Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old December 5th, 2004, 10:29 AM

Anal Glands Removal...Help!!!

Just want to give you some background info.

We adopted Cashew on September 1, 2004. One Spetember 10, I took to the vet to get her anal glands done. Since then the longest time between another vistit is 10 days.

So for the past 2 weeks we have have been taking every week. And the glands are already full! We have put Cashew on medications to stop any infection if there is any. If the glands are full on Friday, the Vet is going to make an appointment to have the anal glands removed. Well not the appointment but refer us to someone that can do it.

I am just wondering if anyone has done this or not. Any advise would help. It just seems like a drastic step. But going to Vet every week, I am sure isn`t fun for Cashew!
Old December 5th, 2004, 11:20 AM
Senior Contributor

Removal of the anal sacs is usually a last resort. If there is no infection, abcess etc maybe your vet can show you how to empty them at home, although it's a smelly job! Here's an article about the surgery. Warning: there are pics of an actual surgery here.

http://www.thepetcenter.com/sur/as.html
Old December 5th, 2004, 01:52 PM
Furless/Furred/Feathered

Done it

Our white shep had hers removed at about 3-4 yrs of age. Was heartbreaking taking her to the vet to have them emptied every 2 weeks, she would cry while I held her for the vet :sad: . Hers pointed up and in instead of the usual position, so they never emptied when she went. I started doing it on my own, but she was always rubbing her bum on the floor and sore. We decided to have them removed for her comfort. She recovered quickly with no complications thankfully and has remained healthy and pain free in the rear end department . The only difference, from what we were told, is that the dog doesn't recognize their "poo" anymore as the glands don't secrete any scent. Well, Keyto doesn't seem to mind and is a happy healthy 11 yr old now
Best to you and Cashew!
Old December 5th, 2004, 04:56 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

anal gland removal

Friends of ours have a 3 year old golden who was very similar. They had the surgery done and he is so much happier now. It really helped him. His vet recommended it, so if yours has, it's a smart move. If you are uncertain, get a second opinion, it's well worth it to make sure. They are in montreal area, if you are in the same then I can get the vets name.
Old December 5th, 2004, 07:34 PM

I would love to have the name of your freind`s vet. I am in Dorval. THanks
Old December 5th, 2004, 07:53 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

vet

The couple who have the dog actually live in Dorval also. I will give them a call and ask the vet they used as I believe the vet was in montreal area at the time they had it done. It was done about 6 months ago. I will give you the info as soon as I get it. At least he can advise you if this is the way to go with an older dog. Be aware that pugs are at high risk for anesthetic though, so it would need to be carefully planned out due to your dogs age.
Old December 7th, 2004, 08:19 PM

I forgot to post more info about Cashew.

I took Cashew took the vet here is Dorval and it was her old vet. Well something like that. She was CAshew`s vet for the first 4 years. Then older gave her to friends and don`t know what happened to her in that year. But it turns out CASHEW isn't a Pug but a Brussell Griffon. And she is very young, she is only 6 years old.

I will be sure to talk to vet about your concerns, like I said right now we aren`t so sure what way we are going to go. We will have to take all the information in and see what will work.
Old December 7th, 2004, 09:14 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

haven't forgotten

sorry I don't have the name for you yet Cashew's mom. My friends just had a baby 8 weeks early so they are not available for a few more days. I will send it in as soon as I get it.
Old December 18th, 2004, 08:59 PM

That is okay, it looks like we might have to have removed. We are going to try one more rounds of meds and see. We are keeping our fingers crossed that this time it will work. But she has been on meds for 7 weeks, while they are full or impacted like before they are still filling up quickly in a week. So we will keep hoping for the best!
Old December 19th, 2004, 12:01 AM
banned user

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashew`smom
it turns out CASHEW isn't a Pug but a Brussell Griffon. And she is very young, she is only 6 years old.
What great news!.... You get an extra 4 years of butt wiggles
Old January 25th, 2005, 07:31 PM

Cashew is having surgery on Feb 9. We tried everything, meds, taking cashew every week to have them emptied. They were always impacted. So we are hoping this well make feel more comfortable!
Old January 25th, 2005, 09:09 PM

Tried at home?

I was just wondering if you have tried to empty the anal glands at home, it would save Cashew the stress of a visit to the vet and it is easy to do.