Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Foster talk - Rescue talk - NO listings please

Old March 20th, 2005, 05:46 AM
Senior Contributor

Lady pretending to be a rescue.....

I went to an animal food store yesterday, and their was a huge fight at the cash between a lady and the Assistant Manager. The food store gave her donations of food on regular basis along with another group which is well known. She told them she was a "rescue" and she needed help. The food store found out that this lady, was selling the animals to labs!! (Perfect reason NOT to give away animals) Yeserday she came in to pick up her "donations" and the Ass. Manager told her to never come back and he kicked her out! She didn't leave without a fight and a scene!!! Can the food store go one step further with this lady and maybe press charges?
Old March 20th, 2005, 06:56 AM

I'm glad they exposed her for what she is. They should also contact the other stores in that area where she may have told them the same lies..... force her to buy the food and she might just give up her despicable 'job'. And post an add on their board that tells the general public NOT to go anywhere near her or her associates.

I really don't know if they could sue her, it was donations and that's optional on the stores part. If they are interested in that route, they should check with their corporate lawyer.
Old March 20th, 2005, 07:45 AM
Adopt a senior dog!!

gross where are you located poodletalk?
BoxerRescueQuebec.com
Old March 20th, 2005, 08:06 AM
Senior Contributor

I live in Montreal, but the foodstore was in the SouthShore.
Old March 20th, 2005, 08:27 AM
Adopt a senior dog!!

Oh no, I live in Brossard...Do you know if her "rescue" has a name? Which petstore was it at?
BoxerRescueQuebec.com
Old March 20th, 2005, 08:36 AM
Senior Contributor

I will send you a PM about the store...not sure if I can mention names on the bullentin board. But for everyones curiosity, I don't know the name of the rescue she uses. When I walked into the store, I heard her yelling, but I thought it was just an upset customer and I ignored her. Then I went to the cash, it was a double sided cash, and she was still there yelling. I asked my cashier what was the problem and she told me. Then the Ass. Manager started yelling, "Out now" and he walked over and opened the door!
She was screaming some garbage and he was screaming out! At this point, my stuff was already paid for and I was ready to leave. I waited for her to leave first, and then I left! I should have asked the name of her "rescue" but didn't think of it with the big scene going on!
Old March 20th, 2005, 08:40 AM
Senior Contributor

BoxerResue, I tried to send you a PM but I got a message saying your inbox is too full. I can't send you a PM until you clean it out! Sorry
Old March 20th, 2005, 08:43 AM
Adopt a senior dog!!

hey sorry, something's wrong with my pm's it's empty but it keeps saying it's full you can email me at crystal@breederoo.com .
BoxerRescueQuebec.com
Old March 20th, 2005, 10:33 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by poodletalk
Can the food store go one step further with this lady and maybe press charges?
Yup, they can definetly press charges. they can ask for everything they donated back. Although, a juge might think they should have done proper research BEFORE giving her anything.

I live on the southshore of Montreal too!!! What a small world! What store was it (you can pm me)?

Deep thought, by Jack Handey : "I think my new thing will be to try to be a real happy guy. I'll just walk around being real happy until some jerk says something stupid to me."
Old March 20th, 2005, 10:59 AM
banned user

if a women says that her daughter is sick with cancer, and gets donations.. and it turns outthat this is a lie.... she can be charged.
There was a case in Ontario like this.
I'm thinking its the same sort of thing. Donations being given under false pretences. The store should look into it
Old March 20th, 2005, 12:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Only a Crown prosecutor can lay charges - tho someone can file an official complaint which I hope they do. What she did is fraud. Unfortunately, there is little protection for the animals in her (I can't say care) -- whatever. With children, we can always charge the individual for child endangerement or neglect, etc.
Old March 20th, 2005, 12:41 PM
Senior Contributor

First off,I hate to say this,BUT it was the pet store owners fault for not checking to see if she was actually a rescue.I agree,she can be charged with fraud.Cause that is exactly what she did.I definately would look farther into this situation.Who knows where she is getting these animals from.
Old March 20th, 2005, 12:51 PM
Senior Contributor

I know it says somewhere in the "rules of the forum" that we must not publicly post slanderous things, or something to that effect..but may I ask why?

Wouldn't it curb a lot of fraud and just plain evil if these monsters were publicly ostracized?

