Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old January 13th, 2005, 10:51 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

For Dez the missing pitbull in Brampton

This is for bteves and Mastifflover.
Please please don't fight, A dog's life might be at stake.
Lets just think about Dez and put differenes aside please.
Dez needs to be found!!!!!
I have attached a copy of missing Dez's info.

Light-Brown Pitbull Terrier missing since Wednesday Jan 5th @ 8:30p.m.
Last seen near McLaughlin/Elgin near the Youth Centre
His name is Dezmond. He is waring a metal choke-chain with ID tags
He has been hit by a minivan so he is hurt and needs food
If you see him please call the police and mention his location or call me Brian @ 905-781-2239

Click link below to see a picture of Dezmond:
http://ca.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/bt...1a1.jpg&.src=ph
Old January 13th, 2005, 11:00 AM
Senior Contributor

I agree but the whole story is not being told and I will not posted it because I don't have proof. After all this if the dog is found he is going to dump it at the pound or have him pts that is not fair and that makes me really mad and I thought because everyone is so concerned about it they should know what is going to happen. I could careless about him but I do care about the dog. Do you want to hopefully find this dog to have him pts?
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old January 13th, 2005, 11:03 AM

Found and put to sleep is better then dying under a bush.

I will not allow this thread to become the what the last one I locked turned into. If you can't be civil, don't post.
Old January 13th, 2005, 11:10 AM
Senior Contributor

Have we lost track???????

of what's important here???

WHAT ABOUT THE DOG??!?!?!?!?!?

Maybe those of us who are bound by distance, like myself find it frustrating to sit here and wait for news of poor Dez, but the name calling, grandstanding, and preaching, is useless and uncalled for. This situation is WAAAAYY out of control, and will hopefully be more closely moderated than other threads.......

Can we not remain civil to each other?

poor Dez!! Hope you are o.k., little buddy. :sad:
Old January 13th, 2005, 11:11 AM
Senior Contributor

Thank you Dragonfly!!! We were posting at the same time
Old January 13th, 2005, 11:20 AM
Senior Contributor

mastiflover...

I pm'ed you but my computer went "Microsoft has encountered a problem and has to close" right at that moment--did you get it? (I am user-challenged )
Old January 13th, 2005, 11:32 AM
Senior Contributor

I did thanks
Old January 13th, 2005, 11:47 AM
banned user

Question for Bsteve:

What will happen to Dezmond if he is found
Old January 13th, 2005, 12:40 PM

im the owner

Depends on his status. You people sound like there was something else I was obviously supposed to do and I didnt do it. If you have a solution say it. Otherwise dont criticize me and ridicule me because my situation. I could not keep him in my new condo because when I would leave to work I would return to a disaster. Financially I couldnt afford to keep repairing things. If thats not a valid enough excuse or reason for giving him then fine but like I said it was my sitiuation and not yours to say anything. Maybe you live a piece of crap house that you dont care what your dog destroys?? Listen I've said many times that none of this matters to any of you. I was trying my best to do the best for me and my dog. If you dont agree with it then keep quiet.
Old January 13th, 2005, 12:44 PM

im the owner

I dont know what I will do if I find him alive. I will be extremely happy I do and I will assess the matter at that time. Obviously finding a new home will not be a good idea. Other than that I dont have too many choices.
Old January 13th, 2005, 12:45 PM

If you are interested in helping this young man find his dog, then help. If you are not then don't. But DO NOT turn yet another thread into a bashfest!
Old January 13th, 2005, 12:56 PM
Senior Contributor

I dont know what I will do if I find him alive. I will be extremely happy I do and I will assess the matter at that time. Obviously finding a new home will not be a good idea. Other than that I dont have too many choices.

Sorry dragonfly but he wants people to help look for a dog so he can pts. I think people need to know that if they are going to spend their time looking because if they find it I am sure they do not want it put to sleep. I hope the dog is okay that is my only concern.
Old January 13th, 2005, 01:01 PM

im the owner

Thank-you Dragonfly. You people do not need to know and understand everything in my life or Dezmonds life. I started this post to ask for help in finding my dog. Whinnie-boo started her post about Dez to find a healthy loving home. How much more explaining do you need? Like Ive said so many times before, if you dont have anything good to say or any suggestions on what I can do to find dez or if I find him what I can do with him afterwards then please help by saying nothing. Im open to listen to any ideas. Im still the waiting for a solution from Mastiff if I find Dezmond alive. What should I do Mastiff; what is your grand answer!!
Old January 13th, 2005, 01:02 PM

Unless you have rock solid proof of that, what you have is an inflamatory accusation. We really have had enough of those in the last couple of days and my head hurts from reading them all. I am out of Excedrin so I am not going to listen to any more of them.

