Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Foster talk - Rescue talk - NO listings please

Old April 18th, 2005, 09:55 PM

URGENT: 10-Day Old Kitten Needs Foster Mom

Ile Perrot - 10-day old kitten urgently needs foster Mom who can bottlefeed. Lady who found the baby is currently feeding it carnation milk and can't keep the little one. If you can help, please call Mme. Menard at 514-453-1527.
Old April 19th, 2005, 11:07 AM
Senior Contributor

I'm sending you an email.
Old April 19th, 2005, 06:05 PM
Senior Contributor

I told Canine14 (Lisa) about this kitten, and it's not surprising that with her endless compassion and big heart that she is taking the kitten in.

It may not live, but that certainly wont' be because it isn't getting the best care possible.

Once again, thanks Lisa!
Old April 19th, 2005, 06:09 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

thank heavens

I have been sitting here all day worrying about this kitten and wondering how the heck I will explain to my husband that it is coming here. Lisa, you are a doll. Thank you so much for helping this little one! You're tops in my books.
Old April 19th, 2005, 08:08 PM

Lisa, you rock!!!
Old April 20th, 2005, 03:25 PM

Norton

Thanks everyone!!!

Norton is still hanging on. He is all white and I am not sure if he is a male or female but he is Norton for now and will be Ethel if he is a she as I suspect she is. "His" eyes are still closed and his umbilical cord is still on. I am guessing that he is 5 days old. I have him on Vet Solutions milk replacer and am feeding him every three hours. I have to pick up a more sensitive kitchen scale so I can weigh him.

I am in the process of buying a farm over the border in ON so BMD I may need a babysitter for a couple of hours over the next week!

I'll keep everyone posted. Say some prayers; he is so small.

Lisa.
Old April 20th, 2005, 03:29 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Just give a shout

Not a problem, if you need him/her aka Norton/Ethel babysat, I'm your gal. That's amazing news that you are getting a farm. Does that mean that St. V's will lose you though? :sad: If the little one is not eating enough due to lack of suction power, let me know and if you don't already know how to do it then I can show you how to measure a feeding tube and help that way. I have the kit all here.
Old April 20th, 2005, 03:41 PM

Thanks!

I will let you know ASAP.

Yup, I am changing careers and will be a farmer/cat-rescuer instead. I plan to have 4 sheep for wool, 4 goats for wool, 9 chickens for eggs and a few rescue pigs for the fun of it! I also want to grow organic vegetables and have a mess of skin kids, not just fur kids.

Lisa.
Old April 20th, 2005, 03:42 PM
banned user

How is the wee one doing today? any news? how sad where was he found and was their no Mummy around?
Old April 20th, 2005, 03:46 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

hmmmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by canine14
I will let you know ASAP.

Yup, I am changing careers and will be a farmer/cat-rescuer instead. I plan to have 4 sheep for wool, 4 goats for wool, 9 chickens for eggs and a few rescue pigs for the fun of it! I also want to grow organic vegetables and have a mess of skin kids, not just fur kids.

Lisa.
Would you like a Bunny and a potbellied pig to get you started? I have lots of livestock experience so can give you a hand on that front. St. V's will be very sad to see you go and it will be a great loss.
Old April 20th, 2005, 03:55 PM

Pig

YES!!!

I would love a pig. I am not so sure about bunnies though because there are fishers around and I would much rather make sure that the outbuildings are secure before I get such a wonderful little creature.

Oh I will be asking for advice and lots of it!
Old April 20th, 2005, 04:33 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

With Emma around....

I don't think that the fishers will come by looking for trouble. We had a very nasty fellow come on to our property once and our Selena did enough damage that he did not come back visiting again. Also, getting a rooster or some Peking ducks or Geese will warn anything off your property. I had all sort of little creatures at my farm and let me tell you the Peking Ducks would let you know while they were still a mile away, lol. If you would like to meet Charlotte then give me a buzz and you can see her for yourself. She's a little doll, very friendly and likes dogs, cats , etc.. I love her to death but she'd be much happier with more freedom as they like to investigate their areas and I have to watch for the neighbours dogs as they think she's a light snack She'll only go to someone I trust as otherwise I'll keep her safe here and of course, visiting rights are mandatory for the girls.

As for the Bunny, she can remain with us till it gets cooler out so that gives lots of time for securing outbuildings. Just let me know as the girls find her fun to feed and she's no hardship to keep if I know she would be going to a great home. She actually likes to be petted and fussed over and held. It's kind of neat as the others that I have met through the years don't want anything to do with you unless you have a goodie, lol

Last edited by BMDLuver; April 20th, 2005 at 04:36 PM. Reason: addition
Old April 20th, 2005, 04:40 PM
Adopt a senior dog!!

