Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old April 8th, 2005, 01:12 PM
Arf! Arf!

What BRAND of dog food do you use?

What brand of dog food do you use to feed your dog?

I use First Mate which is what was recommended to me by the breeder ($50 for 44lbs):

http://www.firstmate.com/dog/hipronew.htm

Chicken meal, wheat, Chicken fat, fish meal, corn gluten meal, corn, beet pulp, vitamins, minerals, fish oil, dicalcium phosphate, salt, choline chloride, sorbic acid (used as preservative).

Vitamin C, Vit A, Vit D, Vit E, Vit K, Thiamin, Riboflavin, Niacin, Pyridoxine, Vit B12, D-Pantothenic acid, Folic Acid, D-Biotin, Iron, Zinc, Maganese, Cu, Iodine, Cobalt, Selenium Glucosamine, MSM.

Protein (minimum)..........32.0%
Fat (minimum)..............20.0%
Fibre (maximum)............ 4.0%
Ash (maximum)..............10.0%
Calcium (actual)........... 1.75%
Phosphorus (actual)........ 1.20%
Digestible Energy....3850 KCAL/kg

My Alaskan Malamute Puppy's Homepage: [url]http://members.fortunecity.com/maximus7[/url]

Last edited by Gripenfelter; April 8th, 2005 at 03:13 PM.
Old April 8th, 2005, 01:33 PM

Solid Gold Wolf King-- THE PRICE WENT DOWN!!! Sorry for yelling but it is really exciting. The price went down from $71/33lbs to $67/33lbs. I don't know if it's permanent because they had a problem with their bags and had to ship some in different bags, but I hope it does. I really swear by this food. My doggies are doing awesome on it and they RAVAGE their food in the morning. Jemma used to wait until 2 PM to eat her first portion of Wellness before we got her. She did better on the Eukanuba but not nearly as good as this. And two months in her ears are better too. Yey. This is the first dog food I have ever smelled that actually smells good.
Here is the site:Solid Gold
Here are the ingredients:
Quote:
Bison | Salmon Meal | Brown Rice | Millet | Cracked Pearled Barley | Oatmeal | Rice Bran | Canola Oil | Flaxseed Oil | Garlic | Amaranth | Blueberries | Yucca Schidigera Extract | Taurine | Carotene | Choline Chloride | Vitamin E Supplement | Iron Proteinate | Zinc Proteinate | Copper Proteinate | Manganese Proteinate | Potassium Iodide | Thiamine Mononitrate | Ascorbic Acid | Vitamin A Supplement | Biotin | Calcium Panthothenate | Selenomethionine | Pyridoxine Hydrochloride | Vitamin B12 Supplement | Riboflavin | Vitamin D Supplement | Folic Acid |
It's great food. Nothing I wouldn't eat (except oatmeal because of an intolerance issue, but that's beside the point)
Old April 8th, 2005, 01:36 PM
Senior Contributor

how much do you pay for solid gold, i want to switch sammy off of nutrience because i dont think its as good as what he could be eating but poor thing everytime i try to switch him he ends up with dirreah despite how slow i try to change it.

his cookies are nutro brand however and they dont make him sick, so i wonder if nutro would be less likely to bother him so badly. i plan on asking the vet next week when sammy goes in to have his last set of shots, however the vet also suggested eukanuba for sammy and that diddnt go so well.

Eleni
"I used to look at [my dog] Smokey and think, 'If you were a little smarter you could tell me what you were thinking,' and he'd look at me like he was saying, 'If you were a little smarter, I wouldn't have to.'" - Fred Jungclaus
Old April 8th, 2005, 01:58 PM

Now it's $67 for 33lbs for the Wolf King one. These are the ratios:
Protein, Min 22%
Fat, Min 9%
Fiber, Max 4%
Moisture, Max 10%
Calories per cup, 364

G- is yours puppy food? The ratios are so high, especially the fat if it's adult food.
Old April 8th, 2005, 02:05 PM

Food

I feed Riplees Ranch GOLD it's the best and all my dogs love it and look great!!! It's home delivery which is even better, I am too busy!!!!

www.ripleesranch.com

Old April 8th, 2005, 02:09 PM
2 dogs, 1 cat, 1 parrot

All of our kids (minus the parrot and cat) eat "Wellness - Fish and Sweet Potato", and the puppy of course the puppy blend. They LOVE it!!! We initially switched over from "Technical" when our senior boy's chronic colitis got WAY out of hand. A homeopath suggested trying a food without preservitives and fillers. The "Wellness - Senior" cleared him right up... not an issue with the colitis up until he met his end with cancer.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man
--Mark Twain
Old April 8th, 2005, 02:24 PM
banned user

Nutro Natural Choice Adult Lamb and Rice

Top Ten Ingredients

Lamb Meal
Ground Rice
Rice Bran
Rice Flour
Sunflower Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of natural Vitamin E)
Rice Gluten
Dried Egg Product
Natural Flavors
Monosodium Phosphate
Dried Kelp (source of Iodine)

Protein 21.0%
Fat 12.0%
Fiber 5.0%
Moisture 10.0%
Old April 8th, 2005, 02:38 PM
Shih Tzu Owner

Switched from WELLNESS Puppy to Costco Kirkland brand. We mixed the two to introduce Ariel to the new food but Ariel just started picking out the Costco food and leaving the wellness on the floor. Great deal too, $25 for 40lbs.

