Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Movies - T.V. - Videos

Old April 30th, 2005, 04:16 PM
Kitty Consort

Movies to Avoid?

How about the "stinkers"? Movies that you found just "really" bad, and not worth sitting through?
Course this is strictly subjective - all a matter of taste, but some films are just bombs ..period.

For recent movies, I have to say "The Village".. was just THE dumbest film I've seen in a long time.The dialogue sounded like they were reading it straight from cue cards, and the storyline made NO sense - kind of unintentionally comedic.A definite thumbs down for me.
Old April 30th, 2005, 06:57 PM
Senior Contributor

The house of sand and fog.

Not because it wasn’t well performed it was. It was the most depressing movie I have ever seen. There were no winners just losers in this film.

It literally bought me down for at least two days...two days- I couldn’t believe it.
Old April 30th, 2005, 07:39 PM

Avoid watching I :love: the Huckabees

It is a terrible terrible movie. I went to a prescreening of this movie and half the audience walked out!!!
Old April 30th, 2005, 07:44 PM
<-----nut ball

personally I liked the village. way better than...what was that other one with the aliens by the same guy?

Hmmm

Sky captain and the world of tomorrow was kinda lame
Old April 30th, 2005, 08:48 PM
Senior Contributor

yeah ditto I liked The Village also, and I think the other movie he made was "Signs".

One movie that I thought was kinda dumb was "SuperSize Me"....the Macdonald's thing. I was kind of wondering what the whole point was.. you eat junk for 30 days...your body becomes a digestive disaster...AND??? What did you think was going to happen? I don't know, maybe I missed something....??
Old April 30th, 2005, 08:59 PM

I agree twinmommy. Supersize Me is really dumb. What's dumber though are the people who don't recognize the dilusioned perspective of the guy....
Old April 30th, 2005, 09:07 PM
Senior Contributor

I agree. And the idea to "sue, sue, sue!" is tiresome as well. At some point, one has to be held accountable for what he/she does. We have smokers trying to sue tobacco companies, drunks suing the bars that served them, and now the obese suing the restaurants they ate at!!!

WTF??
Old April 30th, 2005, 09:14 PM
<-----nut ball

I thought supersize me was neat. It was a documentary though...so what do you expect. Kinda like farenheit 911 and such. The guy did it to show how bad this food is (I know a lot of people who used to eat McD's daily and now they don't)
Old April 30th, 2005, 09:19 PM
Senior Contributor

There was a schoolteacher in Edmonton a few months ago who gained North America-wide attention when he did the same diet as the guy in "SuperSize Me" except the teacher also included his normal exercise program.

The teacher ended up, I think, with lower cholesterol than when he started.

It would also be easy to point out that you could actually buy salads at McDonalds before that movie was made.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca
Old April 30th, 2005, 09:24 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
It would also be easy to point out that you could actually buy salads at McDonalds before that movie was made
good point.

Also, I believe there is more fat in a Krispy Kreme donut than a Big Mac...

but it's not like any of them ever claimed to be "health food"!!!

I think--If you jump in the puddles, so to speak, don't complain you got wet!!
Old April 30th, 2005, 09:37 PM
<-----nut ball

Quote:
If you jump in the puddles, so to speak, don't complain you got wet!!
Unfortunately, while we know that, a lot of people don't. Some people are just plain ignorant and don't know what the food does to them. Sometimes they need to rent that movie that has the funny cover of a guy who has fries stuffed in his mouth to understand what they are doing to themselves.

Krispy cream donuts have 12 g fat, a bigmac has 28 g.

Eating a big mac is like having 6 krispy creams.

Besides, who orders a salad from Mcdonalds?
Old April 30th, 2005, 10:03 PM
Senior Contributor

I know what your saying, but I can hardly stomach people who claim that they really didn't think it was bad for them. Are we really going to claim ignorance for EVERYTHING that should be consumed in moderation?

There is no warnings on vodka bottles either, can I sue Absolut if I become an alchoholic?

At some point, you have to own up to your actions.

And the comparison for the Big Mac was regarding saturated fat (the really bad one ) the Big Mac has 11 g, the donut 12.
Old May 1st, 2005, 07:55 AM

Rick C--you're right. 20/20 did a full episode on Supersize me and interviewed people who ate all of their meals at McDonalds while maintaining their regular routines, which either did or did not include exercising.

The individuals on the show lost anywhere from 5-10 pounds by choosing healthy options. They had just an egg sandwhich for breakfast, a salada for lunch and a salad and something for dinner.

