Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Movies - T.V. - Videos

Old April 30th, 2005, 08:30 AM
Senior Contributor

Some favourite older movie titles

Contemporary movies aren't the only ones out there to rent.

Some of my favourite titles:

"In The Heat Of The Night" - no, not the TV series but the pretty well perfect 1967 flick with Sydney Poiter and Rod Steiger as well as a host of others you'll recognize. It was the Oscar winner for best picture in 1967 and is a murder mystery set amidst the racism of the deep south. If nothing else, a wonderful time capsule but a first rate mystery as well.

"12 Angry Men" - A black and white from 1957 with Henry Fonda. A dissenting juror in a murder trial slowly manages to convince the others that the case is not as obviously clear as it seemed in court. The movie takes place virtually entirely in one room but is a gripping examination of how a jury should work. A fairly short film, less than 1.5 hours.

"The Searchers" - 1956 John Ford western with John Wayne as the racist, anti-hero, about the only time he would play such a role. A young child is abducted by natives from a ranch and through the years Wayne and his sidekick search for her . . . . but you don't know if Wayne is going to kill her because she's been "tainted" or rescue her. Natalie Wood grows up to be the young Debbie while, if you're a real fanatic, you'll recognize Jeffrey Archer, Wayne's sidekick, as the captain of the starship Enterprise in the original pilot of Star Trek. Great movie, an epic that's about 2.5 hours long, and one of the best western movies ever made.

"Dr. Zhivago" - I watch this every few years, a great, sweeping epic love story. I think some of the Varykino summer scenes were filmed here in southern Alberta.

"Easy Rider" - actually a terrible movie if you want to know the truth but if you want to see a time capsule for the 1960's, this is it. That's what makes it fun to watch - two drug dealers setting out to discover America. The hippies loved it. The establishment hated it. Peter Fonda and Dennis Hopper and the cameo that launched a career for Jack Nicholson. Great soundtrack!!

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca
Old April 30th, 2005, 09:55 AM
<-----nut ball

I'm an older movie junkie. I like the "classics" (things I saw when I was younger mostly)

I love "Pump up the Volumn". Classic teen aged angst movie.
Old April 30th, 2005, 11:03 AM
Senior Contributor

Of course, any self-respecting college student from the 1970's can quote verbatim any line from "Blazing Saddles," "In Search of The Holy Grail" and "Rocky Horror Picture Show."

Maybe "Star Wars" too!!

Another obscure but hilarious movie is "Young Doctors in Love." If you were addicted to tv soap operas like General Hospital in the early 1980's you'll recognize a lot of people in this pretty funny parody. Language warning though. You'll also be surprised to see how many actors who later became stars show up in this movie as early unknowns.

And "Stripes," with Bill Murray and a talented ensemble, from about 1982, is hilarious.

A more serious movie from the late 40's, early 1950's is "12 O'Clock High" with Gregory Peck. . . . really well done for a period war movie.

Don't get me going . . . .

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca
Old April 30th, 2005, 11:21 AM
Senior Contributor

I like Gone with the Wind and Little Women....
Old April 30th, 2005, 11:36 AM

Anything with the Young Paul Newman... rerrrerr
Old April 30th, 2005, 02:38 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prin
Anything with the Young Paul Newman... rerrrerr
Some Newman movie recommendations:

"Cat On A Hot Tin Roof" with Newman and Elizabeth Taylor is a sizzling movie . . . although a slow, southern tale from 1958 with Newman as a bitter young man, a wife abuser bent on destroying his marriage while having a life of privilege under the thumb of "Big Daddy," his domineering father, Burl Ives.

"Cool Hand Luke" from 1967, like "In The Heat Of The Night" I mentioned above, is like a time capsule, Newman as a convict on the chain gang.

"The Long Hot Summer," also from 1958 with his future wife Joanne Woodward, is a great movie, Newman as a vagabond young man with a bad reputation rolling into town and tangling with Orson Welles, playing the local big shot, over the hand of his daughter.

My three favourite Newman movies. . . . . oh, and "Slapshot" of course.

All of the above show up on satellite tv at some point in a year if you're watching for them.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca
Old April 30th, 2005, 03:25 PM
IHeart Marty&Minou's Paws

I love all those musicals. . . .

