Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Foster talk - Rescue talk - NO listings please

Old May 3rd, 2005, 02:01 PM

Affordable low cost spay - neuter clinic - Montreal

Hello fellow rescuers,

I have been dealing with Vanier College for all my dogs' spaying/neutering needs. However, I cannot get an appointment until June 13th, for my next batch of dogs, and I have a dog who is being adopted in TO.

So, I need to have her spayed, but cannot do this at Vanier until mid June. This family has been waiting to adopt a mature dog who needs rescuing for a while now, and I'm afraid they will adopt elsewhere if I don't get Maggy up to TO soon.

Can someone help me with a low-cost clinic they deal with? At Vanier, it would cost me $115 taxes included (for her age and weight). If someone can help me find a vet that will do it for that price, I could consider this dog to be adopted... If not, she may get passed up and at her age, her chances are very limited.

Anyone in a position to help can PM me. Thanks

Added by Marko - The Telephone # for the Vanier Spay Neuter clinic is 450-458-0333
Old May 3rd, 2005, 05:10 PM
Senior Contributor

I don't know about this situation, but can't you get her done and cover it with the adoption fee?
Old May 4th, 2005, 02:06 PM

Maybe I missed previous posts about this girl but what breed/weight is she? And have you called a few vets to see if anything comes close in price? What kind of a difference are we talking about?
And one last thing: I think you don't have a car, right? So it needs to be on the island of Montreal?

Lyne
Old May 4th, 2005, 07:19 PM

My problem is, my adoption fee doesn't cover vaccines and spaying at regular prices! And the difference is over $100. Shje's 7 yrs. old and over 85 lbs.

But I am getting in touch with the Bond Foundation. I might be able to organize something there.

Thanks for all your help and advice
Old May 5th, 2005, 07:35 AM
Senior Contributor

My adoption doesn't cover the full costs of the vet work they get either,not sure why that is a problem?
Old May 5th, 2005, 07:45 AM
banned user

Her problem is that she is not a rescue rather a rescuer

she was hoping to just get a few opinions ...

LilRickyMom - I've pm'd you.
Old May 5th, 2005, 07:58 AM
Senior Contributor

What does that mean?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamperedPets
Her problem is that she is not a rescue rather a rescuer
Old May 5th, 2005, 10:37 AM
banned user

It's quite simple what I mean LL1

RESCUER : finds/takes in a stray and tries to find a home but b4 adopting one would like to try and have that pet sterilized (because isnt that's the difference between rescue/rescuers and ignorant pet owners) and maybe needs help from known RESCUE's (no I didnt say rescue's have alot of financial means) I mean they have more resources, donations and/or possibly can absorb cost until adoption fees can be acquired) or even better some rescue's have worked out deals with vets. Surely it doesn't hurt if she ask's for help - does it?

So I do find your question asking LilRickyMom what her "problem is" very condoscending and as you know - this isn't the first time someone said this very same thing to you!

Frankly I am quite sick of your attitude Just because you've been a member here what since Sept'04 you feel u have a license to be (prin said it best I believe) 'CLIQUE-ISH or kinda SNOOTY"

Seeing this is an open forum to ALL I don't feel a few members should ruin it for the rest especially newbies.

All I've heard from you LL! was accusations from the start Why are you sooo defensive? Try re-reading your threads

I've been accused of 'SLANDER' : Isn't it only slander if it were lies?????? and, how could it be lies if I seen this with my own eyes.

IF NOT - THEN, all of you have been slandering ...

I have also contacted Marko.
Old May 5th, 2005, 10:42 AM
Senior Contributor

My goodness,Iasked a simple question as I didn't understand what you meant,as the two terms mean the same to me.I did not ask what "her problem" was, I asked why it was a problem. I'm not defensive at all, clearly you are upset about something.I have no idea what you mean by slander,I haven't slandered anyone.I also am not in clique.I don't think your insults were called for.

Last edited by LL1; May 5th, 2005 at 10:57 AM.
Old May 5th, 2005, 12:35 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

In answer to the original post
I know here in Ontario, if you go north (farming communities) I find you get better deals at those vets. I have taken 3 cats from my trailer park to get spayed, and find they are much cheaper then city vets, especially when I explain the circumstances.