Quote:
wow! sounds like our dream/plan (chris and me)! congratulations and enjoy. where is your new place?
BoxerRescueQuebec.com
Old April 20th, 2005, 04:42 PM
Senior Contributor

What is a fisher?
Old April 20th, 2005, 04:48 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Fisher

Fisher
(Martes pennanti Erxleben)

From: Saunders, D. A. 1988. Adirondack Mammals. State University of New York, College of Environmental Science and Forestry. 216pp.

Order: Carnivora

Family: Mustelidae

Description: The fisher resembles the marten but is larger and darker in color with white or cream (not orange or buff) colored patches on their underparts. The rather coarse fur is long, thick, slightly glossy, and dark brown to black, darkest on the tail, feet, and back. The guard hairs of the head, neck, and shoulders have white or golden brown tips, lightest and most conspicuous on older males. The cylindrical body is muscular, the legs short and stout; the feet relatively large and possessing sharp retractable claws. The head is broad with a short, narrow muzzle; small, dark eyes; and short, rounded ears. The long bushy tail tapers toward the tip, and accounts for nearly half the total length of 80-102 cm (31.5-40.2 in). Weight varies between 1.8-7.3 kg (4 -16 lb). Females are about one-half the size of males.

Range and Habitat: The former range was the forested regions of northern North America with some populations occurring in the southern Appalachians. Logging and unregulated trapping eliminated this large weasel from most parts of this range. For example, in New York the fisher occurred only in central and western regions of the Adirondacks by the mid 1930's. After complete protection was extended to the fisher by the New York State Legislature in 1937, and with only limited harvests of this valuable furbearer during some years since, the fisher is again widespread in the Adirondacks, probably occurring in most Adirondack towns. The Department of Environmental Conservation has successfully reintroduced the fisher in the Catskills. Approximately 3,000 to 4,000 fishers now inhabit the Adirondack Park.

The fisher prefers mature coniferous and mixed forests with thick overhead cover, and avoids openings such as logged areas, especially in winter. Unlike the marten, the fisher may also use deciduous forests, including dense second-growth stands. Seasonal changes in habitat use may occur, with some fishers leaving high elevations to spend the winter in conifer swamps and lowland conifer forests.

Fishers use temporary dens except when caring for their young. Maternity dens are often tree cavities 6-9 m (20-30 ft) above the ground, but may include holes in the ground or rock cavities. Hollow logs, stumps, brush piles, abandoned beaver lodges, and openings within snow banks are other places fishers rest or sleep.

Food and Feeding Behavior: The fisher is an opportunistic omnivore, eating large quantities of seeds and fruits such as beechnuts, black cherries, and mountain ash berries when seasonally abundant. However, snowshoe hares, voles, mice, red squirrels, flying squirrels, and shrews make up the bulk of the diet. The fisher hunts by running back and forth over an area, and then rushing and biting prey that it flushes.

The fisher’s reputation as a predator of white-tailed deer is exaggerated. The fisher may consume deer as carrion, e.g., road kills, but it does not kill adult deer nor is there much evidence that it preys upon fawns. The fisher kills and eats porcupines where they are abundant, perhaps in some areas even depressing Adirondack porcupine populations. Fishers, because of their size, speed, shape, and other adaptations, are the only predators that routinely kill this quill-laden rodent. Rarely, a fisher may attack a porcupine feeding in a tree, but most successful kills take place on the ground where the fisher can quickly circle and lunge at the porcupine, biting its face until the porcupine is disabled. The fisher then begins feeding upon the porcupine’s throat and belly which are unprotected by quills. Over the span of several days, the fisher consumes all but the skin, large bones, and feet. Fishers do incur injuries from impacted quills, but seem more tolerant of these wounds than other predators. One porcupine will supply the energy requirements of an adult fisher for 10-35 days, whereas a snowshoe hare will suffice for only 2.5-8 days.

Activity and Movement: The fisher is most active at twilight, but alternates periods of activity lasting 2-5 hours with bouts of resting or sleeping in temporary dens as it travels throughout a large area. In a 24 hour period, the fisher travels about 1.5-3.0 km (1-2 mi), but may cover 30 km (19 mi), for example when searching for mates. Fishers are active at all times of the year except during severe winter storms when they stay in their dens until the arrival of milder weather. In spite of the name and the fisher’s ability to swim well, most activity occurs on the ground. The fisher is adept at climbing trees, but does not travel from tree-top to tree-top, and does not often climb trees. Fishers walk on the soles of their feet, but the usual means of locomotion is by running or bounding, the tail extended above the ground much like the posture of a house cat. This is the reason for one of the fisher’s colloquial names, black cat, and also why the fisher is sometimes confused with the gray fox or other large mammals.

