Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old December 28th, 2004, 05:46 PM

Booger bit my daughter......

Booger's appointment for neutering was cancelled by the vet and rescheduled for January 10th. This evening he went in heat and is meowing alot and since this he has bit my daughter and scratched her. She wasn't bothering him; he came over to her and rubbed into her and when she bent down he bit her cheek very hard. The scratch happened when she was laying down watching TV and he just came over to her and stuck his toenails in her. Is this normal when a cat is in heat? Booger is 8 months old andis a male cat. He is an indoor cat also. Please help!!
Old December 28th, 2004, 05:50 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

ummmm

I have never heard of a male cat being in heat. Maybe someone else has?
Old December 28th, 2004, 05:54 PM

male cats do not go into heat, only females do. I don't know the behavior of mature males because i never had one but my female does have mood swings that sound like that. as far as the aggressive behavior my cat will do this if she wants to play, she doesn't realize she is being too rough. Sometimes cats are moody. I hope your daughter is ok. cat bites can be bad and get infected easily. maybe he needs more play time to tire him out and keep him out of trouble. I'm not sure exactly what to tell you but i hope everything works out. I'm sorry your having this trouble.
Old December 28th, 2004, 05:54 PM

well whatever it is called when male cats are in the "mood"....LOL. I know for a fact that he is in the mood because he tried to get it on with Maxie my female cat and she gave him the brush off. She's spayed in case you are wondering. Please help!! Is is normal for cats to hurt humans when in "the mood"??
Old December 28th, 2004, 05:59 PM

Thanks Jackie.....My daughter will be fine but I am concerned about leaving Booger in tonight; he sleeps with my daughter. I'll probably put him in the back porch tonight with food, water, litterbox and his bed; just to be safe. This is the first time he has done anything like this!! He plays all day; he is very active!!
Old December 28th, 2004, 06:01 PM

i'm not sure with cats but in dogs aggression can be linked to them being intact. once they are neutered their hormones even out and they relax a little, sometimes not immeadatly but not too far after. It could have something to do with the aggression, I wouldn't think it would be that big of a difference in a cat from a dog but i'm not sure. hopefully after he gets neutered he'll stop. but there are never any guerentees. Oh and just an idea but keep an eye out for spraying because he'll probably start that soon if he's already humping. wish i could be of more help. if your in canada it might be too cold outside for him tonight, maybe you could put him in the bathroom?
Old December 28th, 2004, 06:09 PM

When i said I'd put him in the back porch I should have explained...our house has a front porch and a back porch {it's very comfortable there}; maybe you call it a "mudroom". He won't be outside I can assure you. He's hasn't been outside in his life other than when we brought him home. Thank you for you reply.
Old December 28th, 2004, 07:15 PM
Senior Contributor

Before male cats are neutered - and especially during the mating "season" - they can be aggressive. They think they are playing. I read recently someone note that watching cats do it is pretty ughhh! The male cat bites the female. So if he is inclined to need a female cat, my guess is your daughter played with him and he just went too far.

That said, cat bites are serious and you should put betadine (never live without it, lol) on the bite area and make sure it does not get it infected- cover it with a bandaid. (I am probably telling you what you already know).

I am sure Booger will be fine once he has his surgery.
Old December 28th, 2004, 07:28 PM
Senior Contributor

I know when my female cat was to get spayed,she came into heat.They still did the spay.It did cost and extra $25,but that was ok.She is now 3 and the spay during heat did not effect her.She is very healthy.Maybe you can talk to the vet on still having it done now instead of the 10th?
Old December 28th, 2004, 07:46 PM
Senior Contributor

As has been mentioned, male cats do NOT go into estrus (heat). Estrus is caused by hormones produced in the ovaries, which male cats do not have.

Intact tom cats can (but do not always) become somewhat aggressive and are can be prone to fits of irritation. They can get over stimulated and bite to release pent up energy.

Your cat should mellow out after he is neutered.
Old December 28th, 2004, 08:02 PM
Senior Contributor

LR,do you see any problems getting this male cat neutered now?
Old December 28th, 2004, 08:04 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

Male cats (and dogs) do not "go in heat".

How old is your daughter?
Old December 28th, 2004, 08:51 PM

my daughter is 4 years old. Since he bit her she is nervous to let him near her. As for getting him neutered earlier; the 10th is the earliest available appointment the vet had. She lives almost three hours away from me and is the only one in our area. I hope he gets over it quickly. How long do males cats take to get over it?
Old December 28th, 2004, 10:04 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxie's mom
my daughter is 4 years old. Since he bit her she is nervous to let him near her. As for getting him neutered earlier; the 10th is the earliest available appointment the vet had. She lives almost three hours away from me and is the only one in our area. I hope he gets over it quickly. How long do males cats take to get over it?

At 8 months of age your cat is a teenager...Is your daughter gentle when around Booger? At 4, they can play a little rough.....(your daughter that is..)
Old December 28th, 2004, 10:13 PM
Senior Contributor

Booger will only "get over it" when he is neutered. Are there any other vets where this one is? Perhaps just a little further? I ask because I drove some 8 hours to get special treatment for my rabbit so just wondered if that was something you could do - in terms of time and other resources.

But really, Booger should be fine. He is just flexing his adolescent feline pent up energy, as LR points out.

It is really not so abnornal for a cat to bite - if they are scared, overstimulated, declawed tho admittedly not all declawed cats turn into biters but most do when they are aggressive (tho that is not the situation here), and if they feel the need to fight back. Also, if he was used to biting as a younger kitten in play, he may think it's OK now.

Good luck!!
Old December 29th, 2004, 07:45 AM

My daughter is very gentle with the cats. She loves them to pieces. Booger has never bit anyone; he is usually very loving. I saw him bite my daughter; she was just walking along and he ran up to her meowing very loudly and when she bent down to rub him he just bit her face. He has been constantly meowing very loudly all morning. He is still trying on his charms with Maxie {my female cat} but she wants nothing to do with him. Also his pee smells really bad; after one use of the litter box it has to be changed and cleaned. I swear you can smell it throughout the entire house. Thanks for replying.
Old December 29th, 2004, 10:36 AM
Senior Contributor

His pee smells bad because he is entering sexual maturity. That will go away after he is neutered, but not immediately.