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old May 5th, 2005, 12:36 PM

OK, don't argue on my behalf. LL1, I am not offended, as I don't take offense very easily. I am a "rescuer" in the sense that I am a person, all alone, rescuing about 30 dogs a year. I don't have a steady job anymore since the Mega City Merge (still fighting - going on 2 years), which doesn't allow me to absorb vet costs for dogs I want to rescue. If I was rich, hell I wouldn't care how much it cost, but what I put in, MUST come back.... Otherwise, I will not be doing anyone a favor, once I'm out in the street for not paying my own bills before spaying/neutering abandoned animals.

I have been doing an excellent job on my own (you can see all the dogs I've adopted out in the 10 years in the photo album of my site, http://sophie.rimasec.net) and occasionally ask for advice to the different rescues. I found this site a few months back (when I had Lil'Ricky as a foster!!) and thought it was quite helpful, but I do see a lot of venting and "bitching" between members, so not sure how often I will keep coming on here.

Been rescuing in my little corner before rescues starting popping up all over, and I will continue to do this in my little corner. All this political stuff, arguing back and forth, badmouthing other rescues/rescuers, is too much.

Anyway, that's it.... I will find my own solutions to my problems.
Old May 5th, 2005, 12:40 PM
Senior Contributor

It sounds like you are doing a wonderful job!I in no way was disparaging you or the rescue you were doing,I just asked a couple questions,that's all.I apologize if my questions offended you,that was not that intent in any way at all.
Old May 5th, 2005, 04:00 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Quote:
So I do find your question asking LilRickyMom what her "problem is" very condoscending and as you know - this isn't the first time someone said this very same thing to you!

Frankly I am quite sick of your attitude Just because you've been a member here what since Sept'04 you feel u have a license to be (prin said it best I believe) 'CLIQUE-ISH or kinda SNOOTY"

Seeing this is an open forum to ALL I don't feel a few members should ruin it for the rest especially newbies.

All I've heard from you LL! was accusations from the start Why are you sooo defensive? Try re-reading your threads

I've been accused of 'SLANDER' : Isn't it only slander if it were lies?????? and, how could it be lies if I seen this with my own eyes.

IF NOT - THEN, all of you have been slandering ...

I have also contacted Marko.
That's completely uncalled for. I would suggest if you have a problem with someone that you take it privately. Dirty laundry need not be aired on the forum, thanks.
Old May 15th, 2005, 11:52 AM
banned user

Quote:
It's quite simple what I mean LL1

RESCUER : finds/takes in a stray and tries to find a home but b4 adopting one would like to try and have that pet sterilized (because isnt that's the difference between rescue/rescuers and ignorant pet owners) and maybe needs help from known RESCUE's (no I didnt say rescue's have alot of financial means) I mean they have more resources, donations and/or possibly can absorb cost until adoption fees can be acquired) or even better some rescue's have worked out deals with vets. Surely it doesn't hurt if she ask's for help - does it?

Well said, PamperedPets. I too, find this board has a few too many *bad apples*, who post merely to stir up trouble. Which is why I very rarely post. If these so called rescuer's were really rescuing, they wouldn't have the time to post hundreds and hundreds of posts! As the old saying goes, "those who can, do, those who can't, preach".

Warmly,
Kimberly
www.kismutt.com
www.canadanopuppymills.com
Old May 16th, 2005, 07:13 AM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kismutt
Well said, PamperedPets. I too, find this board has a few too many *bad apples*, who post merely to stir up trouble. Which is why I very rarely post. If these so called rescuer's were really rescuing, they wouldn't have the time to post hundreds and hundreds of posts! As the old saying goes, "those who can, do, those who can't, preach".

Warmly,
Kimberly
www.kismutt.com
www.canadanopuppymills.com
So, just for clarification purposes... from your above statement I comprehend...if you have several posts then you must not be doing anything with regards to rescue?
Old June 7th, 2005, 08:30 AM
Critter Lover

You might want to try Pillet Animal Hospital in Montreal.. on 910 Oglivy Avenue.. 273-4921 they are pretty good about the situation.. You might talk to Dr. Vareze.. or Dr. L... something.. both are VERY understanding..