Reproduction: In March or April, the female bears 1-6 (average 2 or 3) young which at birth are blind and covered with fine, gray fur. The female spends most of her time with the newborn young, leaving them for no more than 2-3 hours each day. As the young mature, the female spends more time foraging, traveling directly to the boundaries of her home range to hunt. By 49 days of age, the eyes of the young open, and they are weaned by about 4 months of age. The young disperse in autumn or early winter. Females breed at one year of age; males may be sexually mature at the same age but often do not mate until their second year. The potential longevity of the fisher is at least 10 years. Adult females mate approximately 10 days after the birth of a litter, and thus the gestation period is 327-358 days. Most embryonic growth takes place during the last 30 days of the gestation period because of their delayed implantation.

Predators: Because of its size, agility, and aggressive behavior, the fisher has few predators. Coyotes, black bears, bobcats, and great horned owls may occasionally kill fishers, especially young ones.
Old April 20th, 2005, 07:30 PM
Senior Contributor

Lisa, I'm coming to visit you!! If there is another property near you for sale, let me know!!

Fishers (of the weasel, marten and badger family) are tough customers, and more than a few cats in Hudson/St.Lazare have fallen victim to them:
Attached Images

Old April 20th, 2005, 07:49 PM

Lisa, it all sounds wonderful!!! I'm curious to know where this farm is too. And when are you moving in?

Lyne
Old April 20th, 2005, 07:51 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

lol

We should have a big help them fix up the outbuildings party to get ready for all the critters! We can bring the food n beverages and make a day of it! hehehehe, bet she didn't know moving to a farm was going to be so exciting to all of us.
Old April 20th, 2005, 07:52 PM

Lancaster, Ontario, near Quebec.

Lucky, you are welcome any time.

I just checked on Norton and he is sleeping on the heating pad beside his stuffed camel.

Lisa.
Old April 20th, 2005, 07:53 PM

BMD,

You are all welcome any time. I like the barn-building idea. It sounds like fun!

Lisa.
Old April 20th, 2005, 07:54 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

awwwww

That's so sweet.

You'll love Lancaster, I used to live in Glen Robertson which is about 20 minutes northeast of there.
Old April 20th, 2005, 07:55 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by canine14
BMD,

You are all welcome any time. I like the barn-building idea. It sounds like fun!

Lisa.
It is lots of fun. We had a huge gang come out and help us gut the barn at our place in glen robertson. Everyone loved it and a lot of work got done very quickly.
Old April 27th, 2005, 04:15 PM

Talking

The farm is a great dream that's what we're doing now I'm doing the farm thing and running a boarding kennel.Life is great!(except stupid driveway is a swamp)If you are interested in livestock I can put you in touch with a friend of mine who does farm rescue.It's a lot of work unless you're independantly wealthy but it's really worth it.We're building for goats and sheep this year and horses in the next year or two.At the moments outside we've got about twenty chickens and seven guinea fowl as well as the bunnies.This was my dream for years and if I can help let me know.
Old April 27th, 2005, 05:17 PM

Thanks Lise. I lost the farm I was bidding on in Lancaster but I have my eye on another one near Alexandria.

I would like to start off modestly, with 4 wool-variety sheep. I also need 9 laying hens. I am interested in saving a pig (maybe Charlotte, BMD's pot-bellied). Eventually, in a year or two, I would like to rescue some PMU foals. None of my animals ever would be for consumption, EVER.

Thanks for the positive thoughts.
Old April 27th, 2005, 05:42 PM

Nobody around here is eaten ever.If you would like I can keep an eye for farms available around here.Sorry about your other place.
Old April 27th, 2005, 07:00 PM
Senior member - formerly goldengirl

I have friends and contacts in the Alexandria area. And "have hammer, will travel"

Keep us posted. I think this is a dream of many of us here
Old April 27th, 2005, 07:40 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengirl
I have friends and contacts in the Alexandria area. And "have hammer, will travel"

Keep us posted. I think this is a dream of many of us here
I knew you'd been in on the hammering with the rest of us! Now all we have to do is wait patiently for them to get the farm. By the time they do get it, we'll all have a ton of animals for them.