Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Foster talk - Rescue talk - NO listings please

Old March 23rd, 2005, 12:56 PM

puppy mill auction

Recently, i have seen many american rescues who have "rescued/bought" dogs from puppy mill auctions. I have never heard of such a thing, and was wondering if anyone here knows if they take place in Ontario as well. Thanks
Old March 23rd, 2005, 01:08 PM

Yes, they do have them in Canada...i don't know about Ontario specifically. They are horrible. I did a research paper on them for my English degree a couple of years ago. There were so many in Iowa, which was close to where i was going to school, and they were held out in the middle of nowhere, auctioning off these poor, neglected animals-- usually retired breeders and unwanted puppies--to the highest bidder which usually wasn't all that high. I talked to some people in rescue who would seek out these auctions nearly every weekend in the summer in different american midwest locations, and try to save as many dogs as they could. Just another wonderful side effect of pet stores/puppy mills.
Old March 23rd, 2005, 01:16 PM

I just read 3 different articles re puppy mill auctions, and it breaks my heart! if anyone knows of any in Ontario, please let me know. I am more than willing to save as many of them as i can. I can't imagine this happening in Ontario. I just can't. Maybe i am naive, but i would hope that our laws would not allow these kinds of auctions, and that the ospca would be all over it! I would even be willing to attend one of these at a nearby state (driving distance) but would have to research the law, to see if i would be able to cross the border with all the dogs i plan on rescuing.
Amber, as you sound knowledgable on this topic, do you know how one goes to locating these auctions. I did a quick google search, but i can't seem to find any. Are they only advertised in local newspapers?
Thank you for your response.

Last edited by Trinitie; March 31st, 2005 at 11:47 AM. Reason: removed the puppymill broker link
Old March 23rd, 2005, 02:27 PM

Savannah, i know that these auctions are often advertised in local papers. Back when i was doing my research, i looked at samples from papers in Missouri (huge puppy mill areas there), they would say things like "livestock auction" and then go on to list a sample of available dog breeds. You could check nopuppymills.com as they have a forum dedicated to dog auctions and the times and places of auctions are posted sometimes. I'm not sure how many Canada locations are listed though, everytime i've checked it out it's been alot of American midwestern states. I think it's so great that you are willing to actively try and help these dogs...I wish i had the space (or a better landlord ) to do the same. I will keep my eye out for any info and please keep me updated on your search...good luck!!
Old March 30th, 2005, 07:28 AM

Savannah,

I think it's fantastic that you want to help. Have you been involved in rescue before? If you haven't I would like to offer you some advice on how best get started helping.

If your first activity to rescue dogs is to go to an auction that would not be a good thing. You will leave with a broken heart because you cannot possibly rescue every dog there that needs your help.

Find an established rescue that you would like to help and join them. They will welcome your help. They will already have a system of rescue and your volunteer efforts will make a real difference.

If you work alone you will only be able to help a few dogs. As part of a rescue you will be able to hundreds of dogs.

Good Luck

Rob
Old March 31st, 2005, 10:42 AM

While its great that people do save many of those puppy mill dogs, the other side of the coin is that by going on those auctions and buying those dogs, you are enabling puppy mills to get rid of their unwanted stock for profit and in turn helping them run their business, produce more pups and neglect and abuse more animals. You may save one (or few) dogs, but unless they are going out of business and getting rid of all their stock, buying dogs in an auction is only helping puppy millers and contributing to the problem. JMO.

