Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old May 12th, 2005, 04:17 PM
Arf! Arf!

Getting tired of the stereotypes

Everytime I meet someone they do the following:

1) Call my dog a husky repeatedly even after I correct them and tell them its an Alaskan Malamute.

2) Tell me that my dog will kill cats, rabbits, and small dogs.

3) Eat me out of house and home.

Now the facts:

1) Zeus is a 23 week (5 months) old 78 lb Alaskan Malamute.

2) Zeus plays in the backyards with rabbits and cats. He has never injured either of them. He lies on his back and lets little dogs walk on his chest or he protects them from more aggressive dogs (pics of him protecting a pomeranian on his homepage).

3) He chews on wooden sticks he finds in the backyard. Leaves our furniture alone. He eats 3 cups of food a day not 6 or 7 like others have suggested. The breeder's largest dogs eat 4 cups a day.

Ok I'm done my rant.

This was brought on by me attending a dog meet a few days ago and the coordinator requesting that I keep my dog on a leash while the smaller dogs play because she was afraid Zeus would "eat the smaller dogs".

My Alaskan Malamute Puppy's Homepage: [url]http://members.fortunecity.com/maximus7[/url]
Old May 12th, 2005, 04:19 PM

I totally understand your plight. A man at our park had a Kuvasz and it took him months to find this doggy and everybody calls it a pyranees...
Old May 12th, 2005, 04:42 PM
Hazel's Personal Servant

Newfs mistaken too...

I know how you feel. I get alot of people who think that Newfs are just black pyranees and when I tell them its a newf they come back with, 'oh its the same thing since newfs came from pyranees'. Wrong! I think I read somewhere that way, way, way back, pyranees were used to help strengthen the newf breed, but they aren't related. The first time I had anyone recognize Lacey for what she really was, I was shocked. In fact I almost started my normal - no she's not pyranees - response before I realized that they had gotten the breed right!

Don't feel bad - we all know that Zeus is a malamute - and a very handsome one too! Maybe you could get a saddle blanket with "I am an Alaskan Malamute!" (or "I am not a Husky!") embroidered on it that goes over his back!
Old May 12th, 2005, 07:13 PM
Senior Contributor

I get same comments about my American Eskimo and he only weighs 21 lbs. and is 13 months old now. People think he is a Samoyed, a Husky, a big Pomeranian - or a white wolf club (actually this one I can understand when he is standing howling at the top of a pile of snow - but his tail does curl up, so we are safe) - AND that he is such a "pretty girl" - well he is a pretty boy.

He unfortunately is a little chewer - but always has a super strong toy at the ready when caught chewing blankets, sheets, towels etc. He has the teeth of a 40 lb. Eskimo.
Old May 12th, 2005, 07:31 PM

Many people confuse my American Eskimo as well although she is a pretty girl and people think she is a boy (and thats before they find out her name is Phil!). Most people think she is a baby samoyed. Although she is 21 pounds and 7 months old. I've also had a number of people tell me what a nasty dog she's going to be and hows shes never going to like strangers or other dogs. Phil is the complete opposite! She loves EVERYBODY! I hate it when people base their opinions just on the breed and not the actual dog.
Old May 12th, 2005, 07:45 PM
<-----nut ball

People always think our bulldog is a pitt bull...I've just gotten used to it.
Old May 12th, 2005, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandy
The first time I had anyone recognize Lacey for what she really was, I was shocked.
Is Lacey perhaps a Landseer??? Otherwise, I see NO reason why anyone would mistake a pure black newf for a kuvasz or anything else for that matter other then what it is! LOL
Old May 12th, 2005, 10:29 PM
banned user

I get ppl thinking that my dog is not even a pure breed ...or worse, a cocker spaniel
Grifen-- A lot of ppl have difficulty telling the diff between the malamute and husky. The only way i can tell myself is the broader chest. Huskies are just more common. But I feel your venting, it drives me nuts seeing a malamute that someone calls a husky. its always been a doggy pet peeve of mine.
Kandy - i am shocked that ppl don't know that a newf is a Newf. Black Pyrness? Thats crazy! hehe, my step dad loves the breed, and Justices fave playmate is a overweight newfie
Raingirl - I would b**chslap anyone that thought your dog wasa pitt! My god, are ppl really that stupid?!

