Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Suggestions & Improvements

Old April 21st, 2005, 02:46 PM

wondering......

I was wondering if something could be done to notify new members that there is a Private Messages feature on this site. I realize that they may be aware when they first apply for membership but I have pm'd some new members who, after several weeks, have gotten back to me saying that they weren't aware until that day, that there was a Private Messaging feature on this site. Notification of a message is contained in a small area on the upper right of the screen and new members may not be aware that there is a pm in their Inbox being possibly distracted by the much more prominent displays. Some sites have a pop-up feature that is displayed in the centre of the screen the moment the member logs on. Would that be helpful to new members on this site?
Old April 21st, 2005, 03:17 PM
Senior Contributor

When I get a PM there is a box that pops up on my screen that says I have a new PM than I can choice to look at it than or wait till later. Not sure if this helps but that is how I know that I have one.

Proud mommy to...
Meat Loaf (Brittany Spaniel) 13 months
CryBaby (5 years old)living with grandpa now
Chino (Doberman mix) 7 months old
2 new kittens (8 weeks old) Felix and Gizmo
Old April 21st, 2005, 03:19 PM

The user is allowed to choose if they want to receive notification of new messages. Some people do not want to be bothered by messages, so the option would be turned off for them.

Under the "Private Messages" section of the User CP/Options section:

This forum features a private messaging system, which allows members to send messages to one another privately.

If you do not want to send or receive private messages, you may disable the private messaging system.

The forum can send a message to your email address to inform you when someone sends you a private message.

If you are browsing the forums when you receive a new private message, the system can pop-up a notification box informing you of the new message.

If the user chooses not to check off any of the options in this section, then they will not know if they have a message or not.

Personally, I think if the member doesn't want to accept new messages, they shouldn't be forced to.

(moved to more appropriate forum)

According to the Humane Society of the United States:
There are an estimated 3-4 million dogs and cats euthanized each year in the US alone! PLEASE - spay and/or neuter your pets!
Old April 26th, 2005, 03:21 PM
4ever luv 4 life!!!

you know what, after reading this, i checked on my options at the user CP? i checked the box where it says pop up window for private messages, but still don't get a wondow popping up when someone PM's me.....lol.. ....
Old April 26th, 2005, 03:23 PM
banned user

Mine is checked too, and I don't get a message popping up either, but I have a pop up blocker, so I'm guessing that's why.