Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Foster talk - Rescue talk - NO listings please

Old February 23rd, 2005, 02:30 PM

Join the Rescue Walk-a-thon

The rescue walk-a-thon now has 10 different rescues that have joined. As far as I know this is the biggest Rescue Fund Raising Event in Canada. If your rescue is not part of this event then you are missing a prime opportunity to raise awareness of rescues and also raise funds. The website is www.rescuemewalk.com

This event is in Toronto but let's get other events going across Canada. If events were to take place at various locations across Canada think of the extra awareness that would create. And the events don't have to be just for dogs. Cats and birds and other pets need rescueing too!! Start up events to help them!!

We all know the enormous challenges that we face. We need funds and we need to promote responsible pet ownership so that one day maybe some rescues won't be needed anymore.

Let's unite and fight this problem together!!
Old February 25th, 2005, 05:21 PM

Great idea

This is a wonderful idea. Any rescues out there who want to look into that? Unfortunately, I am just a "rescuer", so it doesn't make for a big "walk-a-thon", but hey... I'm ready to get involved!! Awareness is so badly needed out here in Quebec!!!
Old March 3rd, 2005, 12:39 PM
Adopt a senior dog!!

Boxer Rescue Quebec is also interested in being involved. Things are really hectic with us right now, but we are interested!
BoxerRescueQuebec.com
Old March 10th, 2005, 10:27 AM

Rescue walk

Good Day,

I am with the BT group, and would like to start the rescuewalk in Edmonton as well, it is a wonderful idea for all. Would anyone else be interested in an event of this nature in Edmonton
Old March 12th, 2005, 06:05 PM

We've added two more rescues including Boston Terrier rescue to the Toronto event. If the events in Montreal and Calgary get going then that will really help build awareness of rescues.
Old March 13th, 2005, 10:57 AM
Senior member - formerly goldengirl

I have been approached to represent Cdn Doxie Rescue to plan the Montreal walk, as well as my Secours Golden Rescue hat. I hope the other Montreal rescues will get on board too. PM me if you want the co-ordinator's email address

I don't know what the plans are yet, but maybe we could tie it into the "Dog Days of Summer". For those of you outside Montreal, this was an event last summer where the City of Pointe Claire helped us to organize a rescue day. A large marquis, with all the different rescue groups could have information kiosks and showcase the animals needing adoption. Some vets and pet food companies also participated. Maybe you could get other cities interested in sponsoring this type if event.
Old March 14th, 2005, 01:14 PM
Adopt a senior dog!!

Boxer Rescue Quebec would love to be a part of this. We cannot take on alot of the organization/preparation right now as we are going through alot of changes in the rescue. We are only 3 people (I'm in the middle of starting my own company and the other 2 volounteers work full time and run their own boarding kennel also) so we are beyond busy. But that said, if there's anything you think we can manage, just let me know!
BoxerRescueQuebec.com
Old March 19th, 2005, 12:48 PM
Piggy Pleasantry

I think that's a wonderful idea!

My boyfriend and I run a small-scale guinea pig rescue for the Waterloo Region.

I am trying to convince him to sign us up, but I just wanted to make sure it's ok for us to help out? The website says canine rescues...
Old March 19th, 2005, 06:22 PM
Senior member - formerly goldengirl

I have emailed Jennifer in Ontario for some tips on how to organize a walkathon, the kind of games etc to hold after the walk etc.

As I said before, maybe we can tie this in with the Dog Days of Summer in Pointe Claire, if they hold it again this summer.

I work full time and do rescue too, but I am willing to be PART of the organization of a walkathon in Montreal (rescue in general maybe, not just for dogs).

I got the test results on my knee Friday, looks like I am laid up for a long time to come, so I can put some time in on this project from the sofa (tore the main ligament that supports the knee as well as the cartiledge, OUCH) I am on standby for surgery, but they are talking August/Sept at the earliest, so I can help organize, but not walking or doing anything too active the day of the walkathon.

Montreal rescue groups please pm me if you are interested

Last edited by maddoxies; March 19th, 2005 at 06:24 PM.
Old March 19th, 2005, 07:02 PM
Senior Contributor

Cool

This thread has made my night
I am so into this, I emailed for more info, I will have to definitly get Buddy more leash trained for this but I definitly want to take part....this sounds like great fun for an awesome cause.
When I get more info I'm going to see if a few friends might join me for the walk and if our local rescue might want to get involved.
I'm so excited
Old March 22nd, 2005, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengirl
As I said before, maybe we can tie this in with the Dog Days of Summer in Pointe Claire, if they hold it again this summer.
I think that would be an excellent idea goldengirl. The bigger the event the more media. Do you have contacts from any of the organizers? If so could you pm their email addresses?