Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old February 26th, 2005, 09:45 PM
Mimi Holmes Mimi Holmes is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Saskatoon
Posts: 2
Question Toxic plants for dogs?

I am new to a internet forum of any kind, but I love my pet dearly and will even venture into unfamiliar territory just for her! Hopefully, I am doing this right. My question is how do I obtain information on what plants are toxic and what ones are safe to plant? I have a Jack Russell/Pomeranian cross and we are moving in three days to a our first house. I want to plant and try my hand at gardening but I don't want to worry about her. Someone suggested tomato plants were toxic. Is this true?

- Mimi, from Saskatoon
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old February 26th, 2005, 10:17 PM
mafiaprincess's Avatar
mafiaprincess mafiaprincess is offline
Performance Spaniels
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Whitby, ON
Posts: 2,395
Here's a starter list for you.

http://www.cybercanine.com/toxicplants.htm

Yes tomato plants are toxic.

If you are doing gardening you might find this list helpful as well, it has toxic people food, some of which might end up in a garden.

http://www.starbreezes.com/11/foodsafe.html
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old March 11th, 2005, 06:10 PM
Mimi Holmes Mimi Holmes is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Saskatoon
Posts: 2
Red face Toxic plants for dogs?

Thanks very much! This does help!

Mimi
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old March 11th, 2005, 06:24 PM
Jackie467's Avatar
Jackie467 Jackie467 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 887
I had no idea tomato plants were toxic. is it the plant or the tomato that is toxic? we had a dobie that would eat my grandfathers tomatos right off the plants, he would wait until they were ripe and then pick them off and eat them. only the ripe ones, don't know how he knew which were ripe figure maybe he could tell by smell. my grandfather used to hate this and get so mad lol. He never got sick after eating them and he lived to be 12 which is aobut normal for a doberman.
__________________
Jackie and her little babies.

Candi- Italian Greyhound
Cash- Italian Greyhound
Jasmine- Tabby cat
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old March 11th, 2005, 06:47 PM
Katherine1's Avatar
Katherine1 Katherine1 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Woodlawn, Ontario
Posts: 309
Thanks for posting about toxic plants. I too am planting a garden in the spring and plan on having a good to eat furbaby section for Molly.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old March 11th, 2005, 08:06 PM
mafiaprincess's Avatar
mafiaprincess mafiaprincess is offline
Performance Spaniels
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Whitby, ON
Posts: 2,395
The plant is the most toxic, but tomatoes themselves are unsafe too.

But we've all heard stories about someones dog eating something they shouldn't and being okay... My grandmothers dog pulled the table cloth off the table with a chocolate wedding cake sitting ontop... She didn't even act ill when they came home a few hours later (this was like 8-10 years ago) but, we all know dogs shouldn't have chocolate, and it baffles me that that dog ate that much chocolate and lived to age 14. Someone else told me their dog eats all the fallen apples in their orchard. Apples are fine, but the amount of cyanide in the seeds is not. Apparently the dog did this all summer for its entire life without a problem.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old March 11th, 2005, 08:12 PM
Jackie467's Avatar
Jackie467 Jackie467 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 887
yeah he did this all the time since he was a puppy. and as far as chocolate the chocolate in cake and milk chocolate are bad for dogs but not as deadly as other chocolates like bakers chocolate. just a little bakers chocolate can kill a dog.
__________________
Jackie and her little babies.

Candi- Italian Greyhound
Cash- Italian Greyhound
Jasmine- Tabby cat
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old March 11th, 2005, 10:17 PM
raingirl's Avatar
raingirl raingirl is offline
<-----nut ball
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 2,804
According to my vet, a dog has to eat 1/10 of it's weight in chocolate to die from it, so little bits aren't as bad as we think. It all depends on how pure. The more chocolate liquor (the darker, the more liquor), the worse it is.

As for apple seeds, they are toxic to humans as well. As for dogs and humans, you need to eat over a cup of them to hurt you. A few seeds here and there won't kill a dog.

A lot of food we eat is actually toxic to us. A small amount of toxin can cause just a small tummy upset...but it's still toxic. Just look at alcohol. It is actually a poison. If we didn't have livers, we would die.
__________________
Prevent a litter
Fix your critter
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old March 12th, 2005, 01:27 AM
Prin Prin is offline
Senior member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 28,492
The "stats" I heard was that 2 oz of dark chocolate can kill a meadium sized dog. And it takes 7 oz of milk chocolate...

Ironic/sad story--- we gave our favorite aunt "Renoir" stationary and our not-so-favorite aunt "Turtles" for Christmas one year. Somehow the gifts got switched and the favorite aunt's dog ate the Turtles and died. How's that for destiny?

By the way-- alcohol is a poison for more reasons than just our digestion...
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old March 12th, 2005, 08:05 AM
raingirl's Avatar
raingirl raingirl is offline
<-----nut ball
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 2,804
yes, that's true.

The stats I read for chocolate is 1 oz of bakers chocolate per pound of body weight is toxic. I don't think I ever have 50 lbs of chocolate in my house!
__________________
Prevent a litter
Fix your critter
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Terms of Use

  • All Bulletin Board Posts are for personal/non-commercial use only.
  • Self-promotion and/or promotion in general is prohibited.
  • Debate is healthy but profane and deliberately rude posts will be deleted.
  • Posters not following the rules will be banned at the Admins' discretion.
  • Read the Full Forum Rules

Forum Details

  • Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
    vBulletin Optimisation by vB Optimise (Reduced on this page: MySQL 8.33%).
  • All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:51 PM.