If the dog was hit by a car over a week ago now, then being pts may well be the kindest thing.
Old January 13th, 2005, 01:04 PM
banned user

I have to agree with Mastifflover....

Poor dog... :sad: I understand we should not say anything if we do not want to help this person. However the dilemma is... we all still would like to help DEZMOND.
Old January 13th, 2005, 01:04 PM

im the owner

So all you care about is if Dez is ok? What if he is ok? Would you take him into your house and risk what happened to Whinnie-boo? It was not her fault Dez got out. I said that if I find him ok I dontthink finding him another home is a good idea because of what has already happened. I didnt know what happened was going to happen.
Old January 13th, 2005, 01:08 PM

im the owner

bugsy...if you found him you wouldnt return him??? Geez, I wonder then what would you do with him? Keep him? Try to battle through his SA? Give him away to another home? Tell me what would you do then. What is the best answer in your eyes to deal with this situation if he was found alive?
Old January 13th, 2005, 01:11 PM
Senior Contributor

You made a commitment to this dog so keep him. Moving is a lame excuse for giving up your dog. When you decided to move you had the dog did you consider finding a place that would allow dogs? Seperation Anxiety can be treated read a book talk to a behaviourist or trainer these things can be dealt with. Has he always had SA, obviously not or you would have gotten rid of him long ago something started it. Figure out what it was and work with him to get him over it. Is their a health problem has he been to a vet could something wrong with him be causing it?
Old January 13th, 2005, 01:15 PM
Senior Contributor

Could you try a crate when you are out? Then he wouldn't be able to destroy your things.
Old January 13th, 2005, 01:19 PM
Senior Contributor

I"m not bashing, merely giving an opinion. I feel if Dez is found alive, he would be better off euthanized than to be sold for 1$ on Hoobly. What kind of a person would want an 8 year pit bull with severe SA who will tear their house apart? I would be extremely suspicious of anyone who did want him and would thorougly grill them as to their intentions.

bteves - how bad is Dez? He has been tearing your house apart for 8 years or is this something new? If it's something new, perhaps it could be worked on..??

I am deeply hoping that Dez was found and is being cared for. :sad:
Old January 13th, 2005, 01:22 PM

im the owner

Finally some positive statements!! I will have to look into all of those things if I do find him alive. I would love to keep him in the condo if he would learn to behave and not destroy things like the front door. I think he has had SA for a long long time, but at my parents house my mom was always home. I used to get home from work and she would say that he was crying or barking all day and looking out the window, but I think it was different because she was there. At the condo he was alone in an unfamiliar place. He could hear people walking by or doing things on the other side of the door in the hallway. There were so many changes for him. I did purchase a condo that allows pets. The problem is not the place I bought but that he did not adapt to it. Now maybe he needed more time and more help and I didnt know of any other things like medication or behavoural things that Mastiff mentioned. I tried finding him a new loving home, and I also tried to adapt him to the new condo. I bought him an indoor metal bar exercise pen (6'x2'); he tore it apart; along with his nose. I tried keeping him in one room and he scratched the door like crazy. He just wouldnt behave. I didnt know what else to do and I thought he would be ok with someone who wanted to take care of him.
Old January 13th, 2005, 01:23 PM

Should Dez be found alive and well I would (actually I would be doing this now) look for a behaviourist to help Dez with his SA.I would advertise for a doggysitter while I am at work or try doggy daycare if they are willing to try.Temporary meds for SA untill another option comes along.

Of course no one has a crystal ball and can predict the future.I would learn from my mistake with trying to rehome Dez and spend more time integrating him into his new home.Of course the dog ran away,he was in a strange place without you untill he felt safe enough to be left alone he shouldn't have been. IMO that was the biggest mistake that led to this. This is not bashing,or laying blame for this unfortunate incident ,you asked i'm offering advise.
Old January 13th, 2005, 01:28 PM
And Zoodle's Mom!

A few things I'd like to say:

1) We don't know if Dez is dead or alive at this moment, so let's deal with what will happen to him later if he is found alive.

2) Someone may have taken him in and has not taken him to a vet because they are not caring people like we are.

