Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants > Pet Stories - anecdotes - jokes

Closed Thread

Old December 29th, 2004, 03:40 PM
banned user

Dogs age

I have a pittbull and she's 6 months old, is she still growing? at what age is she going to stop growing? at what age is she still be considered as a puppy/adult?
Old December 29th, 2004, 03:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Well I would say they become full grown height wise at around a 1 1/2 . I have an almost 2 year old and he hasnt grown much for a while but he has filled out. Im sure he will continue filling out a little for another year. I could be wrong because Im just going on how hes growing. But I have noticed in the past couple months he has grown width wise in his chest and has become more musclular. Hopefully a real expert will give the real just of it as I am interested also. Anyone?
Old December 29th, 2004, 05:52 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

not an expert..

Generally by 1 year of age a dog has reached its maximum height. By two years of age they have filled out and developed width wise. The extra large breeds can be slower to grow to maximum height. Hope this helps a bit.
Old December 29th, 2004, 07:28 PM
Senior Contributor

And about 4 years to mature mentally. At least , that's how long it took Den-Den to settle down!
Old December 29th, 2004, 08:38 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

I hope so

Gosh, my big guy is just a year old and I pray each day that by four he has matured. It's either that or we will have to rebuild our house
Old December 30th, 2004, 11:51 AM

She should keep growing height wise until about 14-16 months. She'll fill in until she is about 2 yrs old. And actually, I find (I'm not an expert) that of all the breeds I've had experience with, PITS tend to stay Puppy like the longest. They are always clowns, and full of energy, those things never change, but they should be listening to your commands none the less.

Hope that helps.....each puppy is so different.
2 Medium Haired All Black Cats:
Robert Age 1 1/2
Mango Age 2 1/2
"PIT-BULLS ARE LIKE POTATO CHIPS......YOU CAN NEVER HAVE JUST ONE"
Old January 1st, 2005, 12:06 AM
Senior Contributor

I'm not an expert by any means, but I regret to tell you guys that I have a SEVEN year old "puppy" at home, not a Pit but crazy none the less.........and yes BMD, forget the house!! LOL!!
Old January 1st, 2005, 07:54 AM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

hopes dashed

Shhhhhh Twinmommy, you've crushed my hopes of ever having a sofa without parts missing or doorframes that have mouldings intact!
Old January 1st, 2005, 09:37 AM
Senior Contributor

Den-Den3 was a little ; From the first day, he fit right in, playing with his toys, never chewing or getting into things. Then one day when he was about 4 mos, he chewed off the edge of the wallboard around "his" window in the livingroom. About 3" of it, about 1/2" deep. Then he never did anything like that again. When we painted the room years later, we repaired that little corner. Almost broke my heart to erase the memory! Big sigh! But, obviously I didn't erase it or I wouldn't be telling it!
Old January 7th, 2005, 08:25 PM
banned user

urrrrrgh

my dog vomits everytime he rides a car =/ any suggestion? she is a pitbull
Old January 7th, 2005, 08:39 PM
Senior Contributor

Bmd---moulding?? What's a moulding??!!

Glasslass--Gypsy chewed the foot of my piano when she was a pup, we drew a "gold" heart around it.

Windox--get a biiiiiiiig bucket!
Old January 7th, 2005, 08:58 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

haha twinmommy, lookie here

This is a day in the life with Guinness the destructo dog!
Attached Images

Old January 7th, 2005, 08:59 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

so is this

and this.....
Attached Images

Old January 7th, 2005, 10:01 PM
Senior Contributor

uh oh!! BMD!!

Wow, that's pretty nasty, see what happens when destructo dog doesn't have a job??
(outside the house, that is!!) or wait let me rephase that, maybe destructo-dog's job IS the house!! lol (I know it's not funny but what can you do?)

Gypsy once ate an entire 2 boxes of Christmas decorations,back in the old days when I thought crating a puppy while I was gone was "sad"

And I mean the ENTIRE 2 boxes, balls, wreaths, garlands, "broom thingie" for the archway, you name it! Even the cardboard box!! (thank god she didn't get sick)--but we had red and green poop until about Valentine's Day!!!
Old January 8th, 2005, 07:17 AM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

lol

Destructo Dog is crated when I am out, if you can believe this, he manages to do this when I give him his meals. I figure he should eat and then have a few minutes to digest then out for a romp. If I leave him for more than 15 minutes, he gets bored and eats a wall or a door frame. He is definitely our challenge dog. Did I mention he jumps 5 foot fences as well? Where does he go when he does?.... to the front door step to wait for me to open the door. Not after being out a long time either, appears he has a 15 minute restriction on everything in life.
Old January 8th, 2005, 10:04 PM
Senior Contributor

Don't you think that these dogs were somehow meant for us though?? LOL!!
I know I always claimed to NOT me materialistic...and these doggies make us put our money where our mouth is....LITERALLY!!

one of Gypsy's worst was chewing a whole bag of brand new underwear/bras-($$$ )-I had gone to Winner's-- she even ate the underwire!!! I swear to god this dog could digest rusty nails!!!

