Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old April 21st, 2005, 12:26 AM

Lightbulb If there is one thing I have learned here...

I just had to say that if there is ONE thing I ever take away from this website, it's that dogs should never be left outside unattended. How many threads are about dogs running away, jumping over fences, escaping, being at risk of eating poison, being fed by neighbors?

I never leave my babies unattended but then again I don't have a yard. Even if I did, my babies woudn't be alone anyway. It's not as fun for the dog when they're out there alone.

Maybe you all have full-time lives, but I would much rather my doggy be inside bored than outside alone "at risk". Normally, people don't leave young kids out there alone, so if, theoretically, a dog has a mental capacity of a 2 year old, why should he be any safer?

If your dog runs away while you're out there with him... That's another story.

It has just been a pattern here and I just wanted to notice it out loud. This website is so informative about so many things, but this one has been nagging at me...

(I guess this should have been in the rant forum...)

Last edited by Prin; April 21st, 2005 at 02:03 AM.
Old April 21st, 2005, 09:44 AM
Senior Contributor

We leave Daisy outside on nice days. We have a good relationship with neighbours on both sides, and we have 5 1/2 foot fence all around our yard. If we didn't know our neighbour's, or if the road was close to any of the fences, I might be more concerned, but especially with our current work schedules, she's happier outside and we feel safe leaving her out there. She has shelter and water. I do understand what you are saying, but I think it also depends on your own personal situation.
Old April 21st, 2005, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prin
(I guess this should have been in the rant forum...)
Ok, I'll move it there.

Poof!

According to the Humane Society of the United States:
There are an estimated 3-4 million dogs and cats euthanized each year in the US alone! PLEASE - spay and/or neuter your pets!
Old April 21st, 2005, 10:10 AM
Senior Contributor

I think that if you actually have kids and a busier life, you rely on a fenced in yard. If your fence fails you for some reason, it's usually a "one time" thing--(unlike US ) and you remedy the prob and continue on.

The benefit of being outside, usually outweighs the "what if" the dog bolts, the fence falls down. etc etc.
Everyone gets their "system" and periodically the systems fail. My dog has gotten through fences, 4x just last week, she has chewed through metal clotheslines, most of you with "houdini dogs" know the drill ....s**t happens.

Trust me after chasing her this week, I share your rant.
But I still think it's for the greater good.
Old April 21st, 2005, 11:22 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwinn
We leave Daisy outside on nice days. We have a good relationship with neighbours on both sides, and we have 5 1/2 foot fence all around our yard. If we didn't know our neighbour's, or if the road was close to any of the fences, I might be more concerned, but especially with our current work schedules, she's happier outside and we feel safe leaving her out there. She has shelter and water. I do understand what you are saying, but I think it also depends on your own personal situation.
I do have to agree..Tron loves to lounge around in the back.And it went for the same with Yukon.We have amazing neighbours.And my dogs are trained not to take any food from anyone unless It's family and I say it's ok too.You could put a ribeye steak down and it wouldn't be touched.None of my dogs have ever tried to dig their way out.They have never tried to chew their way out.They are not jumpers either.Tron is the one who would rather be out back then bored in the house.He still misses Yukon and if he wants out in the back,then so be it.And good luck if someone wants to take him...LOL
Old April 21st, 2005, 08:41 PM

Quote:
The benefit of being outside, usually outweighs the "what if" the dog bolts, the fence falls down.
I just don't see it. If one of my doggies disappeared forever from the back yard, I wouldn't see that as outweighing... I'm a worry wort, and I guess since I don't have kids, my dogs are my 1st priority.

I would be unbelievably upset if I lost one or both of them... Boo got hit by a car right in front of my man and we both got our dose of mortality.
Old April 21st, 2005, 08:49 PM

I think the point that she's making--correct me if I am wrong--but is that you can't live based on the "what ifs." This goes for both humans and dogs.

When we leave our homes every morning, and even when we are in them, we are at risk of having terrible things happen to us. However, this does not keep us from going out each day does it?