Nutmeg

weblog @ [url]http://tangynutmegsspirit.blogspot.com[/url]
Old June 7th, 2005, 10:08 AM
Titleless

The Bond Foundation

www.bondspayneuter.com
Phone/Fax: (514) 935-5029
Old June 7th, 2005, 10:26 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Here are some links for you:

http://www.operationnoblefoster.org/...htm#nationwide

http://www.operationnoblefoster.org/.../resources.htm
Old June 7th, 2005, 12:07 PM

Is this THE Luba? Welcome back girl!

Heather
Old June 7th, 2005, 12:56 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

GM
I'm happy to be remembered!!
Old June 19th, 2005, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil'RickyMom
OK, don't argue on my behalf. LL1, I am not offended, as I don't take offense very easily. I am a "rescuer" in the sense that I am a person, all alone, rescuing about 30 dogs a year. I don't have a steady job anymore since the Mega City Merge (still fighting - going on 2 years), which doesn't allow me to absorb vet costs for dogs I want to rescue. If I was rich, hell I wouldn't care how much it cost, but what I put in, MUST come back.... Otherwise, I will not be doing anyone a favor, once I'm out in the street for not paying my own bills before spaying/neutering abandoned animals.
I don't understand the "rescuer, not a rescue" thing. In fact I'm offended by that. Are you saying "rescues" can spay and neuter but "rescuers" can't? The rescue I'm with has less money than you because it has no job steady or otherwise so no income whatsoever. The rescue has been in debt for much of its' existence. What a joke that a "rescue" has more money than a "rescuer".

I think it comes down to your ethics - I believe spay/neuter is part of responsible rescue, period. The rescue I'm with has no income or no more means to spay and neuter than anyone else - probably far less. We have to fundraise. And this rescue has had a lot of animals with medical conditions. If you're vetting 30 dogs a year you'll get discounted vet care if you look for it, and even if you couldn't, you just charge an adoption donation that covers the spay or neuter. You don't have a choice because rescuers more than anyone know the results of leaving the spay/neuter to someone else. We have no excuse to be doing that.

Sorry but I just don't feel it's optional to spay/neuter and I have heard so many people say "I'm just a private person doing rescue, I can't afford what rescues can". I don't know why people would think unfunded non-profits with major liabilities have money because most don't, or what these people think that "rescues" are. They're just "rescuers".

There still is no excuse for releasing intact dogs or cats. If as a rescuer you still won't do it knowing the above, you book the appointment and have it prepaid by the adoptor before you transfer ownership. It costs you nothing. One well-known Canadian rescuer/rescue's excuse for not spaying/neutering is "up here where I am people won't pay an adoption fee that covers a spay/neuter". Then why are you adopting to them? If they're not going to reimburse you for a discounted spay or neuter, you think they're going to pay full price? Isn't this acknowledging that these dogs won't get altered? This is not a responsible rescuer. If a person won't adopt if they have to spay or neuter then you've made a bad placement. But the fact remains that it doesn't have to cost the rescuer a penny to spay or neuter so I still think it's a buck we can't pass on to someone else.

Another reason to spay and neuter is that it's harder finding financial support or getting donations if you don't. I know I'd never donate to anyone who placed unaltered animals, whether they do other good things or not. There are too many others in equal need who alter. That's where my money goes.

PS The rescue I'm with was broke and in deep debt for years. They still spayed and neutered because they it's just something you have to do. The people who run the rescue ruined their credit over it. Welcome to rescue...

Last edited by doggirl; June 19th, 2005 at 01:35 AM.
Old June 19th, 2005, 01:49 AM

Quote:

RESCUER : finds/takes in a stray and tries to find a home but b4 adopting one would like to try and have that pet sterilized (because isnt that's the difference between rescue/rescuers and ignorant pet owners) and maybe needs help from known RESCUE's (no I didnt say rescue's have alot of financial means) I mean they have more resources, donations and/or possibly can absorb cost until adoption fees can be acquired) or even better some rescue's have worked out deals with vets.
What "more resources" does a "rescue" have? What makes you think rescues get donations, and that the reason they have whatever resources they have is because on top of rescuing they are also spending time fundraising? How does a "rescue" (which is basically one or more "rescuers") "absorb" costs? How do you think the "rescues" worked out their deals with vets, and what would stand in the way of a "rescuer" doing the same thing? You have some major misunderstandings of how most rescues work.

