Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Closed Thread

Old February 21st, 2005, 01:24 PM

What would you do?

I have a question for all members on this board............. and it involves your opinion of internet safety.
How safe do you feel using the net?

There is a reason I ask, and it involves a situation that happened to me recently on this site.
I have thought about this ever since it happened and I just wanted to post my feelings about the situation.

This site does provide a lot of information for everyone, and I realize that people don`t always see eye to eye here.... and that is okay. Some members and I have butted heads on more than one occasion and in the end the only way to solve the situation is to agree to disagree.

Recently I was accused of being a liar and using two identities on this site. I was sent pm`s which I deleted and probably shouldn`t have because I could have used them to my benefit/defense regarding the situation that arose after the accusations.

For the member who pmed me and told me that I was a liar and they would do all they could to rid this site of me, all I can ask is who gave you that authority? After I explained the situation you continued on your assault and probably thought you had succeeded. You did not. You have no right to demand further clarification from me or any other member on this board when they post any information. You are not a moderator, or in a postion on the administration of this site, to the best of my knowledge, and therefore, I simply think that you stepped out of line. Maybe you need to question all the other members who have the same IP addy?? Or maybe someone should be checking yours?

The situation that made me take my pics off this site had to do with an attempt by someone on this site to log in under my identity. I have the IP address and should I decide to I can have it investigated so that I know exactly who you are. I only have a few questions for you..............

What did you hope to accomplish by doing that? I have a hard time believing that anyone on this site would be that spiteful, but I have been proved wrong before. :sad:
Is there something you were looking for in particular?? Please enlighten me to your curiousity............ as I have yet to understand what would possess you to do something like that?

If this was the person I think it was,,, I have only one message for you............ I have not gone anywhere,nor do I intend to. I have as much right to be here as any other member of this board and you can send me as many pm`s as you wish, just remember that they can be used against you if push comes to shove.

My question for the other members on this site is simple............

How would this situation make you feel about the site and the member who did this?

I do take the precaution of logging out each time I get off the site, and my computer dumps cookies each time I log out.
I do know where the person is from, that information was given to me by my service provider, along with the information that this type of activity is considered to be a form of internet identity theft. They did not succeed at guessing my password, which is really funny, it took another member of this site that knows me well less than 30 seconds to figure it out. Maybe whoever did this should know me that well before trying to impersonate me.

If I am no longer on this site because of this post............ so be it............. after this happened I have to question how worthwhile it is to me to be a member. Most of the people who asked me about why the pics were taken down know the details anyway, so if the admin thinks this is reason to ban me then go ahead.

I just think that this situation should not happen to another member.........on this site or any other site.
Old February 21st, 2005, 01:48 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

just an fyi

Just so you know, your account is not the only one that this has happened to. Perhaps just take it with a grain of salt and continue on. Life is too short to worry about it really and internet playing of one form or another always occurs. No offense meant by this whatsoever.
Old February 21st, 2005, 06:28 PM
Senior Contributor

Wow!! I am so sorry this happened to you!! I know we do get into some hot and heavy debates sometimes but I have not felt as threatened as you seem to. I'd hate to see you leave over it. You really think this individual would steal your identidy? I would report it to the moderators which I am assuming you did and then you ISP and it sdunds like you did that too. It is extremely simple for the network administrator of this site to ascertain who the user is. After all, s/he is registered and then the IP number is on the server. They can do a reverse lookup and then contact the person's ISP and complain.

There is no such thing as anonymity on the internet and I wonder why anyone would even bother do try to do something so nasty and think they are anonymous. Those are just my thoughts!
Old February 21st, 2005, 07:50 PM
Senior Contributor

No, don't leave! Would you judge the whole board by one individual? Or allow one individual to deprive you of this avenue of free expression?
Old February 21st, 2005, 08:05 PM

That's terrible. I guess i missed those posts or that "thread." This is an online community---anyone can choose to either misrepresent themselves or not. No one can ever know--that's why you provide information, be friendly and enjoy your stay without taking too much to heart.
Old February 21st, 2005, 08:16 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm sorry if you were inconvenienced in any way, but as has been said, these things happen on the internet.

But "Identity theft"? In order to do that, I think someone would need access to your personal information - address, full name, telephone number, S.I.N, credit cards, bank accts., etc. - all things that no one would include on a profile for a message board.

Of course, I'm not the most computer savvy person, so if someone could get the above info somehow from a profile, I'd like to know about it.
Old February 21st, 2005, 08:21 PM

If someone is a "hacker" and you have few controls on your computer or internet service I believe that they could hack onto your own personal computer. If this happens then yes, they can access more information. Your personal computer usually has your information cached, passwords, login ids, etc.

This is why we must avoid downloading unknown software--sometimes people do this and they end up actually downloading a hacker's program that gives them permission to do this.

That being said, someone can steal your purse from you on the street and get the same information....it's just the world we live in. The key is to keep an eye on your accounts, your information and the whereabouts of your belongings--id and other.
Old February 21st, 2005, 08:58 PM

A hint for all re: password safety.

These comments are related to this situation, but not just this one. It is a bit of advice for everyone with computer accounts.

I know there are sites out there with lots of instructions on password safety, and great detail, but here are a couple of really important rules....