Why should people who have safe, protected, fenced yards not allow their dogs the same freedom during nice spring days (and I say freedom in the most limited sense here)?
Old April 21st, 2005, 08:55 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

If I had dog, I think I would be to much of a worry wart, to leave my dog out alone while I was not home.
It doesn't mean that I don't agree with it.
My BIL leaves his patio door open all summer while he is at work, ,so his 2 dogs can go in and out as they please, and I think thats great, but I personally think I would be to chicken to do it myself (what if they got loose, what if an idiot neighbor throws something over the fence, what if they kill some animal that wanders into the yard.....)
JMO

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old April 21st, 2005, 10:10 PM
banned user

I won't leave Justice out on her lead alone, let alone leaving her unattended in a backyard.
I just don't feel the need to do it. She gets more than enough excersize when we are home with her, she doesn't need to be running around loose when we are not home.
Justice is crated during the day. We all work differnet shifts, so the longest she has ever been left alone for is 7 hours (and that was just recently due to my new work schedule). usually she is only alone for 3 hours before osmeone else gets home.
Old April 22nd, 2005, 08:53 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzie
I think the point that she's making--correct me if I am wrong--but is that you can't live based on the "what ifs." This goes for both humans and dogs.

When we leave our homes every morning, and even when we are in them, we are at risk of having terrible things happen to us. However, this does not keep us from going out each day does it?

Why should people who have safe, protected, fenced yards not allow their dogs the same freedom during nice spring days (and I say freedom in the most limited sense here)?
So very true.

The only thing I would never do,and never have done is leave my dogs out all day when no one is home.
Old April 22nd, 2005, 09:00 AM
Senior Contributor

I dont have a yard but I do ahve a balcony sam likes to name on on nice days.

im a worryer too, if sam wants on the balcony im sitting out there with him, as are the kids usually

I dont know if id let him into a yard, at my moms place he played with my brothers dog in the yard, they were alone but we could see them from the enclosed patio.

that wouldnt bother me, but if theywere out of site i wouldnt have allowed it

Eleni
"I used to look at [my dog] Smokey and think, 'If you were a little smarter you could tell me what you were thinking,' and he'd look at me like he was saying, 'If you were a little smarter, I wouldn't have to.'" - Fred Jungclaus
Old April 22nd, 2005, 10:16 AM
Senior Contributor

This is both a rant and a rave and this topic interests me.

I live on 1/2 acre wooded. My back property is natural forest and for the last couple years I am finding evidence of people using it. I find beer bottles, vodka bottles and assorted trash out there.

Someone is apparently walking his dog out there while I sleep and letting it crap all over.

The last straw was finding a pair of underwear. I nearly gagged.

I am also fed up with having to go out with Chloe and follow her around, while keeping an eye out for other people's dogs coming around. This is very inconvenient in the winter and I'm tired of pulling on boots and coat the second I wake up.

She does have a cable, but she gets wrapped around the trees instantly and even if she didn't I could not leave her out on it for fear of other dogs.

Now that the weather is nice, poor Chloe really wants out. I took her out to pee the other day, and she flopped down on the warm pine needles, giving me a look that said "Can't I stay out here for a little while?" Of course the answer was "No".

So, I have decided to have a fence put up and clean out my piggy bank.

For the first time since she came to live with me, Chloe will be a free dog on her own property.

I will see how it goes, but I have no intention of EVER leaving her out there when I am not home.

YAY!!!!!!!!! I"m getting a fence!!!!!!
Old April 22nd, 2005, 10:59 AM
Senior Contributor

There are neighbourhoods I have lived in where I wouldn't leave Daisy out. As I said, given the size of our fence, the type, the distance from the road, and the neighbours, I don't have a big issue with it hear. The way our fence is, you can't tell there's a dog in our yard unless you are one of the immediate neighbours (the back yard is fenced separately from the sideyards, which are also fenced.)
Old April 27th, 2005, 03:13 PM
Hazel's Personal Servant

Fenced in....

