Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old April 11th, 2005, 06:07 AM

Glad I found you!

My husband and I are animal lovers and have had many pets over the years, but this latest one is very special.

In February 2005 he met an older lady in a waiting room who said she didn't have any family and had to take a taxicab to the doctor. They exchanged phone numbers so he could give her a ride now and then, and the next night she called and couldn't breathe. She wouldn't call 911 because she didn't want to leave her cat, Sassy, alone. My husband went to her house to care for the cat and call the paramedics while I stayed on the phone with her. Her name was Hope.

Hope went to the hospital, and we took care of Sassy at her house for two weeks, until Hope died. She had told us that she was 94 (she was 88) and that Sassy was 18 (more like 11 or 12). She wanted us to put Sassy to sleep when she died because she was afraid that Sassy couldn't make the transition to a new home. We made an attempt for her peace of mind to find a vet who would (no one reputable would euthanize a healthy cat), and we brought Sassy to the hospital to say goodbye. We took him and all of his stuff home with us on my husband's birthday, Feb 21, 2005, the day after Hope passed. The last thing she said to us was we'd better be good because she'd be watching.

We thought Sassy was female, but his records verified he's a neutered male white persian and siamese mix. He made the transition quite well, and sleeps on my head like a fur hat the way he did with his original caretaker. It turns out Sassy has a lot wrong with him, but that doesn't stop him from being incredibly affectionate and loving. He spends a lot of time on my chest staring into my eyes and I figure I'm just too dense to hear his thoughts.

I'm grateful that you're here: I didn't find you in time to help deal with the challenges and losses of the other animals that have passed, and Sassy has some unique problems I could use help with.
Old April 11th, 2005, 07:25 AM

You'll find a lot of knowledgeable cat lovers on this site who I am sure would love to help you out!

Welcome aBoard! hehe!
Old April 11th, 2005, 09:18 AM
Senior Contributor

How wonderful that you helped Hope and now give Sassy a great home! I wish I knew more about the kitty kind of autoimmune disorder - and it is sad about her claws - but I know more about the human variety. Have you done research online?
Old April 11th, 2005, 09:42 AM

On-line research for autoimmune PF

Thanks for your interest. I've just started doing research on-line and have only found confirmation about the steroid treatment as the first course, progressing to what they term "chemotherapy" or Cyclosporine. I did find reference to vitamin E, and will ask my vet about it, if I stay with this vet. I also found a vet dermatologist in my area that lists herself as "holistic". I'm concerned about the side effects of immune suppressant drugs, which is what is recommended. Sassy stays indoors, but with the thyroid, heart murmur and elevated liver count, suppressing his immune system sounds very scary to me. And a lot of the articles I found talk about the bad side effects of prednizone. None of the articles so far mention the kind of soak to do.

Just so you know, he seems like he's doing okay, very affectionate and cuddly, normal elimination and eating. But not being a cat person, I'm can't tell yet if he's in pain when he walks or licks/chews on his paws. I asked the vet whether his constant purring while he's on my lap and just laying around is really contentment and happiness (the vet said yes). My intuition tells me when he's on my lap and kneading my chest and purring for 15 minutes at a time, that he's trying to soothe himself and manage discomfort. I do know he responds well to Reiki (that's hands-on energy healing): he actually places his neck right in my hand wear the tumor is, and then stays there for 30 minutes or more. So I do that morning and night while we're watching TV.

I love the little guy, so I hope he survives/thrives!
Old April 11th, 2005, 09:48 AM

Oops . . . wrong place to post last message

Sorry . . . being new here, I didn't catch I was posting to the introduce yourself place when it should have been the health place. Is there a way to delete that reply from introduce yourself and copy it to health? Does a simple cut and paste suffice?
Old April 11th, 2005, 02:09 PM
Kitty Consort

Welcome to you! I was very touched by your story.
How commendable this is, helping this elderly lady and then giving her cat a home. . Its very heartwarming to read of such acts of kindness.

I hope you are able to get the information to help Sassy with his health issues.
A stressful time for him with all these changes, but he is obviously in excellent and capable hands, and sounds like he is doing well with the transition to new surroundings and people.

I wish you the very best of luck with this special kitty, and hope that he progresses well in your home.
Old April 12th, 2005, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psiharis
Sorry . . . being new here, I didn't catch I was posting to the introduce yourself place when it should have been the health place. Is there a way to delete that reply from introduce yourself and copy it to health? Does a simple cut and paste suffice?
If more about your Sassy cat's medical afflictions are posted, I'll move it to the Health forums. For now, let's leave it here and bid you and your fine family a warm hello!

According to the Humane Society of the United States:
There are an estimated 3-4 million dogs and cats euthanized each year in the US alone! PLEASE - spay and/or neuter your pets!