Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old April 26th, 2005, 09:47 AM

Wet Food vrs Hard Food

Every morning i give Blaze a small amount of wet food (a small can) he has dry food out all day long which he eats to. Lately alot of people have been telling me feeding him wet food once everyday is bad for him and his teeth. What do you guys think and what do you feed your cats? I thought male cats need wet food to help fight off UTI but I could be wrong! Any input would be great...
Old April 26th, 2005, 09:54 AM

To be honest, wet food is probably better for animals, especially male cats who are prone to getting crystals in the UT. Wet food contains more water than dry, so the cats (and dogs too) don't have to drink as much water as they normally would.

There is absolutely no difference, as far as food quality (better or worse for teeth) between wet and dry food. Kibble is so brittle that as soon as the animal bites it, it breaks apart. Not much resistence for teeth cleaning. Unless the animal eats raw bones (dog only), then brushing is in order.

Put your mind to rest. Wet, dry, it doesn't really matter for teeth.

According to the Humane Society of the United States:
There are an estimated 3-4 million dogs and cats euthanized each year in the US alone! PLEASE - spay and/or neuter your pets!
Old April 26th, 2005, 10:00 AM

Thanks for the reply...a girl i work with was giving me these horror stories of wet cat food...things like teeth falling out and the cat becoming diabitic(sp) and having to have shoots twice a day! Blaze loves his wet food and is so excited in the morning when he gets it...
Old April 26th, 2005, 10:00 AM

We feed our Boyz wet food twice a day and they have free access to dry food all day.
We also give them at least once a day (usually twice )some 'tartar' control treats that are really crunchy and the love them
Old April 26th, 2005, 10:10 AM

I give Blaze tarter treats to and he loves them...do you guys brush your cats teeth?
Old April 26th, 2005, 10:35 AM

Recent studies say that dry food has no additional benefit as far as teeth are concerned. If your friend's cat was diabetic, most likely it was genetic and you can't get genes from any kind of food.
Old April 26th, 2005, 10:37 AM

I have a hard enough time getting them to stay still for a nail clipping I don't think a teeth-brushing session would go over very well
Old April 26th, 2005, 11:50 AM

yeah that is what most people say...i have tried to brush his teeth and he looked at me like "what the heck are you doing?" he seemed to think we were playing a game...i just want Blaze to be happy and to have a full set of teeth!
Old April 26th, 2005, 12:02 PM
Agility Addict

My cats 3 years old and she only gets dry food - mainly because she only eats the gravy from wet food. Anyway, I have never really stuck to a tooth brushing regime but I really need to start. When I last looked at her teeth, her gum were a little red and she's alays had pretty bad breath. She'll let me do her canines but as soon as I try to get further she starts to fight. She hates and kind of cat treats or food that supposedly helps keep tartar away. So it's not going to be fun but I'm gonna have to "force" her to have her teeth brushed (if that's possible!!).

I don't think that feeding wet food is a bad thing.

And why can't cats eat raw bones? I've heard of some doing that! Is it bad for them?

Melissa
Old April 26th, 2005, 12:09 PM

I have never in my life heard of cats eating bones...but i havent had alot of experience with cats either...
Old April 26th, 2005, 12:30 PM
banned user

We fed Mya, one can of cat food, (small like fancy feast) mixed with around a half cup of dry every night at 6.30 and she had a bowl of dry food to graze on. we also gave her tartar control treats every day. cali on the other hand is not on wet food as prescribed by her vet. although she does drink a lot of water. I find that they like wet food way more too. As for teeth cleaning LOL trying to clean Mya's teath LMFAO ROFL yeah right!!! and cali ive not broached that yet as we are still trying to win her trust.
Old April 26th, 2005, 12:41 PM
Senior Contributor

The condition of a cat's teeth depend on heredity and care, NOT on the type of food. There is no evidence whatsoever that dry food is better for cats' teeth.

I believe wet food is better for carnivorous cats. All my cats in the past ate nothing but canned food and not one ever had a urinary problem or was overweight.

Quote:
And why can't cats eat raw bones? I've heard of some doing that! Is it bad for them?
You can give your cat a raw, fresh chicken wing. This is very good for the teeth!
Old April 26th, 2005, 01:12 PM

Thats such a relief like i said before i have never had a cat before and i really didnt know what was better. Blaze loves his wet food and i would hate having to take it away from him in the morning. He gets so excited when i walk into the kitchen in the mornings and goes diving for his food bowl after i put it out.
Old April 26th, 2005, 03:12 PM

Small bones would be ok, such as chicken bones like LR suggested. Do not ever give frozen bones to a cat though. Teeth are more apt to break on frozen bones than fresh.

Be careful of too large a bone though. Again, the teeth are fairly fragile on cats, compared to dogs, and you don't want them to break. Otherwise, why not a chicken bone? Very similar in make-up to a song-bird bone.

According to the Humane Society of the United States:
There are an estimated 3-4 million dogs and cats euthanized each year in the US alone! PLEASE - spay and/or neuter your pets!
Old April 26th, 2005, 03:29 PM

i am going to have to try the chicken bone thing...
Old April 26th, 2005, 10:44 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita
We feed our Boyz wet food twice a day and they have free access to dry food all day.
We also give them at least once a day (usually twice )some 'tartar' control treats that are really crunchy and the love them
This is exactly what we do also..I give them the Techni-Cal treats.
Old April 26th, 2005, 11:21 PM
Senior Contributor

I too am in the wet food camp. No matter how good dry is, I still call it junk food - I have it out all the time and YY (and now the Sphynx) have access to it all the time - they eat and prefer their wet food much better. They well deign to eat the dry sometimes but the wet food is the most important nutrutionally.

I suspect dry food came about as a conveniece to cat's humans - it does nothing extra for a kitty so that is the only use I can think of it possessing. Some claim it prevents tartar buildup but my vet says this is nonsense and I tend to agree with her. Good dry food does often have nutrients so I think it depnds more on the health and age and needs of your cat.

Dry food is also low in water content and cats (except for Louie referred to tday) tend not to drink enuf water and need the mositure and fluid they get in wet food.

One trick I learned a long time ago is never to feed cats wet food directly from the fridge. Add a little hot water and mix it in - cats love it!

The most important thing I think is the brand of the food - Wellness and Hills Science and others like those brands are far better than some of the brands you see at a grocery store. Read the nutrients on the food -as you do for yourself. NEVER feed tyhe store brand, ugghhhh!!
Old April 27th, 2005, 09:33 AM

I feed Blaze both Science Diet wet and Dry food and alot of people dont really like it but Blazes coat is so smooth and shiney and soft compared to when i first adopted him that I wont fed him anything else...