Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old May 9th, 2005, 04:01 AM

New to this forum

Hi, I am new to this forum and I plan to get a small dog, such as:dachshund,
griffon bruxellois, West Highland White Terrier or Schnauzer (Standard). Do you guys know where I can find them in Toronto area? And how much do they cost?

thanks
Daniel
Old May 9th, 2005, 02:33 PM
Senior Contributor

HI and Welcome!

If you want to get a dog from a breeder be very careful. Avoid pet stores, puppymills and backyard breeders or you could end up with a dog who has a ton of health problems.

To find a good breeder, you can take a look at this site.
http://members.tripod.com/antique_fcr/goodbreeder.html

If you aren't sure what a puppymill is, you can find out Here:
No Puppymills Canada
Old May 9th, 2005, 02:57 PM
Senior Contributor

As a former Dachshund mommy - dogs of my life - I suggest you speak with your vet or the vet you will take your pup to about Dachshund disc disease before you seriously commit to a Dachshund. I absolutely could not go through the pain and heartbreak again - top neurosurgeons can only do so much - or put a little big guy through it again. I now have an American Eskimo and must content myself with having little love fests with every Dachshund I see. The Dachshund temperament can be very Alpha so you should also be aware of this - worked for me, but not for everyone, which is how I came about adopting my guys. Unfortunately many breeders are breeding pups from parents that suffer from the disc disease and no breeder is about to give you X-rays of the parents. I would say if you go the Dachshund route you will probably find yourself travelling west of Toronto to somewhere between Guelph and London. But please, speak with a vet first. Most definitely do not adopt the little Dachshund you see in the window of a pet store.
Old May 10th, 2005, 03:16 PM

Thanks for your information!! I find this forum is very helpful for a beginner to learn more about their pet. After I discuss with my girlfriend (who will become my wife) and my family, we decide to get a West Highland White Terrier. Do anyone know where I can get West Highland White Terrier in Toronto Area? How much does it cost? Also what kind of health care I have to do with this little puppy?

Thank you
Old May 10th, 2005, 05:20 PM
Senior Contributor

I dont' know where to get a Westie, but I do know they can have terrible skin problems if not well bred. These are true terriers, stubborn, headstrong, and usually with high prey drive. They may be small, but they don't know it!

You can find out more, and find a breeder at the following site:

Westie club of Canada
Old May 10th, 2005, 07:22 PM

Thank you, LuckyRescue. I guess it will take me some time to understand about Westie before I buy it from breeder. This is not a easy decision to buy a dog, since it is a commitment for at least 15 years.
Old May 10th, 2005, 07:46 PM
Senior Contributor

A friend of mine in Burlington had two Westies, and they lived for 15 and 16 years! They were such little characters, and could they bark!!

Here's Bobbi and Becky.
Attached Images

Old May 11th, 2005, 10:13 PM

bichons!

Hey Uncledan,
If you want a small cute and fluffy dog with a good temperament, consider a bichon frise! We had 2 of them for 14 years (now we have 1) and they are much better with kids than the westies (I saw you are getting married :love: ). Plus their fur is actually hair so no shedding. Our dogs, and other bichons we have known, were very very friendly with everyone - very nice dispositons!
Jen
Old May 12th, 2005, 08:55 AM
Senior Contributor

Welcome Daniel.....

My Mom had a Westie,Scottie.He was with her for 13 years.And he was amazing with all the grandchildren.With any breed,socialization is the main thing.

Have you researched the breed you mentioned?If not,may I suggest you do.This way you can find out the different trates,health,feeding and all there is to know about the breed you want.

As for the price,well that veries.And usually when getting one from a breeder,you will be put on a waiting list.And you will go through alot of red tape.Responsible breeders screen potential new owners.

LR,Bobby and Becky are adorable....
Old May 12th, 2005, 11:59 AM
Hazel's Personal Servant

Welcome!

Welcome to the site and Good Luck in your search for a pup. Have you thought about going through a rescue organization to find a dog? Or adopting from your local SPCA? Just thoughts... Good to have you aboard!