Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old May 7th, 2005, 11:26 AM

Geriatric Terrier Cross Rescue Dog- health issue

We have three rescue dogs- all terrier crosses- mystery breed. Our most recent addition to our family is a 10 year old female larger sized dog named Ashes. She looks to be a blue heeler or cattle dog terrier cross. We adopted her from the humane society 7 weeks ago after she was surrendered by her owner.
Ashes came to us as a previously unvaccinated dog without any previous owner health records. At the Humane Society,she had geriatric blood work prior to teeth cleaning and hind dewclaw removal. She is on Rimadyl 100 for Arthritis- 1/2 tab 2Xday. All appeared well.
Here is the story... note we have visited our vet and have advice we have been following along with another vet visit in two to three weeks for another x-ray followup.
In the last week Ashes has been yelping upon getting up from a lying down position- when it has been for a long period of time...yelping lasts for only a few seconds and once she walks it out she is fine- we have also noticed some panting/restlessness- mainly in the middle of the night- and she has a had a slight temp- 38.4 which we are monitoring. She has had xrays and the only indicator is that there may be some fuzziness around the top -shoulder bone of the left front leg. We have been uanble to repeat her pain upon manipulation at the vet clinic. Any info /suggestions would be appreciated. THX SO MUCH!

Last edited by ssteward; May 8th, 2005 at 07:25 PM. Reason: move to Pet Health
Old May 7th, 2005, 11:53 AM
Senior Contributor

I don't have much to offer, but thanks so much for taking in this older dog and trying to help her pain. You're an
Old May 7th, 2005, 07:12 PM

Smile glasslass

Thanks for the note... I am really looking forward to learning alot from other dog devotees!
Old May 8th, 2005, 03:06 PM
banned user

might want to move this one over to the Pet Health Topic lower on the website here, you might get some more responses!