Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old May 19th, 2005, 11:50 AM

Switching food.

Ok I know I'll probably get lectured about this but here it goes anyway. I have been feeding my dog Iams (I know, I know). I was having trouble finding a place that sold a better food, I know that's not an excuse. Today my coworker told me that she feeds her dog Wellness, one of the brands I have been searching for. She gets it at a place called pet ranch. So now I'm going to switch Candi to Wellness. My question is what formula is the best? Candi is a year old and has skin allergies (I'm not sure what they are from but it's not food I don't think, makes her very ichy and she has dry skin) do you think the fish and potato formula would be best? Or the lamb and rice? Is Wellness a very good food or only average? can you please give me some brands that might be better so I look to see if they have them? Also does Wellness sell a cat food? I would also like to switch Jasmines food as well. and what formula do you think would be best for her? She is 12 years old and has heavy dandruff (from the Iams no doubt) and sheds ALOT. Thanks so much for the help in advance.

*ducks and hides from the flames.

Candi- Italian Greyhound
Cash- Italian Greyhound
Jasmine- Tabby cat
Old May 19th, 2005, 02:09 PM
Senior Contributor

Wellness is an excellent food, using only human grade ingredients and no corn. I've been feeding nothing else for 3 years and my dog is healthy and has a beautiful coat. Also, since you will feed much less of Wellness than of lower quality brands, it really doesnt' cost more! Another benefit is less poop too!

Your dog's coat/skin problems could be from the IAMS. Of course I dont' know (could be allergies to something else, age, heredity.etc) but if they are then the change of food might be all that is needed.

I feed the 5 in 1 Supermix, but you can start off with lamb and rice and see how that goes. Give it 6 weeks and see if you see a difference in your dog's coat.
Old May 19th, 2005, 02:36 PM

I just wanted to comment on the dry skin. I'm no Vet, but I'm guessing that she has dry skin because of lack of her own natural skin oils. To help this you could try giving her a Cod Liver Oil or Salmon capsule a day.
Old May 19th, 2005, 03:16 PM

I'd say start with the fish and tato one. Fish being a main ingredient is supposed to help with skin issues, and you are less likely to have overlap in ingredients if food allergies are the cause of the itchiness. I say, always go with the food with ingredients you have seen the least to combat allergies.
Old May 19th, 2005, 03:21 PM

thanks so much looks like that is the food i'm going to be using. Candi has very sentisive skin, when I brought her home she had some kind of skins problem the vet couldn't figure out and gave us fatty acid pills that are suposed to help with the dry skin, was going to send us to a doggie dermatologist (big $$$) but about a week before the hair grew back and the skin turned back to it's normal color (it had turned black ) and the vet said that if it didn't go back to just keep an eye on it. But the fatty acid pills seem to work very well, she still has some dry skin but nothing like she used to.

Candi- Italian Greyhound
Cash- Italian Greyhound
Jasmine- Tabby cat
Old May 19th, 2005, 04:35 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
skin turned back to it's normal color (it had turned black
Don't worry about that. It's just caused by the exposed skin being a different temperature.

My dog gets seasonal alopecia, and the skin turns black.
Old May 23rd, 2005, 10:34 PM

well I got the wellness whitefish and sweet potato. I was mixing the foods together to switch her over but she was just picking out the wellness and leaving the iams in the bowl, so I'm just giving her the wellness, so far no tummy upsets. I also switched my cat to wellness senior (she's 12). She also ate it but she ate the iams as well, she is a bit of a pig and will eat anything you give her . Hopefully I'll see a change in their coats. My mother was completely against me giving her a new food, I don't understand why, I mean i'm feeding it to her and I'm paying for it, what is her problem? oh well what you going to do?

Candi- Italian Greyhound
Cash- Italian Greyhound
Jasmine- Tabby cat
Old May 24th, 2005, 12:51 AM

My dad's the same way. I haven't lived with him for around 6 years, but he's still outraged at the amount I spend on food...
Old May 24th, 2005, 08:40 AM

My dog see's a vet dermatologist
She has had him on Fatty acid supplements and they have worked well for us.
She just switched me to Evening Primrose oil capsules every 12 hours. Told me its less fattening for him since he is a bit rotund!
Old June 4th, 2005, 01:32 AM

Talking

I like to feed Natural Balance and Wysong. Daily, I use Prozyme, Grizzly Salmon Oil, and Brewers Yeast w/garlic and EFAs. I like to give my dog about 2 eggs a week and a tsp of plain yogurt regularly. I started with Iams and the groomer said that his flakiness may be from Iams. I researched a ton about pet nutrition for my pup and my parrots!! I find it so interesting! I love the Wysong websight. They offer a TON of info and will send you info via mail. My sheltie has the prettiest coat and skin. He feels so nice and hardly sheds. I also brush him at least three times a week.