....just curious.
Old March 20th, 2005, 12:51 PM

The store would have to call the police,dodge a compaint and if the police feel it is worth investigation they will try and track down this woman.Get all the information available,statements and if a charge is warrented lay a charge ,most likely 'fraud under $5000.The crown attorney would then have to make a determanation if it could win,if so they persue the compaint.
Chanches are she will not be charged because-at the sounds of this- it will become a you said ,she said, I said, no you didn't say.
The police are already overworked and don't want to get involved with wht they consider minor claims.
If they can find out who this person is maybe somebody can go to the other petstores and let them know what happened.
Is there anybody who knows this person and exactly what she does?Maybe she can be stopped ?
Old March 20th, 2005, 01:01 PM
Senior Contributor

Don't forget, Megshawnmom, the store is is Quebec....the animal rights (what rights?) are the most pathetic.

They'd have more luck getting her picked up if they could say she shoplifted!!

Last edited by twinmommy; March 20th, 2005 at 08:13 PM.
Old March 20th, 2005, 01:21 PM
Senior member - formerly goldengirl

Unfortunately, that will reflect on legitimate rescues too.

AND we go back to that "free to good home" issue. Extra concern here, as we have a research lab on the south shore.
Old March 20th, 2005, 01:57 PM

I understand the store is in Quebec, theft if theft and the theft is food product.Maybe the legit. rescues in the area can flush her out.
I would rather see a 'free to good home' go to rescue or even the pound where they may know how to screen people.Unfortunately in Ontario it issue of shelter is 'sell to the first buyer regardless'.I guess I should qualify that, MOST shelters.We know reality is such that wouldn't happen.Does the QC or On.government use registered brokers to buy/sell dogs.
You really can't educate people trying to get rid of their dog,they want the dog out and are usually happy when somebody comes along-their problem is solved.So sad.
Old March 20th, 2005, 03:51 PM
Adopt a senior dog!!

Quote:
Extra concern here, as we have a research lab on the south shore.
yuck! where is it goldengirl?
BoxerRescueQuebec.com
Old March 20th, 2005, 05:11 PM
Owned by goldens

Laboratory

I live on the south shore of Montreal and have heard awful stories about a local "shelter" that sells their dogs and cats to labs. I have also heard stories of how a truck pulls up at 3:00 a.m. to pick up these animals.

I was there once a lady walked in and dumped her kitten. She said she didn't want it anymore and the guy took it without any questions.

Now if we can only get the word out that giving away an animal means that it "MAY" end up in a lab. I am waiting for a callback tonight from someone giving away a purebred dog. I saw it in the newspaper today. Aaaaah!
Old March 20th, 2005, 05:14 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Our local paper had "Free to good home, horse, pony, goats and cats !!" How very sad, I just hope they don't end up in the wrong hands !

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old March 20th, 2005, 05:25 PM
Senior Contributor

I went back to the store today, the Manager wasn't there and the Ass.Manager was busy with clients. The cashier that I had yesterday was free. So I asked her what name does this women go under, and she didn't know. I asked her how does she get her animals? She said, she finds them!
I will go back when the Manager is there, perhaps Thursday or Friday night to find out more information!
Old March 20th, 2005, 05:28 PM
Senior Contributor

CooperBelle, I believe I know what place you are talking about. I heard horrible stories about that place. I had a friend who drove by their one time, and she saw a rottie tied outside. Even though she had a full house of children,dogs, etc she stopped and got the dog. She was too afriad to think what could happen to him.It turned out to be the sweetest dog ever. People in the SouthShore need to be aware.Theirs alot of puppymills and backyard breeders also!
Old March 20th, 2005, 06:07 PM
Adopt a senior dog!!

You're talking about our municipal pound They won't even take help from rescues cuz they wanna make $$$$$$$$$ Disgusting.
BoxerRescueQuebec.com
Old March 20th, 2005, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmommy
I know it says somewhere in the "rules of the forum" that we must not publicly post slanderous things, or something to that effect..but may I ask why?

Wouldn't it curb a lot of fraud and just plain evil if these monsters were publicly ostracized?

....just curious.
It's a legal thing. Unless the charges are proven in a court of law, and the activities are public record and factual, posting them here would only open up Pets.ca to a potential lawsuit. Since we can't moderate what people tell each other in PM, word of this rescue "could" reach far and wide that way. I'm not saying that it should happen that way - BUT - posting names here could be damaging.

According to the Humane Society of the United States:
There are an estimated 3-4 million dogs and cats euthanized each year in the US alone! PLEASE - spay and/or neuter your pets!
Old March 20th, 2005, 07:31 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberKitten
Only a Crown prosecutor can lay charges - tho someone can file an official complaint which I hope they do. What she did is fraud.
That's true for a criminal suit. I was thinking along the lines of a civil suit -- the store could get their money back with a civil suit for unjust enrichment (art. 1493 to 1496 of the Civil Code)

Deep thought, by Jack Handey : "I think my new thing will be to try to be a real happy guy. I'll just walk around being real happy until some jerk says something stupid to me."