Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old March 14th, 2001, 10:49 AM

Hi,

My neighbours just got a pitbull puppy and my daughter wants to play with him. I am not worried about my daughter playing with the pitbull now, but I do worry about what will happen as the dog gets older.

What do you think I should do?

Thanks

Sarnia
Old March 22nd, 2001, 12:13 PM

Post gentle pitbull owners have gentle pitbulls

Hi Sarnia

I would not worry about the pitbull growing up aggressive
UNLESS the owners are aggressive and train the dog to be aggressive.

Pitbulls get a bad name when they bite people...but i am a gentle owner of a pitbull and my pitbull is gentle too.

Brutus loves children, loves other pets and is an absolute treasure.

Those yappy little dogs are more likely to bite you than any pitbull owned by a non-aggressive person.

if you get an aggressive person training a german shepherd, a collie or a poodle...chances are you get an aggressive dog.

It's all about how the dog is treated and not about the breed itself...

ophelia
Old April 14th, 2001, 06:27 PM

Smile

i understand your concerns, and i do believe as one of your replies indicated, is that it really depends on the way the dog is raised. i would keep the lines of communication open. talk to your neighbor about your concerns, perhaps ask them how they plan to train their puppy. Do they seem like responsible dog owners? do they treat their dog with aggression? another thing to remember, is to teach your daughter to respect the dog, as well. no animal wants to be taunted or poked. keep your eyes open and be aware that dogs are dogs. i would not let my daughter play someone elses dog unattended, at least until your daughter is old enough to know when a dog doesn't want to play, perhaps isn't feeling well, or just doesn't want to be bothered. good luck, and enjoy the puppy, its a wonderful experience to watch a puppy grow up into an adult dog and have a wonderful bond.
Old June 27th, 2001, 02:47 PM

Wink We must remember: it's not the dogs, but the dog owners....

Hello "Sarnia",

I must say I definately agree with Ophelia.

Whether or not a dog will bite depends greatly on how he was raised. Was he encouraged to engage in bad behaviour? If yes, then it can only be expected that he will.

Again, adding to Ophelia's comment, yappy little dogs, are far more common when it comes to being biters. Many little dogs are just spoiled way too much for their own good and for the good of others.
Many owners of little dogs think that they are "too small", or "too young" to be punished, or that "it looks cute" and "they'll never hurt anyone".
The fact is, that by not reprimanding the dog, and essentially encouraging the bad behaviour, that is what should be expected of the dog; for him to bite.
What ends up happening is because the dog was never reprimanded for that kind of behaviour, he thinks it is acceptable.

Working at a veterinary clinic myself, I am especially cautious around the little dogs. They are the ones who tend to give us a harder time. lol

Don't get me wrong though, I do in fact like little dogs, but as my username implies, I'm a little more partial to the big guys, lol

I think the best thing for you to do, is just make sure your daughter is supervised when playing with your neighbour's dog, as at this point in time, it would not be wise to leave your daughter alone with a strange dog. (I mean strange like as in "stranger" or not well known)

And as "kulurfulbeads" stated: "keep the lines of communication open. talk to your neighbor about your concerns, perhaps ask them how they plan to train their puppy."
Just watch how he is treated and how he reacts to different situations.

I hope everything works out fine and you can enjoy the company of what can definately be a sweet dog!

~~

Old March 21st, 2005, 07:59 PM
banned user

Hi Boisian, you look fairly new... so, welcome!!!
This post that you replied to is 4 years old.
When you click on a post that interests you look at the top left corner for a date.
Old March 21st, 2005, 08:03 PM
Senior Contributor

As everyone else has said it is truly about the owners and the way they are raised. But I might add I would never leave any child alone with a dog whether it be your own family pet or someone elses. This is when most kids are bit, always make sure they are supervised. I also would worry more about the purse dogs then a pit bull (they really do get a bad rap) any dog can be vicous. If you train a dog with aggression that is what you will get, raise them with positive training and you will get a loving non aggressive dog.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old March 21st, 2005, 09:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastifflover
As everyone else has said it is truly about the owners and the way they are raised. But I might add I would never leave any child alone with a dog whether it be your own family pet or someone elses. This is when most kids are bit, always make sure they are supervised. I also would worry more about the purse dogs then a pit bull (they really do get a bad rap) any dog can be vicous. If you train a dog with aggression that is what you will get, raise them with positive training and you will get a loving non aggressive dog.

Well it's four years later. I wonder how it worked out.
Old March 21st, 2005, 10:27 PM

Ya, I too wonder how the kid turned out...

Heh heh.