Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old December 29th, 2004, 12:49 PM

Grooming supplies for Finnish Spitz?

We just adopted a Finnish Spitz from a local dog rescue group. The rescue is going really well! Our Finnie is house trained and is fairly mellow in the house. She's also a great walking buddy!

We have noticed that her fur is a little dry. In part, we believe that's because she was being fed Alpo at her foster house. We've switched her over to Eukanuba and expect that her fur will regain some sheen fairly soon.

My question is what spray on conditioners/grooming sprays have you all used on dogs? We have been using Avo-Derm on her and feel that's doing some good -- but I'm wondering what else we can do for her. She's loving all the attention, that's for sure!

Thanks for any input!

--Finnie Mom
Old December 29th, 2004, 01:37 PM
Senior Contributor

HI and welcome! Congrats on adopting a dog!

Eukanuba is not really good food either. I would put her on better quality food and that should improve her coat a lot. My dog's hair was dry, dull and shedding in handfuls when I got her. I started feeding her Wellness and now her coat is sleek, glossy and nearly non-shedding.

Just one hint - don't be giving her too many baths. They don't need it and this dries out coat and skin. IF you don't already have one, a shedding comb is a wonderful tool for removing dead and loose hair!
Old December 29th, 2004, 06:06 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

omega 3 supplement

You can also add omega 3 to her meals. The fatty fish oils work wonders on a dogs coat and help to give them that extra boost they need on the road to a shiny coat. Alpo will have definitely robbed her system of anything nutritional.