My ex boyfriend had a pit who got loose(after I had left him). He was with a GSD at the time. The GSD came home a few days later but Jesse(PIT) never did. My ex thinks his neighbour shot the dog because he didn't like him. I think he could have been picked up by someone and they kept him. With the way society is today, a similar situation could very well have happened to Dez. You never know.

I don't mean to sound like a pessimistic but we have to think of all of the options. Sometimes looking for a lost animal is like looking for a needle in a haystack.
Old January 13th, 2005, 01:28 PM

Are you too far away for your mom to babysit when your at work? Or is she not willing too?
Old January 13th, 2005, 01:33 PM

im the owner

I thought of putting him to sleep instead of putting up with his bad behavour or finding him a new home. I mean he was 8. I gave him 8 amazing years and he gave me the same. If my situation was bad enough where he couldnt stay with me anymore and he couldnt stay with someone else either (now I know this), then putting him to sleep made a little bit of sense even though I didnt want to do it, but he wouldve been ok, I wouldve known what happened to him, he wouldve died painlessly and happy knowing that I loved him and that I didnt want to give him away. I know some of you people are so against euthanasia, and I am to unless the dog is sick and is in pain, and that why I left that option as the last thing I wuld try. I tried with as many things as I knew of at the condo, secondly I tried to have him with new owners, and once I felt that wasnt going to work I wouldve had to go to option 3, but that didnt happen. The occasion where dez got free was the 2nd time he spent with Whinnie-boo. The first time was pretty good from her description. I mean yeah he whined a little and stayed by the top of the stairs waiting for me, but there were times where he socialized with them and their dogs and we thought he just needed more time with them to get more comfortable. We were wrong. It was a mistake. I feel guilty that I did not see what my dog didnt want. For that I am truely, truely sorry to Dezmond.
Old January 13th, 2005, 01:35 PM
banned user

Quote:
Originally Posted by bteves
bugsy...if you found him you wouldnt return him??? Geez, I wonder then what would you do with him? Keep him? Try to battle through his SA? Give him away to another home? Tell me what would you do then. What is the best answer in your eyes to deal with this situation if he was found alive?
Although I may not know the whole situation... I will try to answer this from "your shoes".

You could try to re-home him. Dezmond's reaction was completely normal... he wanted to be back home. Only time would have changed this scenario.
There are many people on this board who would be more than happy to try and help you re-home Dez, although you have to be willing to help us help you. You must understand our point too. We cannot agree with putting a healthy dog down (if it is your intention).

Personally yes.. I would take him in. Yes I would deal with his SA, yes he may very well chew the house apart... but at this point he'll have to compete with Bugsy...on who gets to chew what.

You may not know this because you are new to the board... but many people here are involved with animal rescue on one level or another. We know that there are many other choices besides the Black or White answer.. you just have to be willing to listen.

So many have come forward to help you already...
Old January 13th, 2005, 01:43 PM
And Zoodle's Mom!

bteves,

Dezmond might have been uncomfortable with Whinnie-Boo because she had other animals at her house. This may have made his anxiety worse! If he was rehomed with someone who had no pets he may have been a little better--you never know!! As well as being with a stranger, that wouldn't have helped him out any either. No matter what, it would still take alot of time to transition him.
Old January 13th, 2005, 01:47 PM

im the owner

that is true today (that a lot of people are helping). I at first got a lot of bad and negative responses because of Whinnie-boo's history here and I was not aware of that. I appreciate everyone's help even those of you who say the negative things are really thinking of Dez first and that's right. I would love to see my dog again. I would love the 2nd chance of working with him and other professionals to keep him behaved in my condo. But I dont know that will happen. Today is the 8th day he is missing. We've searched and searched for him, calling his name and whistleing in vast areas. He doesnt respond. What else are we to think? There is the possibility that someone not caring took him and doesnt want to help and fix his injuries, and if that is the case that kills me inside and I pray that God can help him escape and find help. I will continue with search party on Saturday in the fields and hopefully find something. I appreciate and honour all of you who are thinking of him and praying for him.
Old January 13th, 2005, 01:58 PM
And Zoodle's Mom!

Did you just move to the new place?? Do you take Dez out away from your place often?? He may be trying to find his way home(either to the new home or old home). Have you looked around your usual route you take him??
Old January 13th, 2005, 02:00 PM
And Zoodle's Mom!

Pits have a very high pain tolerance. When they have something in mind, they do it! He may be trying to find his way home!