Last edited by Safyre; May 12th, 2005 at 10:32 PM.
Old May 13th, 2005, 07:05 AM

My beardie gets called a little old english,my english shepherd is a border collie.My collie and cairn are both pretty obvious.Most people don't know any uncommon breeds.When I had my boxer I had a lady come up to me and tell me that my pit bull was going to kill my daughter.oh well we all know what they are!
Old May 13th, 2005, 09:42 AM

Try owning two Bordeauxs

People always tell me that Angel is the biggest pit bull they have ever seen! I have always just laughed then corrected them.
C`Zarr doesn`t get mistaken for any other breed, he just gets called a PONY all the time. People will on occasion ask if he is a bullmastiff but I have only had one lady get the breed right. I was shocked AND PLEASED that someone recognized the breed for what they are.
I do get "oh those look just like that dog on Turner and Hooch" to which I respond well that`s a good thing because they are the same breed.

I get asked a LOT about how much food they eat and if my dog food bill is higher than my household grocery bill. It isn`t but people just don`t know and they find it amusing to say the things they do, mostly because they can`t think of anything else to say.
Old May 13th, 2005, 11:31 AM
Agility Addict

I know exactly what everyone is saying. It gets pretty annoying, especially since it happens constantly with dog owners - you'd think they'd be a bit more knowledgeable!

EVERYONE thinks that my 60lbs, 25 inch American Foxhound is a BEAGLE!! I am completely serious when I say that I will buy him a t-shirt that says "I'm not a beagle". Last weekend, a guy actually asked if Dodger was a beagle/wolfhound mix - how insane can you get???

My friend owns a basset/lab mix - 2 people have run screaming in the other direction (slight exaggeration) because they thought he was a pitbull!

It's pretty annoying but I've learned to calm down about it. What bothers me more then mistaking the breed is the saying "Oh, he's a hound, he'll never listen to you" or "You'll never be able to trust him off-leash" and even "He's dangerous because he's hunter, he'll attack anything small that moves". Sometimes, I just want to crawl in hole and never speak to another human again! And it seems that speaking to dog owners is worse than non-dog owners because they think that they know more about my dog than I do!! Ridiculous!

I can't imagine how annyoing it must be for people who have "dangerous" breeds!!

Melissa
Old May 13th, 2005, 11:37 AM

Kandy, at least they call it another rare breed-- If you came to our park, they'd probably call her a lab...
Old May 13th, 2005, 11:44 AM

You wouldn't believe how many people mistake my IG for a puppy whippet or most commenly a puppy greyhound. I'v only ever had one person know what my dog really is. I don't get too upset though because IGs aren't very common around here and they really do look exactly like tiny whippets or greyhounds. What drives me nuts is when I tell people that haven't seen her yet what she is, then explain to them what it is and show them a picture when they can't comprehend that there is a dog that looks just like a greyhound only smaller , and I always get comments about either how skinny she is, or that she must shake all the time because that is what toy breeds do. When I tell them she doesn't shake they try to tell me that she has to because they have seen toy breeds, and they all shake. Now who knows more about the breed? Me or them? I mean they didn't even know what it was until I showed them and explained it, then they try to tell me they know more about the breed then me . That is one of my biggest pet peeves.

Candi- Italian Greyhound
Cash- Italian Greyhound
Jasmine- Tabby cat
Old May 13th, 2005, 11:59 AM
Senior Contributor

You want stereotypes, try owning a pit bull.

NO, her brain is not going to outgrow her skull.

NO, she is not going to "turn on me" and kill me in my sleep.

NO, she has no appetite for toddlers.

NO, she does not have shark teeth.

NO, she does NOT have "locking jaws" (can anyone explain how that works?)
Old May 13th, 2005, 12:37 PM
IHeart Marty&Minou's Paws

I'm going to have to be honest, and say I DIDN'T know there was a difference between a Malamute and a Husky before logging onto this website. . . (to be honest I don't know if I could tell the two dogs apart side by side either )

. . .Being a 'cat' person this website has given me a real insight to dogs and dog owners! :P

Not being exposed to many 'big' dogs as a child - I can totally understand why people sometimes fall into believing streotypes - - I'm sure I've been one of those people. . .

