Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old February 10th, 2007, 07:27 PM

Geriatric golden retriever - is it the end?

We have a golden retriever who will be 15 this April. She's been healthy all her life, a wonderful dog. She's been slowing down the last few years, but still remained interested and involved in everything we did. She has some arthritis in her hips and has been taking glucosamine.
Last week, we heard her in the night, she had fallen over. She was breathing oddly for a while, but then got up and went back to her bed. Then several times the last couple of weeks, she has started shaking ALOT like she was shivering and really cold. Since, she has fallen over a few times and just laid down in the snow and didn't want to come in and she seems to be "wobbly" sometimes. Now her appetite is waning and she has thrown up (whatever she ate plus yellow bile (?). Since she has not been eating much, her bowel movements are runny too. We know that she has had a long and happy life. Last time we were at the Vet, we told them that when the time comes, we don't want any heroics. She still is alert and seems happy to see us when we come in, but we are wondering when/how to make the decision if we need to put her down. We don't want her to suffer, but we don't want to do anything too soon.
What do you think?

Last edited by Cathy B.; February 10th, 2007 at 07:51 PM.
Old February 10th, 2007, 07:32 PM
Animal Nut!

The best thing to do is to have her examined by a vet, she could have a back problem which is making her fall over, and the pain may be making her not feeling like eating.

But, please take her to the vet. My black lab had something similar the other morning, off his food, then came inside staggering, falling over like he was intoxicated. I called the vet at 4am(when it happened) and he came to see Quin. He said that he had a disc problem in his back, so we are having x-rays this week.
Good luck
Pam

Last edited by Quins-mum; February 10th, 2007 at 07:56 PM.
Old February 10th, 2007, 07:33 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy B. View Post
Last week, we heard her in the night, she had fallen over. She was breathing oddly for a while, but then got up and went back to her bed. Then several times the last couple of weeks, she has started shaking ALOT like she was shivering and really cold. Since, she has fallen over a few times and just laid down in the snow and seems to be "wobbly".
I would have been to the vet the next day. Your dog may certainly be suffering RIGHT NOW ! Please please get her to a vet asap.
Old February 10th, 2007, 10:43 PM
-

Taking her to her doctor should be your first option Cathy, not your last. It's okay to go to the doctor ~ it doesn't mean that you have to leave her there, or that she is going to die there. And I know ~ I felt the same way with with my last grrrrl. I was afraid to take her there because I was afraid I wouldn't get her back. But remember, the choice to bring her home is always yours no matter what the diagnoses. And if you don't like the diagnoses, take her to another doctor for a second opinion. It's your choice ~ she's your dawg.

But right now she's sick and she may be in pain. And I know you don't want her to be in pain or to be afraid. Please take her to her doctor today.
Old February 11th, 2007, 02:46 AM
Live well, laugh often

Well said Mummummum . Good luck with your dog .
Old February 11th, 2007, 06:22 AM
Senior Contributor

I agree with every one else, go to the vet and find out why this is happening, it might be something minor and treatable, like a pinched nerve in the back could cause similiar symptoms went thru similiar with my greyhound at 5 years old, once I new what was wrong I tried anti inflammatories first when that did not help I had him treated by a animal chiropractor before considering surgery, though my vet did not suggest this option, the chiro worked. Some people with senior dogs will combine accupunture with chiro since they are slower to respond to chiropractic adjustments than younger dogs the accupuncture provides a way to relieve pain without using some drugs that can be hard on a senior dogs stomach.

So wait till you learn what is wrong, if something treatable and non livethreatening , check to see what options are available, sometimes there are uninvasive ways to treat. Dogs of all ages get sick and injured, when it occurs in a senior is does not mean heroics to treat, heroics would be putting a 15 year dog through a leg amputation for bone cancer, or putting them through surgery and chemo for an agressive cancer affecting the organs. But treating for the example I gave above a pinched nerve if it can be done univasively is not heroics it simply a matter of improving quality of life until the dogs time has come to go to the bridge.

Goodluck
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." - Unknown