Another good anti mill site http://www.prisonersofgreed.org/
Monster - ferret
Bob - Ball Python
Old March 31st, 2005, 10:57 AM

Thank you everyone for your response. I would love to one day start my own rescue, but i think that volunteering at a shelter or rescue is more realistic at this point.
Natasa, i do see your side, and i have read many discussions re pro's and con's of puppy mill auctions in the past few days. I am still undecided on my feelings on these auctions, and whether rescues (who purchase dogs from the auctions) are contributing to the millers and showing the millers that there is a demand for certain breeds of dogs, thus the millers breeding even more of certain types of dogs (i.e. a bishon rescue purchasing 90% of the dogs at top price, showing the millers that there is profit in bichons, and breeding them even more for the next auction).
I did read a post/story on the no more puppy mills site, and it really touched me
"I always think of the starfish story...the man throwing starfish back into the sea, someone comes up and says that you cannot possibly save all of them so what difference does it make...the man picks up a starfish and throws it back into the sea and replies "it makes a difference to this one..."
That quote right there is what keeps me divided on the subject. :sad:
Old March 31st, 2005, 11:45 AM

Savannah, I'd like it if you could remove the link to that nasty website. I looked at it and all it is, is an online puppymill broker.

Totally disgusting.

Ahh - you're gone now. I'll remove it myself.

According to the Humane Society of the United States:
There are an estimated 3-4 million dogs and cats euthanized each year in the US alone! PLEASE - spay and/or neuter your pets!
Old March 31st, 2005, 11:54 AM

Sorry Trinitie
i was so shocked at that web page, it really brought me to tears (@work!). I should have known better to not put it up. I just could not believe my eyes. Thank God we don't have anything like that in Ontario!
Old March 31st, 2005, 12:03 PM

It's ok. Just remember though, that word of mouth on a public forum can lead to an increase of traffic at the mentioned site. Erring on the side of caution is always best. But, we all learn from trial and error, don't we?

According to the Humane Society of the United States:
There are an estimated 3-4 million dogs and cats euthanized each year in the US alone! PLEASE - spay and/or neuter your pets!
Old March 31st, 2005, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savannah
I did read a post/story on the no more puppy mills site, and it really touched me
"I always think of the starfish story...the man throwing starfish back into the sea, someone comes up and says that you cannot possibly save all of them so what difference does it make...the man picks up a starfish and throws it back into the sea and replies "it makes a difference to this one..."
That quote right there is what keeps me divided on the subject. :sad:
There's a big difference between saving starfish lying on the beach and buying puppies at an auction to save. If the starfish on the beach live or die no one is making a profit. The man throwing them back in can help one at a time and is not hurting other starfish by helping one.

If you put money in a millers pocket then you should know you may contributing to the suffering of hundreds of other dogs.

There are many, many ways you can rescue and help dogs in other ways without giving money to a miller.
Old March 31st, 2005, 12:42 PM

Savannah, i too am split on this one. I usually am all for the school of thought that looks down on contributing to these horrible breeding cycles (don't buy from pet stores, for example), even if it means saving one. But so many rescues do the majority of their rescuing at these auctions so when I had the opportunity to talk to a woman that worked for such a rescue, I asked her about this. She told me that often the only people who attend these auctions are others who are either in the puppy mill business or looking to "break in". She said the rescuers view it as actually doing their part to break the cycle just by removing the dogs from it, regardless of who recieves money. Also, many of the dogs are retired breeders or other dogs not in the best shape. They are going to be killed, the auction is just a last ditch attempt to get something from them but it's really no big deal to the millers whether they get 20 bucks from them or not. The sad reality is they are doing pretty well for themselves, financially (look at what pet stores charge ) and they are not going to be stopped merely by no one buying their no longer useful "livestock". This woman said that they have actually had the miller find one of the rescuers in attendance at the end of the auction and offer to give them the other dogs that would not sell, knowing she was involved in rescue, as it spared him the trouble of disposing of them later. Of course, it's a different story if people are walking into auctions paying top prices for these animals in an attempt to save them...then that seems to be basically the same thing as purchasing a puppy from a pet store. I can definitely see both sides on this one.
Old March 31st, 2005, 02:38 PM

Me too, i am very divided on this topic. I don't think i will ever have a clear conclusion on how i feel about it. I will just avoid them (luckily that is easy as i don't live anywhere close to where they are taking place), just as i avoid p.j's etc.
When i first posted it, it was the first time i had ever heard of these auctions, and i just did not know what to think. I still dont know what to think.
A controversial subject, i guess.