1: Make a password something not even your best friend could guess. Do NOT use your kids, pets, or spouses name ever.

I like to use a combination of two small words with numbers in between. Maybe the model of your toaster or something. Mixing caps and lower case is also a good idea.

Sample PW: "ToasT4BreaK"

Easy enough to be remembered, but very difficult to guess.

2: Use a different password for each of your accounts. Do not use the same password for pets.ca that you use to access your bank records.

This will eliminate a problem if one of your passwords is compromised, the other accounts will still be intact and not threatened by the hacker.

3: Do not write it down in an easy to access location. If you must write down passwords to remember them all, keep them in at least a locked desk or file drawer.
Old February 21st, 2005, 09:23 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogueLover
I have a question for all members on this board............. and it involves your opinion of internet safety.
How safe do you feel using the net?

There is a reason I ask, and it involves a situation that happened to me recently on this site.
I have thought about this ever since it happened and I just wanted to post my feelings about the situation.

This site does provide a lot of information for everyone, and I realize that people don`t always see eye to eye here.... and that is okay. Some members and I have butted heads on more than one occasion and in the end the only way to solve the situation is to agree to disagree.

Recently I was accused of being a liar and using two identities on this site. I was sent pm`s which I deleted and probably shouldn`t have because I could have used them to my benefit/defense regarding the situation that arose after the accusations.

For the member who pmed me and told me that I was a liar and they would do all they could to rid this site of me, all I can ask is who gave you that authority? After I explained the situation you continued on your assault and probably thought you had succeeded. You did not. You have no right to demand further clarification from me or any other member on this board when they post any information. You are not a moderator, or in a postion on the administration of this site, to the best of my knowledge, and therefore, I simply think that you stepped out of line. Maybe you need to question all the other members who have the same IP addy?? Or maybe someone should be checking yours?

The situation that made me take my pics off this site had to do with an attempt by someone on this site to log in under my identity. I have the IP address and should I decide to I can have it investigated so that I know exactly who you are. I only have a few questions for you..............

What did you hope to accomplish by doing that? I have a hard time believing that anyone on this site would be that spiteful, but I have been proved wrong before. :sad:
Is there something you were looking for in particular?? Please enlighten me to your curiousity............ as I have yet to understand what would possess you to do something like that?

If this was the person I think it was,,, I have only one message for you............ I have not gone anywhere,nor do I intend to. I have as much right to be here as any other member of this board and you can send me as many pm`s as you wish, just remember that they can be used against you if push comes to shove.

My question for the other members on this site is simple............

How would this situation make you feel about the site and the member who did this?

I do take the precaution of logging out each time I get off the site, and my computer dumps cookies each time I log out.
I do know where the person is from, that information was given to me by my service provider, along with the information that this type of activity is considered to be a form of internet identity theft. They did not succeed at guessing my password, which is really funny, it took another member of this site that knows me well less than 30 seconds to figure it out. Maybe whoever did this should know me that well before trying to impersonate me.

If I am no longer on this site because of this post............ so be it............. after this happened I have to question how worthwhile it is to me to be a member. Most of the people who asked me about why the pics were taken down know the details anyway, so if the admin thinks this is reason to ban me then go ahead.

I just think that this situation should not happen to another member.........on this site or any other site.
If you recieved private messages like you stated you should forward them to the adminstrator immediatly..please contact them anyway (since you also said you deleted them already) Make a report. I had almost the same problem last year with nasty pm's. This is not right. Debates and even arguements arise but pm's that create fear and unease are out of bounds!
Please inform the board about this. You will do all a favor.
Old February 21st, 2005, 11:59 PM

Sometimes I wonder why people bully. I think you should be able to out them for all people to see. But Karin is right forward all pm's to the administrator and try to resolve it that way. that has happened to you and I for one do not think you have 2 alias. Keep on posting, you have beautiful dogs.
Old February 22nd, 2005, 07:04 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Dear Doguelover - What should you do? - BMD gave the best advice possible - MOVE ON!

First off to everyone else - Doguelover has sent me 4 emails and 3 pms on this matter, the same matter. As a responsible ADMIN I am dealing with the situation, and I told Dogue (in detail and with restarined diplomancy due to the tones of those emails) that I was. Dogue was not happy that I did not give her/him/(someone I don't know personally) frequent and detailed updates on the 'situation'.

To anyone else on this board - I am here to help you all and so are the mods.
We help you from our hearts for free - You can send me email at anytime about matters that concern you and I appreciate them and try to deal with them within a day or two - and often immediately.

After you have alerted us and we have thanked you - we deal with these matters privately. Period. We do not you OWE an explanation or detailed account of what we are going to do and to whom. You need to trust us in that we ARE aware and dealing with serious issues like security. The nature of the Internet is anonymous. The only ones that use their real names are the ADMINS and we simply won't enter into administrative conversations where we talk about board politics with johnny or jenny x (no matter how cute their pets are ).

Please refrain from posting threads like this in the future.
Pming myself or the mods is enough. Threads like these are against board rules. You need to trust that we are taking your concerns seriously when you send us PM's and emails. And if you cannot or don't trust us ......move on.

Thanks all.
Thread closed.
Closed Thread