase toy and a snuggle buddy.
Hmmm....what else?! He really likes those HUGE balls - Petcetera had them, they look like tennis balls but are supersized! He loves to push it with his head and try and grab hold BUT he has knocked lots of stuff over in the process!
Sometimes I leave treats hidden around the house which he loves (he's a scenthound!)
I also just found out that he absolutely LOVES the cat's laser pointer toy! Which is just as well because the cat hates it!
Old May 31st, 2005, 03:37 PM

My dog like the Ice cube thing as well. I put about 10 in her water dish, she bobs them out, plays with them, eats them, and then goes back for another.

Another thing Roxy really likes is lambs ears, they are way less fatty than pig ears.