Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Foster talk - Rescue talk - NO listings please

Old May 8th, 2005, 08:40 PM
Agility Addict

Rescue People are Amazing!

Hiya,

I posted a thread (Found Kitty) in the lost/found section and I need to rant about where I am now!

It is quite clear at this point that this kitty has been abandoned - he needs to be fixed and probably vaccinated, he's about 8 months- 1 year old. I've been calling everyone that's lost a cat with no luck. I've also had some calls from people looking to adopt him, here's a sample list of callers:

Caller # 1 - "Oh if the cat is not neutered yet then he will be aggressive as an adult" (they passed on adopting him)

Caller # 2 - ..."My cat is heat right now, I'm sure you can hear her, she comes into heat every 6 weeks, so he needs to be neutered before I can adopt him" (how responsible of you)

Caller # 3 - "I'm looking for a cat to impregnate my DSH cat" (Ummm - think again buddy!)

Caller # 4 - "Your ad is misleading" (I'm not sure what's misleading about "abandoned male cat, needs to neutered, loves dogs and cats"?)

I have never in my life wanted to strangle so many people that I don't know! But I've also never been so upset with my family - who are accusing me of making it impossible for anyone to take the cat! How could I, in good coonscience give him to anyone of those callers?

I've called about neutering him and have a tentative date at the end of May but I'm running out of time with my family, if I can't find a responsible owner soon, this poor kitty will end up at the humane society.

Anyway, I never realized why the people at my local humane society were so "cynical" until now. How anyone involved in rescues finds the courage to continue amazes me.

The way our society treats animals as inanimate, disposable objects is so unfair and seems impossible to escape or cure. Even within my family of supposed animal lovers - I realize just how much animals are made to suffer because no one wants to take the time or money to help an innocent animal. It's like my family thinks - okay, we've saved 2 strays in the past, we can't do it anymore and its not our duty. They are so naive about what will happen if we don't try - how can people not care, espcially people that I thought cared more than others? They just don't get that ignorance does in fact kill!

I am so grateful that there are people who do care and are willing to work towards bringing about change. Thank-you to all of you!

Melissa

Here's the kitty with my dog last night:
Attached Images

Old May 8th, 2005, 08:50 PM
Agility Addict

Here he is again. He has settled so well with my dog and cat and they have also accepted him just as well. The cats play with each other and this guy is so gentle - even though he is much stockier/stronger than my siamese! He doesn't ever stop eating - he inhales his food, Minnow's (cat) food and the dog's food!!!! When he first arrived he actually tried to drink hot chocolate, he even took the liberty of chewing the dog's steak bone!!! But really, he could probably survive on love and affection - he just needs companionship and I really hate the person who could do this to him.
Attached Images

Old May 8th, 2005, 10:07 PM
Senior Contributor

There's no chance you can keep him? Intact dime-a-dozen tabbies don't have much chance at the shelter.

Quote:
I really hate the person who could do this to him.
Ditto.
Old May 9th, 2005, 07:34 AM
Agility Addict

I don't think I can keep him - if I lived in my own house then of course - unless my family miraculously gets attached to him then its a big NO!! Right now I'm just working on keeping him until he is fixed - hopefully they will allow that! I've called everyone I know and some people that I don't know - nobody will even foster him for a while. I am doing my best not to let him end up at the shelter but I'm really losing respect/faith for mankind!
Old May 9th, 2005, 09:08 AM

He's such a pretty kitty. Hope he finds a home.
Old May 9th, 2005, 09:27 AM
Senior Contributor

Since you are nearby, I can post him on my Petfinder site and try to get him a home.

Quote:
Caller # 1 - "Oh if the cat is not neutered yet then he will be aggressive as an adult" (they passed on adopting him)
Responsible people (and those are the only ones you want!) don't wish to adopt an intact tom cat. As soon as you get him neutered, I will list him for you as Urgent!
Old May 9th, 2005, 10:28 AM
Agility Addict

Thanks Lucky, I'm gonna keep my fingers crossed until he is neutered! I know that I can't find him a home without him being neutered...I did tell the caller about setting up an appointment for the end of May but they insisted that it was too late - he was going to be aggressive...
Old May 9th, 2005, 10:39 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I did tell the caller about setting up an appointment for the end of May but they insisted that it was too late - he was going to be aggressive...
That is complete nonsense. This person obviously knows nothing about cats, so you wouldn't want him/her adopting your cat anyway!