She's doing really good btw, one major feat this week, one of my daughter's grabbed her back legs (major no-no for her, bad hips) and Gypsy just sat there drooling!!(Keep in mind if they are together, I am now holding Gypsy's mouth just in case) I can't even touch her back legs without getting a snarl!!!
I'm so impressed with her behaviour of late. I know never to trust her, but it's just nice to see her so mellow.
Old January 9th, 2005, 09:49 AM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

that's great...

news. Glad Gypsy is finding her spot in the home more and more. You worked hard to achieve this!

And yes, the problems critters always end up staying here and I just look at the house, roll my eyes and say "I am SO not Martha Stewart!"
Old January 9th, 2005, 11:41 AM
Senior Contributor

me neither!!! God no!! My MIL has all these great ideas--Martha-ish things for me to do in my spare time!!!! WHAT SPARE TIME??!!?!?!

(unless of course she means the time I spend on the computer, posting...heh he eh hehe
Old January 12th, 2005, 09:56 AM

Smile Goofy

One of my gang is twelve and I've been saying she's just a goofy puppy since she was eight weeks and exactly when will she grow up mentally? She's the only dog who has a sense of humour and actually smiles when she's happy and not when she wants to be a submisive suck!I'm glad some of them never grow up!
Old January 12th, 2005, 10:10 AM
Senior Contributor

You guys completely hijacked this thread! LOL!

WINDOX: Your pit bull puppy should stop growing at about 1 year old. And fillout for another year or so. We consulted our vet and he told us it was alright to change to adult food at 1 year. I would talk to your vet.

Have you begun obedience training with her yet? We started at 5 months and notice a HUGE change in her attitude! She listens VERY well!
Old January 12th, 2005, 02:34 PM
Senior Contributor

Twinmommy I am so pleased that Gypsy is doing so well that is great news. BMD my Neo developed SA after he decided that I was really going to keep him he was in 6 different homes before me. I came home one day and I can laugh now but I cried then to 1 queen size mattress 1 down duvet and 4 down pillows destroyed. I opened the door and there were feathers everywhere. Greeting me at the door was a neo with feather stuck in his drool wagging his nub, I wanted to kill him so I cried and slept on the floor for 2 weeks till I had enough saved to buy a new mattress. If you have ever tried to clean feathers up it is horrible they keep flying everywhere. I found feathers for months.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old January 12th, 2005, 06:39 PM
Senior Contributor

don't mean to laugh but...

I think if gave out an award for "Worst Doggie Disaster.." the winner is......Mastiflover!!! LOL I guess you can laugh now, but MAN do we want to KILL them when we walk in to it!!! I can soooooo relate!!! 2weeks on the floor!! You're an
Old January 12th, 2005, 09:50 PM
Senior Contributor

Reading all these posts had me in stitches!
Attached Images

Old January 12th, 2005, 09:51 PM
Senior Contributor

Really! LOL!
Attached Images

Old February 14th, 2005, 10:46 AM
banned user

menstration

do dogs have menstration? if so, when? and how often? and if someone happen to know how to train your dog to jump high, can you please reply cause my dog can only jump 4-6 inches, she's a pitbull...6 months
Attached Images

Old February 14th, 2005, 10:53 AM
And Zoodle's Mom!

If your dog is six months of age NOW is the time to haver her SPAYED!!!! Don't know and don't care about her menstration just care about her being SPAYED!!

Why do you want your dog to jump high??????
Old February 14th, 2005, 10:57 AM
Senior Contributor

The jumping should ust come to her. We used to hold up a ball or toy that she really likes and got her to jump higher and higher to reach it. She now can jump about 6 feet. She doesn't understand how to get over a fence or anything (I don't think)... but she can sure jump high now!

It's great exercise for them. Jumping takes a lot of energy and they love it.

Please, get her spayed ASAP, she could come into heat anytime now. I would make an appointment soon.
Old February 14th, 2005, 11:06 AM
banned user

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastifflover
Twinmommy I am so pleased that Gypsy is doing so well that is great news. BMD my Neo developed SA after he decided that I was really going to keep him he was in 6 different homes before me. I came home one day and I can laugh now but I cried then to 1 queen size mattress 1 down duvet and 4 down pillows destroyed. I opened the door and there were feathers everywhere. Greeting me at the door was a neo with feather stuck in his drool wagging his nub, I wanted to kill him so I cried and slept on the floor for 2 weeks till I had enough saved to buy a new mattress. If you have ever tried to clean feathers up it is horrible they keep flying everywhere. I found feathers for months.
Yup yup, Bugsy has done this minus the mattress. Duvet & pillows... trashed! Still finding feathers too. Now I stick to poly-fill pillows.
Old February 14th, 2005, 11:47 AM
banned user

I don't want her to get spayed I want more puppies...I'm just wondering if do they get menstration and how often, just once or everytime they are heating thanks for the reply
Attached Images

Old February 14th, 2005, 11:55 AM
And Zoodle's Mom!

Get her SPAYED!!!!!!!!!! You are nothing more than a BYB and it is people like you who contribute to abused, neglected animals!! Not to mention your contribution to dog fighting if the pups end up with the wrong people!!!!!!