Like Supersize Me and ANY Michael Moore film they are NOT documentaries but rather their own personal crusades to bash something they don't like. They are not entirely factual, they are taken out of context and they fail to show the other side--like these individuals who choose to eat NORMAL meals at McDicks.
Old May 24th, 2005, 05:58 PM

If Two By Sea and Before Sunset are by far the two worst movies I have ever seen!
Old May 24th, 2005, 06:27 PM
banned user

I liked the Village too. I was totally not expecting what happened in the end and I think that's what did it for me, it was different.

I don't know how old this movie is, but I hated The Royal Tenenbaums, I actually turned it off and I never do that.
Old May 24th, 2005, 10:16 PM

Maybe no one will agree, but I say the worst movie ever was Pulp Fiction. And lately, my worst I've seen is Liminy Snicket's a series of unfortunate events.
Old May 25th, 2005, 06:20 PM
Kitty Consort

Totally agree,Prin!
I found both of these highly-acclaimed films among THE worst I've ever sat through..
Old May 25th, 2005, 07:09 PM
Senior Contributor

My own Rotten Tomato award goes to one of the lousiest films ever made - Eyes Wide Shut. Ewwwwwwwwww!
Old May 25th, 2005, 07:42 PM
Personal servant to Joey

Anchorman with Will Farrell he wasn't even funny just stupid glad I just rented the video I probably would have walked out of the theatre.
Old May 25th, 2005, 08:17 PM
IHeart Marty&Minou's Paws

A.I.

Without a doubt!
Old May 25th, 2005, 08:25 PM

Worst movie I ever saw, without a doubt: Druids with Christopher Lambert (it was known as Vercingetorix in French). No movie came even remotely close to that. Everything was bad: the scenario, the acting, the directing... Some friends didn't believe me so they rented it and now blame me for the 2 hours of their lives they'll never get back! It's not even bad-funny, it's just terrible!

Among the recent flicks: Saw was pretty bad too.

Lyne
Old May 25th, 2005, 09:02 PM
Senior Contributor

recent bad flick? Kung Fu Hustle!!

ugh and double ugh!!! hubby picked, what do you expect?
Old July 30th, 2005, 09:46 AM
Senior Contributor

Wish I had read this before I rented it,it was horrible!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzie
Avoid watching I :love: the Huckabees

It is a terrible terrible movie. I went to a prescreening of this movie and half the audience walked out!!!
Old August 5th, 2005, 12:18 PM
banned user

Mr. & Mrs. Smith. I knew this movie was going to suck before going in, but 1. it was a company outing, so free of charge, 2. I was hoping to see Brad Pitt's rearend like he did in Trojan. AND no butt!
Old August 5th, 2005, 01:08 PM
Senior Contributor

You're better off renting Thelma and Louise, for that scene in the motel. Pitt doesn't usually do it for me but I love that scene, he is so sweet and devious, not to mention his pecs.

I saw Signs on TV, which put me to sleep. Mel Gibson - sorry, fans - joue comme un pied (translation: can't act) - he should stick to directing. I think it's directed by the same guy who made the Village. I'm beginning to recognize his trademark use of colour, very effective - but if I saw one more close-up of Gibson with that vacant look which is supposed to communicate...what?....zzzzzzz
Old August 8th, 2005, 11:54 AM

Add to the really BAD list...... Sideways ....... It WAS HORRIBLE!!! And to add insult to injury....I rented I :love: the Huckebees
However, last night we watched Jim Carrey's latest "A series of Unfortunate events".. very quirky and the cinemaphotography was very interesting.
and Dusty, being as good as his DNA will allow
oh...and the cats, Rex & Lucky
"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I'll try again tomorrow.'
Old August 8th, 2005, 12:17 PM
owned by Tucker

Hey Dude where's my car, my son wanted to watch it I seen half of it and turned it off, it was crappy
Old August 8th, 2005, 01:21 PM

The only good part about Dude where's my car is when he's ordering chinese food and he flips out. My man and I still say "And then?" when we're talking on the phone and there's nothing left to say.
Old August 8th, 2005, 03:31 PM
Hazel's Personal Servant

The ones I think were the worst: Definitely Pulp Fiction; any Ace Ventura ; The 25th Hour; That movie by Rob Zombie - 1000 Corpses or something.

I really liked A.I. - I went through half a box of kleenex! Also liked Saw - thought the special effects were great and the storyline wasn't half bad. The Village wasn't half as scary as they advertised it to be but the twist at the end was pretty good!
Old August 8th, 2005, 03:34 PM

Everything with Rob Schneider as a main character. Geez, he's creepy.