Old April 8th, 2005, 02:50 PM
Kitty Consort

I feed Royal Canin Poodle Food. $11.99 for a 3-pound bag.
His been a notoriously finicky eater in the past, but really enjoys this food, and seems to be doing well on it.
Old April 8th, 2005, 04:22 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Great results with this recently

I just recently switched to Innova Evo. I must say that it has more than greatly reduced the amount of pooper scooping required! Yippie.

Innova Evo Senior
Turkey
Chicken
Ground Barley
Ground Brown Rice
Potatoes
Rice Bran
Rice
Natural Flavors
Chicken Meal
Herring
Chicken Fat
Apples
Carrots
Cottage Cheese
Sunflower Oil
Alfalfa Sprouts
Egg
Garlic
Taurine
Chicory Root Extract
Glucosamine
Chondroitin Sulfate
Viable Naturally Occurring Microorganisms
Vitamins/Minerals
Old April 8th, 2005, 04:26 PM
<-----nut ball

We feed eagle pack, but have heard great things about Kirkland from costco. Maybe we will consider switching, as Odin doesn't have problems with Lamb. If it doesn't work out, we will just go back to Eagle Pack. I wonder if we could get a sample of the kirkland food somewhere??

According to one website I just looked up. the kirkland brand is made by Diamond pet foods, which I heard is good.

Gunner, can you tell me how many cups they recommend for feeding a 50 lb dog (if there are recommendations on the package).

Thanks!

Last edited by raingirl; April 8th, 2005 at 04:30 PM.
Old April 8th, 2005, 04:47 PM

Quote:
I just recently switched to Innova Evo. I must say that it has more than greatly reduced the amount of pooper scooping required! Yippie.
I also use Innova Evo for my 2 heelers. It is the BEST food I have ever come accross! There are absolutely NO GRAINS in this food at all. All the kibble is held together by potatoes, so the dogs can digest it easier. They poop twice a day, and it's hard as a rock. I pay $59.00 for a 28.8 lb bag, and 1 bag lasts both of them one month. My border collie is on raw food.

I didn't know Evo came in senior formula though. I was told it is all life stages as it is the same as raw food, in kibble form....
Old April 8th, 2005, 05:00 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

yeppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by heeler's rock!
I didn't know Evo came in senior formula though. I was told it is all life stages as it is the same as raw food, in kibble form....
The senior form look like very thin wafers but dog kibble size. They are easier for dogs to eat that have dental difficulties. Maggy, one of the BMD's I have here, has just had dental surgery recently as her teeth were rotting out of her head and this thinner format is much easier for her to cope with. She is turning 6 mid june and moving into the senior category because of her breed and life expectancy. I suspect she was fed some form of raw diet or table scraps as she will eat fresh veg and fruit and rice with relish.
Old April 8th, 2005, 05:07 PM
Senior Contributor

Wellness

We feed Wellness Whitefish and Sweetpotato to Halo who has severe chicken allergies - even the poultry fat (which they say has no protein and shouldn't bother an allergy) in the ingredients is no good for her. So we also stay away from any product that just lists animal fat as an ingredient. I was excited when I saw the posts about Innova Evo but see it has chicken so no go there. My other dog eats California Natural lamb and rice. I used to feed them both that but it didn't agree with Halo either - gave her a tummy rash. Poor Halo has a very sensitive gut it seems.
Old April 8th, 2005, 05:15 PM
Senior Contributor

Performatrin Ultra available at Pet Valu. I saw a difference after switching from Nutro. About $50 for a 30lb bag and about $2.10 for the 13.2 oz tin.

http://www.performatrinultra.com/dog/benefits.htm lists the ingredients and why they use them.
Old April 8th, 2005, 05:52 PM

Dog Dancer-- that is why I use solid gold wolf king. My big Boo gets violently ill for days if he eats any chicken and my little girl is allergic to wheat and corn.
Old April 8th, 2005, 06:01 PM

I use Nutro Natural choice because a lot of people on here recommended it, and it's about the only good quality puppy food I can find here without having to buy it online and pay for shipping. It's $20.99 for 20 lbs.
Old April 8th, 2005, 06:02 PM

I wanted to do Wellness, but the store here that carries it doesn't carry it in Puppy food, only adult. So maybe I'll switch her once she's a year old.
Old April 8th, 2005, 06:03 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks Prin, I looked at your ingredient list and will have to check it out at the pet store. Halo also seems allergic to many grain and wheat type of products, although by far the worst is poultry. The only down side to the Wellness is she has soft stool, which we counter act with pumpkin, which she loves. But I'll have to keep the Wolf King (now I've forgotten the name...) in mind to check out in case she changes on this one too. Tks again.
Old April 8th, 2005, 06:09 PM

