Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Foster talk - Rescue talk - NO listings please

Old February 24th, 2005, 03:06 PM

Angry Sweet Boxer Mix Needs Help in VA

Oh, I am so mad I could spit.

Here is the deal. I just found out through my niece that my sister's ex-husband wants to "get rid" of his one year old boxer mix, Maggie.

He comes home and lets her out of her crate, but not outside. So she pees on the floor. She's in the crate for a long day as it is. He has tried "hitting" her for this behavior but that won't break her of it. OH, one more thing. She won't stay in his unfenced yard. She "runs off." He's just generally clueless and cruel. Two weeks ago, I would have had room for Maggie. Right now I just don't--having taken in a second "year old" puppy.

I know most of you are in Canada, but is there *anyone* in Virginia/DC/Maryland who could help Maggie? I'm willing to transport, donate a bag of food--she has a crate that conveys. Maggie weighs about 50 lbs. I'd guess she's mixed with pit bull (Thankfully nobody here is likely to hold that against her) but I'm not certain. She's housetrained if you're reasonable about it. I think he leaves her for nine or ten hours, which is obviously far too long. I've met Maggie. She's very sweet and healthy. Have even had her "jokingly" offered to me when I was considering a second dog over the last year. She's spayed and up to date on her shots. If anyone out there can help, I'll help you in return as much as I can. My house is just not big enough for another big girl right now.

I'm tired of being related to the people I'm related to, which is neither here nor there. I'm sorry to be a pain.
Old February 25th, 2005, 09:12 AM

*relief*

Boxer Rescue is happy to help if I can transport the dog to her. She said that if she can't foster through Boxer Rescue, she will find her a spot with another local rescue. I'm going to call her shortly. (Lucky-all she asked me was, "Does she look like a boxer at all? but she told me she would help before she even asked that!) Thanks everyone, for listening. Looks like I know what I'll be up to on Sunday.
Old February 25th, 2005, 09:18 AM
Senior Contributor

Good news,thank's! Hopefully transport can be arranged :love:
Old February 25th, 2005, 09:41 AM
Adopt a senior dog!!

good luck!!!
BoxerRescueQuebec.com
Old February 25th, 2005, 09:52 AM

I'll post a bigger update when I know more and try to get some pictures of Maggie. Thanks you guys!
Old February 25th, 2005, 10:04 AM
Senior Contributor

Good luck with transport and if your jerky ex-BIL even thinks of getting another dog sit him down and explain why he made such a bad owner this time and not to put another dog through that. Lucky he has angels for relatives.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old February 25th, 2005, 10:36 AM

Mastifflover> Yes, I'm trying right now to be "supportive" of him because I don't want him to tell me to go to h*** and drop the whole thing. They have another, older dog that they love and think is just wonderful. His bladder is better developed, I guess. Plus, he stays in their unfenced yard. *sigh*

I just got off the phone with VA Boxer Rescue. She is *wonderful* She asked me to send her some photos. She said that if Maggie isn't "boxer" enough, she has plenty of friends who will help no matter what. She has a few dogs going to forever homes tonight, making some room for some new ones to come in. I think she said she fosters 8 herself--busy lady! Wanting to get involved in rescue as much as I do, I can't wait to take Maggie up there and see how this woman has everything set up and whatnot. This seemed so hopeless yesterday and today it looks as if it will all work out within a week at the very most.
Old February 25th, 2005, 10:49 AM
Senior Contributor

Sounds like Maggie will soon be on her way to a better life, good for you and I understand exactly what you mean about not wanting him to get mad and can the whole thing because Maggie would pay the price for him being an a$$. Keep us posted and I would love to know how she fosters 8 dogs, super woman no doubt and a fairly large place.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old February 25th, 2005, 11:12 AM
Senior Contributor

That's very good news, and thank you for all you do to help these poor dogs.

Can't wait for a good update!
Old February 28th, 2005, 11:43 AM

Here's a picture of Maggie-

Here's Maggie. Isn't she cute? Now, feedback--I think she looks like a boxer, but I could be totally wrong. What do you guys think?

Anyway, I've forward this picture to Boxer Rescue and hopefully something will happen in the next day or so. Wish us luck.
Attached Images

Old February 28th, 2005, 12:36 PM

Probably mixed with pit bull, but I think definitely boxer.
Attached Images

Old February 28th, 2005, 01:00 PM

I see boxer in her for sure! I hope it all works out for the best!!! My fingers are crossed for her.

According to the Humane Society of the United States:
There are an estimated 3-4 million dogs and cats euthanized each year in the US alone! PLEASE - spay and/or neuter your pets!
Old February 28th, 2005, 03:44 PM
Senior Contributor

Definitely boxer in there..hard to tell for sure what else. She's very pretty - thanks for helping this girl!!
Old February 28th, 2005, 05:15 PM

Now what would this jerk off had done if his father "hit" him for not going to the bathroom where he should have when he was small? I mean come on, kids and animals should be treated in the same care and respect. You can't expect an animal to do anything you don't allow it to do! I mean geesh, she can't open the crate and the door to let herself in and out. Some people sure do lack common sense and compassion.
Old February 28th, 2005, 05:23 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

she's lovely

Aww Maggie is lovely. What a pretty girl! She's definitely boxer something... Please keep us posted on her. It's so good of you to help her!
Old March 1st, 2005, 05:18 PM
Adopt a senior dog!!

oh she's a beauty! and very boxerish it is hard to say what she is mixed with...looks kinda big to be pittie, but ya never know...
BoxerRescueQuebec.com
Old March 1st, 2005, 06:02 PM

Too bad Alabama is so far away, I'd take her in a heartbeat! My son saw her pic and said can we keep her???!?!?! I had to explain we live in AL and she's far awayhe politely said, well mom that's why God invented airplanes. Then he heads off to school telling his teacher he will be out this week, he is going on an airplane to get a dog...

Last edited by TWilson9498; March 1st, 2005 at 06:03 PM. Reason: Never said I was the best typer in the world
Old March 1st, 2005, 11:20 PM

Haha, TWilson, I have an upcoming road trip to Iowa, but won't be passing through Alabama, unfortunately! Too bad b/c Maggie would love your little boy. Hoping to hear from Boxer Rescue tonight so that I can take her tomorrow.
Old March 16th, 2005, 10:14 AM
Senior Contributor

I would say that James would take care of her, for company, but from the sounds of it, he is going to foster our friend's dog Rufus, while he is in Korea. And Rufus can get rather jealous of other dogs......
Old March 16th, 2005, 01:57 PM
Senior Contributor

I am in Indiana if that would help you any? Not sure if that is to far or not.

Proud mommy to...
Meat Loaf (Brittany Spaniel) 13 months
CryBaby (5 years old)living with grandpa now
Chino (Doberman mix) 7 months old
2 new kittens (8 weeks old) Felix and Gizmo