Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old January 19th, 2005, 10:05 AM

Post great dane falls occasionally

my husband and I recently adopted a great dane/rottie mix. She is a wonderful dog. Sometimes when I walk her, her back legs seem to stop working momentarilly, she falls, then is able to get back up. She has been to the vet in Nov. at the spca where she was staying. We also took her to the vet last week. Our vet claims it could be hip displasure, but it doesn't seem the same. I had a dog with hip problems and he was in constant pain, she is not. A friend of mine mentioned that great dane's are prone to some disorders, but did not know details. Our vet did not think it was a problem, said if it continues or get's worse, he will run tests. She has only fallen in this way four times in 2 months. I would rather deal with it now, before it gets bad. Does anyone know about these other disorders???? She is only 4 years old so arthritis doesn't seem plausable.
Old January 19th, 2005, 10:22 AM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

take a look at this

http://www.peteducation.com/article....&articleid=271

http://workingdogs.com/doc0090.htm

These are some articles that may clarify a few things. Degenerative diseases often present as clumsiness or difficulty with certain movements and can be sporadic at onset. Hope this helps a bit and that your dog turns out to be fine!
Old January 19th, 2005, 10:23 AM
Senior Contributor

First of all we need to move this because no one will realize it is a health issues so if you dont mind I will ask someone to move it. You will get many more responses. By the way welcome to our board. Love those big dogs. I have found that the veterinary schools are great places for Hip Dyspasia and Wobblers and the bigger dog problems. I would see if you University has a veterinary department. Try and get an appointment to have her tested there. I would prefer to get her tested now as opposed to later because maybe if you catch whatever the problem is now it may not become serious or avoid a surgery. I am not sure of things Danes are prone to other than the usual giant breed ailments HD, Bloat and the common stuff.
This is a site to a excellent vet she specializes in mastiffs but they share a lot of the same maladies as danes.
http://members.aol.com/RocknRob56/
Good vet link as well
http://www.avma.org/care4pets/
a link to Great Dane health and much more
http://www.ginnie.com/gdlinks4.htm
I hope some of these help you out
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old January 19th, 2005, 10:34 AM
Senior Contributor

Just so our new member can find their post
Old January 19th, 2005, 10:42 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

My brother in law has an Akita, who had the same problem, weak in the back leg, his leg would give out and he would fall, or walk like he is drugged.
Vet said the main tendon (don't remember the name of it) in his hind leg is frayed and will eventually snap without an operation. Vet also said this is common in large breeds.

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old January 19th, 2005, 02:19 PM
Senior Contributor

torn acl is very common as well
Old January 19th, 2005, 05:11 PM
And Zoodle's Mom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukeshadow
She is only 4 years old so arthritis doesn't seem plausable.
My Pit Bull will be 4 years old in February. He has degenerative joint disease AKA Arthritis!! Larger breeds age quicker . I would definitely have her hips checked for displaysia. My boy also has a pinched nerve which affects his back leg. His legs don't give out, but after runnning he limps really bad and holds his hind leg up. Sometimes it appears he doesn't put alot of weight on his leg. Maybe your dog has nerve damage?? We found this out with x-rays as my vet was checking his hips and hind legs.

Good Luck and keep us posted please!
Old January 27th, 2005, 10:51 AM

Thank you for your interest

thank you for the info that was sent regarding Shadow. Through the links sent, we found out about a problem that is common in great danes. It is called wobbler syndrome. Any one heard of it??? Our vet said he could do tests, but fixing the problem is not always possible. I also wanted to pass along info regarding a supplement we put our older dog on. It is great!!! Duke is ten years old and has a bum leg. The vet has advised us against surgery because he is not sure Duke would heal well. He also thinks it would put too much preasure on Duke's good leg, since after surgery he would only be able to use one leg for a while. The supplement is called PetHealth POC formula for Dogs and Cats. Duke is playing like a pup now. The supplement is an antioxident. It is put out by Market America.
Old January 28th, 2005, 10:41 AM
Senior Contributor

This is very common in this breed.Also in Dobermans.Here is a link you can read.The only part I don't agree with is the part where it says feeding from a height.Danes are prone to Bloat also and should not have their food dish elevated.

http://www.cah.com/dr_library/wobb.html

Here is another link.There is actually a story to this one.It is a bit long though.Get a coffee...

http://home.surewest.net/daneaffr/wobblers.html