Although our last newf (and the new one arriving soon) went to work with my husband, before he owned his own business our dogs stayed at home in the backyard during the day. We have a 6 ft chainlink with the privacy slats in it all around the yard. I always thought that they would be more comfortable outside where they could have shade or sun - be inside the doghouse or outside on the grass. Our house gets hot during the day and I wouldn't have wanted them to get too hot. I do plan to put in a dog door so that our new puppy will be able to go out or come in as she pleases. I did have one neighbor at one time who was suffering from Alzheimer's and would open my back gate to feed my dogs. I had asked him many times not to feed my dogs but I don't think that he remembered. When I caught him leaving my gate open, I asked his son to make sure he didn't open my gate anymore or feed my dogs. I had thought about getting a padlock for the gate, but it never happened again. If we didn't have the luxury of being able to take the dog to work, she would have to stay at home and that would mean outside.
Old April 27th, 2005, 03:16 PM

Newfs are different. As long as your neighborhood is safe, newfs should be ok. My aunt lives on a farm and her newf lived outside for 13 years. She only came in on really bad weather days. I hope you don't have busy streets though...

I would just never do it in the city or in the burbs... I don't trust people at all and I don't want to risk my babies.
Old April 27th, 2005, 03:32 PM
Senior Contributor

Looking at this issue from a neighbors side,little Bailey(the Cocker)who lives behind me,with a chainlink fence between us,is NOT happy being left out all day when their owners are gone for a summerouting.
I have on several occasions"rescued"her,her collar was stuck on a bush,they forgot to close the gate and she was out on the street,several times..luckily I noticed and brought her back.She will sit on her side of the fence watching us and the cats,dying to come over and play,looking really sad :sad: Of cource I talk to her give her approved treats,but she does not like to be alone all day outside.
In the past few month I have been taking her for walks every day,since the mom went back to work,no,I don't charge anything,I love that little doggie...but I hate it when they never take her along on a nice summerday,she is a very good dog.
Old May 1st, 2005, 04:57 PM
Senior Contributor

all of the issues raised, jumping fences etc (other than those that involve humans) are things you train your dog not to do, it would be very irrisponsible not to train your dog properly then leave it outside all day.....

if your neighbors hassle your dog, well there are ways to fix it (eg fence off the area near that neighbor and make a no go zone) and i m sure if you put your mind to it you will find more, eg if the neighbor is a lonely old man who likes your dog and likes to give a snack, well go to that neighbor and give him your prefered snacks and ask that they only give a certain amount daily, this will encourage your immeadiate community to get involved and this in turn will add protection to your dog, more ppl care the more ppl watch out. not to mention helping that lonely old neighbor or similar....

dont forget dogs need to be dogs, jsut because we possess them does not mean we have the right to stop them being natural doggies....it seems these days we dont like anything to be natural without our intervention and control... and humans paranoia and bubble wrapping has resulted in alot of neurotic and problematic dogs......

the first thing i learnt about dog ownership- never let the dog control your life, share it with them, and to me that means that we all have to fit in and adjust, i should be able to go shopping for 3hrs with no problems...

i for one have left my dog outside most days for some period (15min to all day) for the past 9yrs, she has never left her yard (even fi the gate is open, she is trained you see), she hangs out and sniffs and digs up bugs, she loves it and if i hovered over her all day i think she would become nurotic as would i. and she does not wear a collar during the day (not required here chipping only) but again even when other visiting dogs have escaped due to poor training she has never ever left her pad, she is a happy well excersised and trained dog. and she hangs inside when she chooses, you will find during the day when im home, she will go outside to sit in the sun on her own anyway, and if i call ehr in she will come reluctantly.

i run my dog for 1.5 hrs every single morning, we excersise till she is totalyl out of energy, this i found is the key to a happy dog that can hang insode and out- energy often equals boredom and angst, that is where alot of probs start.

as far as i am concerned all dogs should be able to hang out somewhere without a human, its only fair that they be allowed to be dogs, not just another mechanism for human ego and control....