Prin, where do you get the Solid Gold Wolf King? I've never seen it in our area.
Old April 8th, 2005, 06:33 PM

I get it at a small dog food store. I looked on the internet and the distributer for KY's phone number is 888-966-6287 if you want to call and ask...
Old April 8th, 2005, 06:40 PM
Senior Contributor

Fromm's Four Star - at the moment Whitefish & Potato.
Old April 8th, 2005, 07:22 PM
banned user

Avo Derm vegetarian blend.
Old April 10th, 2005, 08:10 PM
Owned by goldens

Dog food

I presently feed Solid Gold, Wolf King. My dogs love this food and are doing very well on it. They are goldens and their fur is beautiful. My younger boy is shedding a lot but I suspect it is not a food issue (he was shedding before I switched foods) as my other dog has the most beautiful coat and is not shedding at all.
They use to eat Royal Canin, Natural Blend and although the ingredients were good not as good as Solid Gold. Prior to that I tried Nutro, Natural Choice and had disastrous results. Recently I have heard from a few people that their dogs have become violently ill with Innova dog foods.
I guess it depends on the dog. One may do well on a particular food while another may not.

Prin
I may have asked you this before but where do you buy your dog food? I have been going to Burlington, Vermont once a month or so to buy food. I save about $20.00 a bag. I noticed yesterday on my monthly run that the bag was silver instead of gold but still had the Solid Gold, Wolf King label on it. Is this what you were talking about?
Old April 10th, 2005, 09:42 PM

Yes-- they ran out of bags and the replacement ones got shipped to the wrong state, so they're using the silver ones temporarily. I get mine at Woofers on Sources in Dollard. It's $67 there now. I go there also because they are the only ones with a huge selection of the "northern Biscuit cookies" which are the only ones my doggies can digest.
Old April 11th, 2005, 09:20 AM
banned user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleni
how much do you pay for solid gold, i want to switch sammy off of nutrience because i dont think its as good as what he could be eating but poor thing everytime i try to switch him he ends up with dirreah despite how slow i try to change it.
elani: My puppy Diego (a 3 months old golden/lab mix) was on Nutrience Junior for a short while, he had diarrhea while on it. Our vet prescribed some canned Hill's Prescrition Diet I/D food for Diego, for 4 days, then we slowly switched him on Nutro's large breed. He's been doing well. I don't think Nutrience is bad, just a lot of herbs, which made Diego's stool very runny. I also feed Diego one pill of DermCaps everyday with meal, it's a concentrated fatty acid supplement, also given by our vet to help improve his skin dryness and fur, so far it has been working great. I've noticed that since the switch, the amount of his stools has largely reduced, and it's no longer runny. I inspect his stools everyday: it's just the right texture, soft inside, a little bit hard on the outside, beautiful stuff! All my friends laugh at me for that, they think it's disgusting.
Old April 11th, 2005, 10:30 AM
Senior Contributor

Sammy does well on nutrience, but I dont think its as good a quality food as i could be feeding him.

unfortunatly it seems his tummy is sensative to change, so everytime i try to transition him to something else he ends up with awful dirreah.

I think for now he will stay on nutrience and ill slowly transition him to somthing like nutro.

Eleni
"I used to look at [my dog] Smokey and think, 'If you were a little smarter you could tell me what you were thinking,' and he'd look at me like he was saying, 'If you were a little smarter, I wouldn't have to.'" - Fred Jungclaus
Old April 11th, 2005, 10:43 AM

I just switched from Nutro's small bites lamb to Wellness Super 5 mix chicken. It's about $36 for a 15lb bag.

Related to the topic, is there any truth that Royal Canin has better ingredients then Wellness? My mother in law said that "her dog food is better, as she buys from the vet and dog food sold at the vet has top quality ingredients, even if they both have chicken as the first ingredient, she says vet dog food has better quality chicken then wellness or any other brand not sold through vets."
I said that is b.s. but would like some proof or any one's opinion to back it up. Thanks
Old April 11th, 2005, 10:56 AM
banned user

I don't know about Royal Canine, but the fact that the food is sold in vet office as opposed to retailers has absolotely NOTHING to do with the real quality.

Come on, let's read the labels and compare notes. My vet office only carries Medi-Cal and Hill's PD, and she even gave me a sample bag of canine p/d large breed chow, but after reading the label, I've decided to keep Diego on Nutro.

Just look at the first 5 ingredients:

Ground Whole Grain Corn (source of natural digestible carbohydrate & lutein),
Chicken By-Product Meal (source of natural protein),
Corn Gluten Meal (source of natural protein),
Dried Beet Pulp (source of natural dietary fiber),
Chicken Liver Flavor
Old April 11th, 2005, 11:03 AM
Arf! Arf!

How is Purina? I have a coupon for a free bag.

My Alaskan Malamute Puppy's Homepage: [url]http://members.fortunecity.com/maximus7[/url]