Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 10th, 2003, 03:29 AM

Fishy Smell

OK I am kinda tired of the smell. My dog as is has really rotten smelling farts. Well about once a month his farts will smell like rotten fish and it produces a liquid that just stinks for 24 hours. He doesn't rub his bum along the carpet or give any signs that something may be wrong. Does anyone know what may be causing this or anything I can try to cure it without going to a vet.
Old March 10th, 2003, 11:01 AM

I have this exact same problem with my dog. She's a black lab about 2 years old. She will secreat a very pungant liquid every once in a while. I took her in to have her anal sacs examined, one was full, but the liquid was clean, no infections. She doesn't scoot, or wimper or anything. Last night she was asleep on the couch, and when she woke up she started licking the base of her tail. Call me crazy, but she seemed embarassed. I went to examin her and she didn't want me touching her tail. I did get a hold of her to examin the area, she didn't struggle, so actually lifting her tail didn't bother her, she's just very skidish.

My question is what can I do to remedy the situation? I've heard its diet related, is that true? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Chuck
Old March 14th, 2003, 10:49 AM

reply to fishy smell

I had a black lab for 13 years and he would secrete liquid from his anal glands every once and awhile....maybe even scoot his butt across the carpet and it smelt awful... Our vet suggested that every time it flared up to bring him in and have his anal glands squeezed...and i swear that every time it helped !!!!! You should try that.
Old April 3rd, 2003, 07:42 AM
Administrator

Dog's anal glands - bad smell - Answered by Dr. Slome

These are likely anal gland substance that he is secreting monthly - it IS really putrid. Some dogs get infections of these glands and cause them to build up content more quickly. Other dogs just have it periodically and there is nothing wrong. This is a natural repellant which is also a unique smell to each dog ( that is why dog's smell each others behinds). Sometimes people have these glands surgically removed if there is a chronic reoccuring infection or they just can't stand the smell.

Sorry. You can also try and get an animal odour eliminator from your veterinarian which at least will neutralise the smell within short time when sprayed on the anus area.

Martin Slome DVM

Centre Street Animal Hospital
7700 Bathurst Street Units, 40-42
Thornhill
Ontario
L4J 7Y3

Tel. (905) 771-9855
Old July 20th, 2003, 08:40 AM

Dog's anal glands - Emptying

Hi. We have two mixed breed dogs that have pretty predictable problems. The larger dog will very suddenly start licking back there like it hurts and the smaller dog scoots. With previous dogs, I was able to express the glands externally by holding the tail very vertically and reaching around the gland with thumb and finger. Of course a paper towel separated me from the nastiness that IS anal gland content. With our current two dogs I could not express the glands externally so I took them to vet and she was able to express the glands by inserting a gloved, lubricated finger into the dogs' anuses and express them from the inside. I asked her how to do this and she told me the glands were (if the anus is a clock) at 8 o'clock and 4 o'clock or lower.

I just now did this for both dogs. I took them outside for the procedure. I held the dog's tail vertical, and inserted the finger and found the glands. I got the finger farther inside than the glands and pressed against the rectum behind each gland as I withdrew my finger. IT WORKED! Both glands were filled on the larger dog and only one on the smaller dog. The beauty of this is threefold:
1) The dogs were not hassled and scared by a trip to the vet; 2) The investment in gloves and lubricant just paid for itself 2.5 times over in five minutes; 3) I saved a load of time.

This is really easy. Anybody can do this.
Old December 27th, 2003, 12:22 PM

Smile fish odor

Hi I have a german/lab/triever mix and he has this fishy smelling odor with some greenish/brown liquid comming from his back side , does this sound like the same problem you had?
If so Should I follow steps on your posting?

Thanks
DW
Old October 6th, 2009, 11:00 AM

fishy liquid

we have the exact same problem with our 3 year old westie. every so often (once a week or every other week) he secretes this disgusting liquid from his tush, and it usually has a little brown spot in the middle of the stain. it smells very strongly like fish. i had his anal glands expressed everal times but it didn't help at all (within a couple of days he was doing it again). one vet told me the next step is to have the anal glands removed, but that it could be a dangerous surgery and if the surgery goes wrong, the dog will be incontinent. i'm not sure what to do. we've tried everything! he is ruining all of our furniture, clothes, etc. has anyone solved this problem without surgery?
Old October 6th, 2009, 03:23 PM
Senior Contributor