I think now I am aware of many of the streotypes many of you dog owners have to face day after day - I just hope that instead of everyone getting upset and angry with people that just don't know, we can channel that into something positive and educate people about all these great dog breeds!

As someone has in their sig line 'There are no bad dogs, just bad dog owners'

. . . .as a side note: could someone tell me how to tell a Malamute and a husky apart?? thanks!

Last edited by JDG; May 13th, 2005 at 12:39 PM. Reason: i speel gud
Old May 13th, 2005, 01:26 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

[QUOTE=Lise]My beardie gets called a little old english,my english shepherd is a border collie.My collie and cairn are both pretty obvious.Most people don't know any uncommon breeds.

I have to admit, I have called a bearded collie a OES on many occasions, 1 just recently. *hanging head in shame*

But....! Not very often does one meet up with a bearded in Florida.

I have learned from my last mistaken identity (from the owner), look at the tail & body frame first)...Not very common here, learn everyday.
Old May 13th, 2005, 02:15 PM
banned user

Huh. I've never gotten a malamute and a husky confused. To me, they look quite different. Maybe because my Mom had a malamute, I was more familiar with the breed. We all lived on the same ranch, and I used to spend a lot of time with that dog.

Perhaps someone could post a pic of both breeds?
Old May 13th, 2005, 02:50 PM
Senior Contributor

Welcome to my world!

Bad thing about pits are people really believe what they hear. Lock jaw... jaw power is 5000/ psi which is wrong.. I believe its like 2000/psi and the rottie is actually 3000/psi

As for other breeds Im usesless but I never say is that a.... cause I know that im no expert... I know basic popular breeds only

Last edited by Luvmypit; May 13th, 2005 at 03:06 PM.
Old May 13th, 2005, 09:36 PM

biggest stereotype, PIT BULLS are all huge dogs,

well the funny thing is that mine because she is a bit smaller than most has been called a Jack Russell Terrier (hum), a Lab puppy (4 year old pit), a Boston Terrier ( Right now If I have any stupid questions, I just answer, no she is an overgrown chihuahua)

2nd thing that pisses me off, Nakita is fully black except her tail, chest and paws( which are white), and there are a few guys around my age (17-20) who would come up to me and say:
-"Cool it's a pit. Is it a red nose or a blue nose??" (DUUUUHHH) i mean, i just smile back cause what am i suppose to answer to an idiot? i 've tried answering once , i said :
-"Can't you see? She is fully black!" - the answer was
- "Yeah I know! But is she a red nose or a blue nose?
Old May 14th, 2005, 01:08 AM
Senior Contributor

Ask and you shall recieve...........

This is an Alaskan Malamute.
Attached Images

Old May 14th, 2005, 01:10 AM
Senior Contributor

Here is a Siberian Husky....My sister owns 3 of them.And to be honest no one has ever mistaken them as Malamutes.There is quite a difference between the two.
Attached Images

Old May 14th, 2005, 01:33 AM
banned user

Thank you, Mona! I sure appreciate that.

My Mom's Malamute was HUGE. I mean like almost Great Dane HUGE.
I was surprised that the Malamute pictured was that small. Is it a young one? Or was my Mom's just unusually large? I thought that they were bigger than Huskies. Looks as though I am going to learn something here.....
(which is the best part!).
Old May 14th, 2005, 02:00 AM
Senior Contributor

Your very welcome....

He just looks small...Actually he is a pup.It's a pic of him "stacking"...He is starting his showing.The ususal standard for this breed is roughly 25" in height.And the weight is usually around 85lbs..Now this is the ideal height and weight..They are actually the same height as a GSD..My GSD is 25" from the shoulder.This is for an adult male.Females are usualy 2" smaller and 10lbs lighter.
Old May 14th, 2005, 12:45 PM
banned user

I see! I've got to tell my Mom to stop putting steroids in the dog food....

KIDDING!!!!!!

I'll try to find and scan the picture of her Malamute and her together. "Lady" is standing on hind legs, and is taller than my Mom (who is 5"4). I'd be interested in your opinion on her size.