An American in Paris
Carousel
The Red Shoes
Cabaret

and anything with Audrey Hepburn. . . . . I can watch 'Breakfast at Tiffany's' over and over again!
Old April 30th, 2005, 03:26 PM

Hey Rick-- what's the one called where he's a pool shark?
Old April 30th, 2005, 03:39 PM
Senior Contributor

Doctor Zhivago I've seen several times and one not so old movie"Dances with Wolves"with Kevin Costner,I swear I've seen it 10 times...
One actor I never learned to like was John Wayne,sorry,but I always thought he was the worst actor I've ever seen,I know he was an American icon...
I also liked all the James Dean movies,only remember"Rebel without a cause"for the moment......
Also "The Last Mowhican"(sp?)with Daniel Day Lewis..love that man!!
"American Gigolo" with yummy Richard Gere...
Old April 30th, 2005, 04:07 PM
Kitty Consort

Oh, Paul Newman movies - now we're talking!
So many are really classics. Great looking and a great actor
Prin, the one about the pool shark is "The Hustler"... a great film too.

Great thread, Rick! Lots of times, I am looking for an older film to rent.. but just cant "think" of a good choice amongst so many others.

A favourite old movie of mine - "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid" was just on tv...thoroughly enjoyed it all over again.

Some others that for me never get "old"

-A Fish Called Wanda. A great cast...lots of giggles.

-Planes, Trains and Automobiles. Touching and amusing, the late John Candy in on of his better roles.

-Starman. Maybe a bit hokey, but I just have always loved this film.
Old April 30th, 2005, 04:31 PM
Senior Contributor

I am admittedly not that much of a movie buff. Since I've learned how to dl movies, I swear I have watched more movies in a few yrs than the earlier yrs of my life put together.

That said, I just have to look at the small number of movies I actually own on DVD or VHS to know which ones stand out for me: Love Story, Hayley Mills in The Trouble with Angels (Disney comedy but it is a personal nostagic thing), the more recent You've Got Mail. I have part of Billy Jack downloaded - that is one I want to see again. I also own a documentary (narrated by the Rankin Sisters of Cape Breton) about Celtic music.

I too like Paul Newman but of all his movies, I like an under rated one entitled Absence of Malace - starring Sally Fields as an investigative reporter. I also like Robert Redford and like Reds, wish it was not so long tho! Another classic I find inspiring is the one based on Harper Lee's To Kill a Mickingbird - I do think ppl should read the book first but it is a compelling plot.
Old April 30th, 2005, 08:02 PM
Senior Contributor

Me too!Totally different,but I also really like American Werewolf in London.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamrock
-Starman. Maybe a bit hokey, but I just have always loved this film.
Old April 30th, 2005, 08:19 PM
<-----nut ball

Paul Newman was an actor?? I've never seen anything he was in..all I knew is he has a line of food!

I love Dances with Wolves. I've seen it a hundred times. I also love Robin Hood Prince of theives!

Fish called wanda is good, did you see the sequel though called "Fierce Creatures"?? It's not exactly a sequel as the people wouldn't do one, but all the same actors agreed to do another film with the same style of humour. Quite funny!! I like John clease.

Remember: Goonies? Dirty Dancing? Breakfast club? 16 candles? Weird Science? Pretty in Pink? Ferris Beullers day off? Say Anything? Fast times at ridgemont high? Adventures in Babysitting? Flight of the navigator? Back to the Future (1, 2, and 3)? Stand by Me? Never ending story? The lost boys? Indiana Jones (1, 2, and 3).

BTW-for all those girls who loved Corey Haim in the 80's, his sister works at the ROM in Toronto!
Old April 30th, 2005, 08:25 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

The great outdoors, With john Candy, it was so funny I loved it!

Police academy,

Gremlins !

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~

Last edited by happycats; April 30th, 2005 at 08:27 PM.
Old April 30th, 2005, 08:26 PM
Senior Contributor

OMG does that ever make me feel old.
Quote:
Originally Posted by raingirl
Paul Newman was an actor?? I've never seen anything he was in..all I knew is he has a line of food!