You all sound like you have dogs with anal gland secretions - yes. Should you try this yourself - no. Not unless you have been shown by your vet how to do it properly. The last thing you want is to try to do it and do it wrong and injure your dog (or yourself). Most vets will gladly show you how to do it. Many grooming studios will do it for you also at minimal charge. I have had the glands removed on one of my previous dogs are they were constantly discharging and causing health issues for the dog - the surgery was done while another surgery was being performed. This surgery is not without serious risks to the dog and not without some serious $$$$. The anal glands will generally secrete small amounts when your dog defecates and in most dogs will not become a problem. So in some ways diet can be a cause if the dogs stools are too soft to express the fluids naturally. Hope this helps.
Old October 6th, 2009, 07:02 PM
Senior Contributor

Dog's anal glands

My male pom x poodle was having problems with his anal glands rupturing, vets advised more fibre in his diet but that just made it worse. He now has cooked beef or turkey in the a.m. and Origen as dry throughout the day. His poop is more solid thus he has to strain a wee bit and this enables his anal glands to empty. I was also advised to remove them surgically and am so glad I didn't go that route.
Old October 6th, 2009, 07:49 PM

My old dog a great dane/newfie, goodness imagine the smell lol, she had the same problem, and my vet advised me to massage the glands, and if that didnt help her, then I was to take her into the vet to have them squeezed, but usually the massage helped, and she would be rid of the problem on her own, but I would deffinately try changing the dogs diet so they can expel the fluids on their own. For Chloe, I just added a small amount of cheese to her diet, not too much or the dog can get constipated, but a little, and it firmed up her stool, and she had very little trouble excreting her glandular nasties...
Old October 7th, 2009, 02:20 PM

Hi everyone,

I had the same problem with my terrier and my germanlab . So, I changed the diet to a more fibrous and holistic food and every week during their baths I put on a latex glove and squeeze the gland by placing my thumb on one side of anus area and the middle finger on the other and squeeze in and upwards movement( this method is only to be done with the outside area only). My vet thought me how to do this and then it took some practice , you know like the first time you change a baby's diaper! anyways never had any problems after that!!
Old October 10th, 2009, 11:32 PM
New Around Here

So, problems are usually caused by the dog's stools being too soft? My little dog will scoot across the carpet sometimes, but there's no smell or liquids. Her stools aren't runny very often, but she doesn't scoot very often either. I didn't know they could be related. Interesting.

"Save the earth. It's the only planet with chocolate !!"
Old October 10th, 2009, 11:41 PM
Doggie Wench

Lucky, scooting could also be because of intestinal parasites. Has your pup been de-wormed recently?
Old December 8th, 2009, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t.pettet View Post
My male pom x poodle was having problems with his anal glands rupturing, vets advised more fibre in his diet but that just made it worse. He now has cooked beef or turkey in the a.m. and Origen as dry throughout the day. His poop is more solid thus he has to strain a wee bit and this enables his anal glands to empty. I was also advised to remove them surgically and am so glad I didn't go that route.
I am having the same issue with my Shih Tzu. When it happened we rushed him to the emergency Vet clinic and it's cost us an arm & a leg. The opened up his behind and did what they needed to do.

As we were checking out (paying the bill) they gave us five cans of high fiber food (at almost $6 a can). We feed RAW so I wasn't too happy about giving the little guy something out of a can but I sucked it up and gave it to him. He seemed to good on it but now it looks like his behind is bothering him again (His gland ruptured about four weeks ago).

I read on another thread about oat bran and plain yogurt and that is the avenue I will take & see how that goes.

The vet said that his poop was too hard and that is what may have caused the problem. Hence what caused me to do a Google search of "high fiber dog food" and what led me to this forum.
Old December 8th, 2009, 03:40 PM

Mommyoftwo is me

sorry, I couldn't for the life of me remember what my user name was. So I started a new account. But now I remember. I must be getting old.

The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too. ~Samuel Butler, Notebooks, 1912
Old December 8th, 2009, 05:24 PM
Senior Contributor

we just had dakota in 3 weeks ago for e. anal glands infection, second time in 20 months, no scotting no bum licking no smell just the abecess that had not burst yet i will not do this again to him, he was parillzed 6 yrs ago, but 90% better now ,he is 11 and a min pin, he now is diabect for the last 2 yrs and on diabect food, super high fiber he went 10 days after surgery and glands cleared now back on the 15 to empty if all is ok we will go back in 2 months good luck to you and your pup brenda and the pins