Sorry to hijack and back to the topic on hand! Seeing these pics, especially of the young Malamute- I have to say that while the difference is obvious to me, that is probably only because I have had personal experience/bonding with a Malamute. With the similar color, I can understand why some people would get the young ones confused. As adults....I still think that they are only similar in the way that Rottis and Dobermans are.
Old May 14th, 2005, 06:09 PM
Senior Contributor

for some reason everyone assumes charlie is a boy, what cant pretty dogs that are big be girls?? hmmmm

they all assume she is a serial killer, i was asked by a jogger the other day if i could leash my dog (he was 500m away and not coming near us) you can imagine what i told him to do , oh and they also asked if i know the dog laws, WTF, hello dont hassle me at 6am, i am likely to attack and maul you

and no SHE IS NOT A DINGO who the hell has seen a big chubby 35kg dingo in this country, sorry but i must have had my head in the sand and missed the big ones. i am sick to death of ppl saying she is a dingo, and saying it like im an idiot 'oh no she is definatly a dingo' well oh no she bloody well isnt!!!! i knew her mum and dingos have specific teeth structure and body, she is not a god damed dingo...and it does not matter how many times i say it, they just look at me like im a freak......

i do understand she is tan color, jsut like a dingo, and her face could be dingoish is german shep sort of way, but oh my god......

i had a 9yo boy recently ask if she was dingo, i reckon his parents mentioned it....perhaps its because i look like some sort of wild bush woman who would have a dingo, thats the only explanation i can come up with.

PS- i am forever defending lock jaw with ppl, trying to make them believe me that it does not exist, and for the life of me absolutly noone believes me, truly, it msut be a nightmare to own the poor babies, bloody idiots rule and the gene pool needs a little chlorination......
Old May 14th, 2005, 10:52 PM
banned user

Another one to add to the stereotype for Pits - If they have black on thier tongue, they crave blood. (I tried to convince someone who owned three pitties that this is not true . How the heck could it be?!?!)

Last edited by Safyre; May 14th, 2005 at 10:53 PM. Reason: whoops, swore, corrected to 'heck'
Old May 15th, 2005, 09:53 AM
owned/operated by dogs!

people only see what they want to see

My old girl was a BC but she had very very VERY fluffy fur. As she got older I started getting her buzzed to help keep her comfortable and cool (no AC at the time).

well....people in our off leash area freaked "GET THAT PIT BULL ON LEASH!!" I had one lady try to kick her while her little cocker spaniel was trying sooo hard to play with Kerri

No matter how often I tried, no one saw past the short fur and the markings.

Here's the face of my Kerri with her border collie buzz cut
Attached Images

Kerri (03 Oct 93 - 11 Jan 05) If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to
heaven, and bring you home again
Old May 15th, 2005, 11:08 AM
Hazel's Personal Servant

Nope, pure black

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjranch
Is Lacey perhaps a Landseer??? Otherwise, I see NO reason why anyone would mistake a pure black newf for a kuvasz or anything else for that matter other then what it is! LOL
Lacey was pure black. I think that because you don't see any newfs around here but there are quite a few pyranees people assumed that she was a pyranees. I have lived my whole life in this town, and I only ever remember one newf - he must've been an escape artist or something because I would see him in the pound every once in a while but they would never adopt him (I tried, believe me, I tried) because they knew the owner would be to get him. After we got Lacey, an acquaintance of mine got a big male from somewhere in Canada. As far as I know, there are only three in town now (ours, my son's and Linda's big canadian boy).
Old May 15th, 2005, 05:12 PM
Senior Contributor

:sad: o dogsnfish, thats jsut stupid. how dumb is the mass of society, that dog looks like a cattle dog to me, certainly not a pb, poor baby. (PB should stand for poor baby, i reckon)

man again, i truly think the gene pool needs a little chlorination :sad:
Old May 15th, 2005, 09:19 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Flower
I see! I've got to tell my Mom to stop putting steroids in the dog food....

KIDDING!!!!!!
LMAO...Too funny..........

I know everyone talks about the sterotyping of dogs.And I think we have all heard the ones about the Pits(LR stated),BUT we also have to understand that alot of people don't know the differences of alot of breeds.Some breeds look simular to other breeds.They don't have the knowlegde like we do.So can we really get upset for this?The only reason my daughter knows the different breeds is because I taught her.And I actually quizz her..LOL....And hubby is learning..... ...Mind you,he's pretty good at most of the breeds.His 2 favorites are Boxers and Huskies......