Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old April 23rd, 2005, 10:27 AM
Senior Contributor

Yes raingirl,these ingredients do pertain to those prone to Bloat.

In the link I posted about Bloat,those are the four things they had mentioned to stay away from.They did say that if you must use a food that does contain citric acid, do NOT moisten the food.

If feeding dry foods, avoid foods that contain citric acid
If you must use a dry food containing citric acid, do not pre-moisten the food

Avoid brewer's yeast, alfalfa, and soybean products
Old April 23rd, 2005, 11:58 AM
banned user

THANK YOU for posting that, Mona! I had no idea!
Old April 23rd, 2005, 12:20 PM
Senior Contributor

You are VERY Welcome Cactus.

As I have stated before,I have done everything I can to prevent this from happening to my dogs.As GSD's and Great Danes are the top 2 breeds prone to it more.It does list all othe deep chested breeds that are also at risk.

The link I posted had some VERY good info on it.It also states what can cause it alon with how to prevnt it.
Old April 23rd, 2005, 12:21 PM

Here is a pic of my boy

A pic of Moto, we will post some in the Photo Gallery If I can figure it out.
Attached Images

Old April 23rd, 2005, 12:27 PM
Senior Contributor

OMG.....He is simply GORGEOUS...So very regal looking.
Old April 23rd, 2005, 12:31 PM
banned user

WOW what a gorgeous dog! He looks nearly identical to the dane I got for my best friend- and his name is Mojo! Strange similarities there.

Thank you for posting the pic! And yes, more more more!
Old April 23rd, 2005, 05:45 PM
Senior Contributor

What a good looking boy!!!! I'm so glad he is ok
Old April 23rd, 2005, 07:45 PM

I believe yeast is bad because as yeast is alive, it consumes glucose and releases gasses, which are the cause of bloat. Citric acid also causes gas to form.

What a cute puppy!! I love his color. (Look how deep his chest is- even though he is young)
Old April 24th, 2005, 07:14 PM
owned by Tucker

When Travis bloated the first signs that we noticed were he started gagging and trying to throw up, only foam came up though, also his anal glands let go( what a stink) and this had never happened before. We pulled over (as we were driving along in our truck at the time)tried to give him some water and he wouldn't take it. Then we noticed that it looked like he had swallowed a beach ball, he was shaped like a GSD with the thin sides and deep chest. We also noticed he tried to lay in a spinx position which was unusual for him he always leaned to one side. I don't remember him ever whining, but he was a tough dog, even when he had the bone cancer he never made a fuss and would still get up to come to meet you at the door when you came home. I still miss the big pooch.
Prin yes it is easier to fix if the dog has not twisted yet, Travis had a tube up the back end and they passed a gallon of warm water into his stomach and released the gas that way. But he still had to have surgery to anchor his stomach to his abdoman wall, as once a dog has had bloat it is highly likely that it will happen again. They can still get bloat after this but they can't twist which is the most dangerous and kills them faster as it cuts off the blood supply to their stomach, ect and the spleen gets involved it is a horrible way to die. But even after the surgery if they bloat it is an medical emergency and they have to be taken to the vets right away.

Last edited by doggy lover; April 24th, 2005 at 07:42 PM.
Old April 24th, 2005, 08:39 PM
banned user

Thanks, DoggyLover. I winced as I was reading, but it was valuable information.
Old April 25th, 2005, 01:18 PM

I'm really glad to here your Dane made it. I have a 9 month old that had the gastropexy operation at the same time of being spayed. There is always a small percentage that she can get bloat, but we also follow all the routines, elevated dishes etc. I have to recommend "Eagle Pack" for Danes. It's got the perfect levels of fat and protein, especially since they grow into the size of a small person in one year. But talk to your vet, I'm sure they have some good advice for food.
Old April 25th, 2005, 05:42 PM
Hazel's Personal Servant

Great Photo

Great photo of Mojo - such a good looking dog! I love Great Danes!! Had one named Dudley Dooright when I was a kid. I'm glad he's doing better!
Old April 25th, 2005, 09:20 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragauckas
but we also follow all the routines, elevated dishes etc
NO,do NOT elevate the dish..This is a big no no.

If you want to follow all the routines,then I suggest you read up on the link I posted.
Old April 25th, 2005, 10:56 PM
banned user

It's a big YES YES over here

Been recommended more times than I can count.
Old April 25th, 2005, 11:03 PM

I've had it been recommened to many times as well. I even had a lady stop her car while I was walking and ask me if i have "one of those bowls thats not on the ground" LOL
Old April 25th, 2005, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragauckas
I'm really glad to here your Dane made it. I have a 9 month old that had the gastropexy operation at the same time of being spayed. There is always a small percentage that she can get bloat, but we also follow all the routines, elevated dishes etc. I have to recommend "Eagle Pack" for Danes. It's got the perfect levels of fat and protein, especially since they grow into the size of a small person in one year. But talk to your vet, I'm sure they have some good advice for food.
Just out of curiosity, if you don't mind, how much did the op cost in all?
Old April 27th, 2005, 01:05 PM

Hi all, Moto and I have been off visiting grandparents. He just loves grandpa and he had to show him his new toys and his scar. What a big baby. He loves all that attention.

We were always told to keep his food dish elevated. So that's what we do.

The cost of his surgery was $2100. And the extended care at the vet Hospital was $1500.00. A lot of money but because he is only a year and a half old, I just couldn't bring myself to do anything else but have the surgery. Of course we were lucky enough to have gotten him to vet in time.

He is glad to be home with all his stuff and he seems to be feeling so much better. Now with all that play time with grandpa over, he is in my bed sleeping.
Old April 27th, 2005, 01:18 PM

The operation costs around $375. It was done the same time we had her spayed. As far as the elevated dishes, I was told from both of my vets, and have read it in all of my great dane breeder books. I know that there are conflicting ideas with respect to raised dishes, I think the most important thing is to always be aware of the condition since it is so prevalent in Danes.
Old April 27th, 2005, 01:27 PM

I'm so glad that Moto is doing well. Thanks for keeping us updated.
Old April 27th, 2005, 06:55 PM
owned by Tucker

I believe it cost us over $1600 for Travis and that was 5 years ago, but that is with his emergency vet visit and the surgery by our own vet a couple of days later. It is a very scary and serious situation that no one should put off, I was told by the emergency vet that he would have never made it through the night and this happened in the evening. Alot of vets I have spoken to through the years said that they don't deal with dogs like that, they send them to Guelph Ont. A long way for a dog in such condition to go, normally they don't make it.
Old February 4th, 2008, 09:08 PM

i know this post is old but for your information...i have a german shepherd and they are known to bloat and i read on them that not to give them water right after they ate...let the dog wait so they dont bloat..especially dry food
Old February 5th, 2008, 02:43 PM
owned by Tucker

http://www.globalspan.net/bloat.htm#...reatest%20Risk
Try looking into this website there are a few out there with info on bloat, one vet told me you could try and prevent it many ways but sometimes it just happens. Our dog bloated on the way home from the cottage, without food or water? Who knows why?