Legitimate, non-profit reputable grassroots rescues are probably THE most broke and underresourced of anyone in the shelter/rescue spectrum. What little resources that a "rescue" has have ALL come at a cost. Coming up with the funds to properly vet animals before placement is difficult for everyone. Some people do it and some don't. We all make our own choices in rescue and have our own priorities.
Old June 19th, 2005, 08:14 AM
Senior Contributor

I just ran into some women at Canadian Tire - several cats each, instant communication - who told me about a really inexpensive vet clinic on the South Shore. I think it's on Taschereau Boulevard. The number is 450-465-6511. Hope this helps!
Old June 20th, 2005, 10:04 AM

I have a problem with getting dogs neutered at the cheapest possible place. Most expensive doesn't mean best, but cheapest? I'm sorry, but I don't think that a cheap vet will do a great job. Vanier is a learning hospital, that's fine, but vets in private practice who are the cheapest around tend to only be cheap because that's the only way they get people to continue to walk through the door.

And this:
Quote:
This wasn't me... I know I post a lot, but I don't post EVERYTHING that people remember reading.
Old June 20th, 2005, 10:54 AM
Senior Contributor

Prin, I know this vet on Tashreau...he's part of the Bond Fondation that is why he does "cheap" spaying and neutering. To get a reduced spaying and neutering, you must call the Bond Fondation and get an appoitment.
Old June 20th, 2005, 12:01 PM
Senior Contributor

the clinique on taschereau blvd is my regular vet.

Dr Allen runs a wonderful clinic, the #450-465-6511 Badger gave was correct.
He's also a teaching clinic associated with the Univeriste of Montreal/St Hyacinthe school of veterinary medicine
He is also part of the Fauna(sp?) fondation who takes care of the HIV+ chimps that have no where to go once their lives have served in experimental purposes.
He takes most of this chimps to his HOME!!!

The clinic is not run cheaply, the pets are treated well, so if you don't know for sure, please don't take a "you-get-what-you-pay-for" attitude with this one.

The vets and the staff are wonderful, "in it for the animals" kind of people.
They have gone above and beyond for me several times, including one New Years EVe.....

I can't say enough good things about them.

Last edited by twinmommy; June 20th, 2005 at 12:05 PM.
Old June 20th, 2005, 02:01 PM
Senior Contributor

If you want Bond Foundation rates, all you do is call Gisèle at 514-765-3193 and she will send you a certificate by mail or, even better, fax it directly to the vet's office. Easy. You can also ask for multiple certificates. They'll ask you about the animal, more a little chat, but as far as I know nobody gets turned down.
Old June 20th, 2005, 11:06 PM

Reread the threads before you start ranting....

Doggirl, I haven't been on here in ages, but just saw your post in reply to mine. What don't you learn to understand what you read before you start acting like an $(*&"!)/*$?%/! I NEVER let an animal go to a home UNSTERILIZED..... I was just saying I can't afford to pay stupid prices.... I am not an amateur, but I wish I had $100's to spend on all kind of care, which I don't. BUT STERILIZATION IS NOT AN OPTION. Don't judge before you learn to read, and before you know who you're dealing with.

I'm not coming back on this bulletin site guys, sorry.... Can't hack it.

And by the way, to all who care I GOT MY CHIHUAHUA!!

Good luck to all the rescuers out there, take it as you wish, it's not going to stop me from doing what I do best, truly rescue and worry about pets, not people.
Old June 24th, 2005, 12:18 PM

Where did I say YOU didn't spay/neuter?

If you're placing 30 dogs a year you're not exactly low-volume, esp a private person. "Rescues" have nothing over you, really - do some legwork and you should find a vet who will give you rescue rates.

I was really replying more to PamperedPet's comments since she seems to think rescues have some sort of pots of gold, and she doesn't seem to realize that rescues are usually just "rescuers".
Old June 24th, 2005, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengirls
I seem to remember a thread Prin where u used the phrase "clique-ish or kinda snooty" when u were talking about your dog park few weeks back

I think someone was just quoting 3 of ur words and not the whole thread ...
Here's the thread, and it wasn't me in any context. http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread....ghlight=snooty

poodletalk, I didn't realize everybody was talking about getting a rescue discount. I thought you were all just looking for a cheap vet. I don't have any issue if the vet gives you a discount, but a vet who regularly charges much less than everybody else makes me suspicious.