Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 17th, 2005, 02:04 PM

Sore paw

Hi, my name is Janet, I am new to this so please be patient.
I have a cat...Stray is his name, he came to us about 2 years ago. While he has become somewhat tame, he is still a little on the wild side. The other day he ripped one of his claws out and it has since become infected. What can I use on it to help him? I have tried to put him in a vehicle but it terrifies him and to try to put him in a cage, I would need a blood transfusion!
If anyone has any suggestions, I would be thankful.
Old March 17th, 2005, 02:15 PM
And Zoodle's Mom!

Hi Janet

Your cat will need antibiotics ASAP for his infection and may be a good idea to see a vet. I had a similar situation this winter with a cat I found and the first round of antibiotics didn't help because the infection was further up the toe than the vet first thought!

Here is a suggestion to get him in a carrier - When cats are frightened, they like to hide. While holding the cat and cuddling him (if he allows this), just cover his eyes with your hand or allow the cat to put his face under your arm. This may help calm him down a little. Or what about trying to put a blanket or towel on him and then put him in a carrier? If he's really difficult try using a bigger carrier that is easier getting him into it!

Most cats are terrified of car rides but they can really bluff too!
Old March 17th, 2005, 02:17 PM
And Zoodle's Mom!

Has he been neutered and vaccinated before??
Old March 17th, 2005, 03:02 PM

If you cannot handle the cat without getting ripped to shreds, then ask your vet for a 1/2 sedative tab to calm him down a bit. Not enough to knock him out, but just enough to make him a bit more manageable.

I don't normally condone drugging pets, but this one needs to be seen by a vet. If this is the only way for him to get in a pet caddy, then so be it.

(welcome by the way!)

According to the Humane Society of the United States:
There are an estimated 3-4 million dogs and cats euthanized each year in the US alone! PLEASE - spay and/or neuter your pets!
Old March 17th, 2005, 04:45 PM

If you live in PEI, I know they have a feral cat pick-up service... Not so much west of there though...
Old March 18th, 2005, 03:42 PM

I don't think the OP means the cat is currently feral, but more a pet now. From what I read of the post, the cat came to them 2 years ago but is injured now. It's simply too scared to put in a carrier. Straycat - please correct me if I'm wrong!

There are an estimated 3-4 million dogs and cats euthanized each year in the US alone! PLEASE - spay and/or neuter your pets!
Old March 18th, 2005, 03:50 PM
Senior Contributor

If you live in most any rural part of the Maritimes, call your vet and explain the situation and s/he may even come to your home to look at your cat. As someone who does a lot of telemedicine, it just this minute occured to me it might be useful in vet care. Can you take a digital picture of the paw and email it yo your vet. (Most Canadian vets belong to an organization that provides them with a wb site or they have their own). The vet can at least see the paw.

But infection does mean he needs antibiotics and should see a vet in person. (er as a ct, you know what I mean ) What about rescue Remedy or Cocculine that may make him sleepy? Then you could put him in a blanket and a carrier and get him to the car and to the vet. You could also trick him into the carrier with treats? It might be traumatic for him to travel in the car once he is there and he will whine but at least he will get to see the vet and receive care!

Good luck!!
Old March 18th, 2005, 04:53 PM
Senior member - formerly goldengirl

Sedatives, Rescue Remedy, covering his eyes, etc are all good suggestions. Another one I was once told about was to wear oven mitts to help protect your hands and arms when handling a cranky cat (actually the suggestion was made to wear oven mitts when someone HAD to bath a cat)

Hope your baby is feeling better soon, but it sounds like he has to make that nasty trip to the vet first (unless you can get a house call)
Old March 21st, 2005, 07:15 PM

Stray is feeling better!

Hello everyone...thank you for all of the replies...I called the vet in town and he was good enough to give me some antibiotics for Stray, and I am happy to say that he is doing much better...next step is to get him in and vaccinated and neutered. The vet suggested that I put him in a feed bag or a pillow case, but I think the sedative is the best idea, I don't want to lose the trust that he has in me...took too long to get it...anyway, he is doing much better as I said, and thank you again, sorry to take so lone to get back here. And Trinitie, you are correct about Stray, I guess we just didn't think he would stay this long, when he first came around, my husband said he could come in and eat but then had to go, I fed him a can of tuna and the rest is history!
Old March 21st, 2005, 09:40 PM

So glad to hear that. Any way of posting pictures of him?

Old March 21st, 2005, 11:04 PM
Senior Contributor

The best thing is to borrow or rent a humane trap. That way neither he nor you will be injured.

While he is anesthetized for his neuter, the vet can check him out thoroughly and take care of any other problems.
Old March 22nd, 2005, 11:06 AM

Pic of Stray

Hello again, here is a picture of our Straycat...he is feeling much better and looks healthier today.
Attached Images

Old March 22nd, 2005, 12:30 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh he is so cute. I love the markings on his face! I love his little black nose. I am so glad to hear that this little baby is doing better!

Proud mommy to...
Meat Loaf (Brittany Spaniel) 13 months
CryBaby (5 years old)living with grandpa now
Chino (Doberman mix) 7 months old
2 new kittens (8 weeks old) Felix and Gizmo