Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old December 31st, 2004, 12:22 PM
ZiggyZuzuZoeyRaggzy&Keena

Unhappy My Poor Little Dog has a Herniated Disc.

Yesterday morning my little Hobo started acting somewhat lethargic but we figured he was just tired from the Holidays. This morning he would not come down the stairs for breakfast and we knew we had to call the Vet. Just got back and she says she has a herniated disc @ T13/L1. Apparently it is quite common in Shih Tzus, which he is part (other part Wheaten Terrier). She is very encouraged as he still has very good response in his back paws and she has put him on Prednisone for the next week. She says to be on the look out for him to begin staggering as this type of injury can lead to complete paralysis and surgery is required within 24 hours.

Has anyone else dealt with this. She says he will never be normal and needs to be crated when we are not home for his own protection. He is three years old and we have had him about a year and a half. He has always had the run of the house and we have a 10.5 yr old Golden who will continue to have the run of the house. My brain is dead right now...can't think straight. Any help, suggestions, comments would be appreciated.

Thanks and HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE AND FURBABIES TOO!!!!
Old December 31st, 2004, 12:45 PM
Senior Contributor

I haven't had any experience with this, fortunately. I found this article on the web. Perhaps it'll help.

http://www.vet.purdue.edu/cpr/IVDD.html

I'm sorry Hobo is going through this! I wish him a speedy and successful recovery!
Old January 1st, 2005, 11:08 AM
ZiggyZuzuZoeyRaggzy&Keena

Red face Things are looking better

Thanks Glasslass. That is pretty much what the Vet had told us too.

Yesterday evening, after the second prednisone tablet, we began to see a HUGE difference. He actually started moving about again and his tail curled up (it had gone straight) and was wagging. His eyes had more life to them and he wanted to be pet and cuddled. He even barked when my boyfriend came home and he had not barked in two days...music to my ears!!! The Vet warned not to let him do too much as the prednisone was only masking the pain not curing it but at least he seems so much more comfortable. Now it will be difficult not to walk him for the next week as he requires complete rest (anyone ever attempted "complete rest" on a terrier before!!). Fortunately, I took Ginger (the golden) for a walk this morning in the woods and she would have none of it...barking and growling and every other dog. I truly believe she missed Hobo as she wanted to go "to the car" as soon as I mentioned it. So I suppose her walks will be minimal for the next little while too. Just as well...with all the freezing rain the streets are like ice rinks!

Still would love to hear from anyone with any experience on this particular problem in dogs as I have never met anyone and really don't know what to expect once the prednisone runs out.

HAPPY 2005!!!!